Looking for information about SA Dirk Miller

CIDAA Forum: Looking for Someone? (Public): Looking for information about SA Dirk Miller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Mattiaccio (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 03:58 pm:  Edit

I contacted command a few months back about the updated list. I also noticed at the time that Dirk Miller's name was not on the ODMP and submitted his information and POC at Command for the update to the ODMP and also submitted a photo. If Dirk Miller doesn't qualify for line of duty, noone does....all the best...Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony_japuntich (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:49 pm:  Edit

Mike, I agree with you. I was the SA from Ft. Campbell for the two trips to the Sinai and Dirk took over after me. On the trips I advised the battalion staff concerning security of their weapons (especially when we stopped in Greece!) and they took my advice, even though the airport folks didn't like it. I was worried even then about terrorist incidents as well as the weapons.

Dirk worked for me briefly and I found him to be a really good guy and good agent. He married one of our office secretaries. It's been so long since then that I no longer remember her name, but she was really a good secretary and a great person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 06:59 am:  Edit

Good point, Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mjclifford (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:30 pm:  Edit

Larry:

Dirk was killed returning from official CID duties in the Sinai at the time of his death on an official US military charter. He would have also been required to act as a CID Agent if something came within the purview of the command while aboard the aircraft. It would be similar to a State Trooper, killed in his cruiser while returning home at the conclusion of his shift. I really don't see how Dirk's death could be ruled by the board as not being in the line-of-duty. Is it possible that the board did not have all the facts regarding his status, the flight, that CID agents are not ever considered "off duty" by the Army or the purview of the command?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:38 am:  Edit

When I was the Federal Liaison Officer at CIDC (circa 1988 to 1991) the CIDC Public Affairs Office was involved in compiling the list of SAs for the proposed Law Enforcement Memorial. Dirk Miller was included on this list. If my memory serves me correctly, the board determined that his death (plane crash) was not Line of Duty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 06:49 pm:  Edit

I did a Google search for SA Miller which took me to the ODMP site. There I found that SA Miller is included with other SAs that have been killed. SA Miller is at: http://www.odmp.org/officer/19405-special-agent-dirk-a.-miller
I was not able to determine when SA Miller's information was entered. I hope this helps, or is what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Clifford (Mjclifford) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:45 pm:  Edit

Please feel free to contact me. I knew Dirk. While he was serving at Fort Campbell, I was assigned at Fort Knox. I am listed in the CIDAA gold book and the home contact information is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leanne Heggen Eckstein (Mammaeck) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:40 am:  Edit

In May I posted a list of agents killed in the line of duty. Roy Achong noted that Dirk Miller was not on the list. When I checked with the Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial and ODMP I found that he was not listed on their rosters. Roy and I have been in contact with Jeffrey Castro at Public Affairs who told me that they need additional information. Mr. Miller was killed in December 1985 in Gander, Newfoundland, in the crash of a charter plane returning members of the 101st to Fort Campbell. If anyone has information about him, such as next of kin, that may help us in having his name added to the Memorial. Thank you for any help you all may have to offer. Leanne Heggen Eckstein

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: