Heidelberg Office

CIDAA Forum: Looking for Someone? (Public): Heidelberg Office
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 05:19 pm:  Edit

Yep, I think you're right "Lanita" sounds correct ... but I was close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kert Bradford (Kmbrad) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 01:37 pm:  Edit

Joe, I forget about Ben Gormley. Sorry about that. The main support gal was Lanita Odom. She was there in the 70s and she was still there when I went back there in the early 80s. I even ran into Bill MaGuire again and Bob Scara. Even Dick Perry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 02:16 pm:  Edit

Yep Jess, that's him, Ben Gormley ... I remember that I admired him. He was the case review, made sure reports were acceptable before sending to REgion in Ft. Meade. Thanks for that.

JWR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jess D Todd (Jess_todd) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 01:55 pm:  Edit

Joe: I believe you are now talking about someone who was in time frame. If memory serves me right that would have been Ben Gormley. KNEW HIM IN MID 50S. He was with 44th at Palace of Justice in Nurnberg(Exchange system)but lived in housing near Wm O'Darby. Had large family. Had telephone conversation with him in early 70s from BATF office in Seattle regarding suspect going overseas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 06:35 pm:  Edit

Kert,
Yep, small world and getting smaller with all these gatdgets for communications. Juanita was the only name I can remember from the support staff ... Black lady who was terrific. I wonder if you remember the guys name that did the report reviews before they were sent to region? He was a bit older, in civilian capacity ... I think retired CID, and had to keep glycerine tablets handy because of heart condition?

By the way ... where are you located now?

JWR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kert Bradford (Kmbrad) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:38 pm:  Edit

We were at Dix at the same time and yes, I was there between 72-76. Lou Hartman, Dick Shook, Buck Corey, Bill MaGuire, Jerry Simonsen, Bob Scara, Bob Knottek, Ted Handley, Bob Carney and a whole bunch of people I can't remember this minute. Yes the support staff was super and I thought I would never forget their names(but just did). I ended up back at Dix 82-84 and some of the support staff were still there. Small world Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 03:05 pm:  Edit

OK here it is:
The evidence seems overwhelming that Det A moved in '72 ... I concede and stand before all of you humbly apologetic.

I guess it happened something like this:

May '70 I reported to Det A and was immediately assigned to cases that kept me on the road - my family was housed in Military housing address was 15A San Juan Hill, Heidelberg.

My typical work routine was always working in distant locations returning for weekends about every three weeks or so, sometimes sooner.
(this routine contributed to some of my confusion I suppose)

In '72 following events that some of us called the "Ides of March" Det A moved to Manheim.

My work routine rsumed and continued basically the same until ...

May '73 I returned to US with family, and was stationed at Ft. Dix until retirement in '77.

Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

So we can let this matter rest I suppose.

JWR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Volk (Ste3ven_volk) on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:29 pm:  Edit

Joe, the Heidelberg RA was then actually co-located with the MP Station in the first building on the left as you entered the Heidelberg Shopping Center. Same building where you signed up for your German telephone (with the Bundespost), and where you registered your POV. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Thornburg (Steve_thornburg) on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:49 am:  Edit

I wish my memory was as good as Dan's, but I'll try to contribute. I arrived at Mannheim FO in Feb of 71, out of the CID Basic Course. Paul Lehrman was SAC and was replaced by Bob Graham. The Ops at Det D, 6th MP Group, was Charles Russell. The FO was on the 2nd floor and Det D on the 3rd. As an apprentice agent, I worked for Mike Seeley. The old man of the office was Bob Strong, an E-7 with 26 years in grade. I was only there 10 months because of a compassionate re-assignment to Ft Ord. I can picture a lot of faces, but have trouble remembering all the names. I remember one thing, we were really busy. The racial strife in the Army at that time was terrible. African American soldiers were demonstrating against the Courts Martial of a black soldier (who's name I forget) for fragging two Lts in the RVN. Several hundered soldiers actually took over downtown Mannheim and the MPs and CID had the unpleasant task of trying to get them to go back to their barracks. Fun times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 09:31 am:  Edit

Steve, thanks for adding that reminder, it does help to support my thinking that the move took place in '73, because when the car bombs exploded at Campbel Barracks (I was working a club case down in Nuernberg when it happened, and remember distinctly being concerned when I heard of it, because I had my faminly in Heidelberg).I know that I worked in Nuerenberg a long time after the bombing incident. Also my wife and I remember that my oldest daughter was in first grade and came home from school to tell us one of her schoolmates dad was killed in the bombing. My daughter finished first grade there and enrolled in second grade at Ft. Dix in Sep '73.

I am beginning remember, I think, that there was a "local" CID office at Campbell Barracks that was distinctly seperate of Det A. As I was always, as were most of the Det A agents, working in areas away from heidelberg. On average we would return on a Friday and on M onday morning get mail, process vouchers, etc, turn in documents and prog report, and be Tue or Wed back on the road for two or three weeks. This, I think, contributes to a lot of the confusion.

As confused as I am, I remain stubborn that Det A moved to Manheim in early '73 and I returned to CONUS in May of the same year.

Sorry I am so stubborn. It really isn't all that important, thanks to all who have responded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Volk (Ste3ven_volk) on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:05 am:  Edit

I reported to the Heidelberg RA 1 May 1972, with the 9th MP Gp (CI) still located on Campbell Barracks. On 22 May of that year the German Baader-Meinhof-Gang (later self appointed Red Army Faction) exploded two bombs on Campbell Barracks killing three service members. I became a part of the CID team investigating the bombing in support of the German police-led investigation. I give this background because members of the former Det A arrived at the crime scenes from their offices, which I believe were, at least in part, still located on Campbell Barracks at that time. I know that the Mannheim FO was operational when I came to Heidelberg because Gary Price, the Ops of the Mannheim FO, was one of at least 6 or 7, maybe a few more, senior agents called in to support the first phase of the investigation. So Joe, if it is down to the question was the move in 1972 or 1973, I'd have to say it was in 1972.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:33 pm:  Edit

Well Kent, I was definitely at Ft Dix between '73 and retired from there in Feb of '77. So we must have been there at the same time. You remember Hartman? He and I worked together ... as I recall I had the distin guished title of the office "Criminal Intelligence Officer" .... a program command was attempting to establish where we would share worldwide among the CID offices ... not so succdssful in my opinion. Hartman and I did a lot of work on the POL stuff during the alleged fuel shortage crisis.

A very social group, enjoyed many parties in the "outhouse", that little "secret" building out back. Maguire was chief and the Corey's came in with the big boat?

Ft Dix was a whole experience in iteself. But this adds to the confustion ... you sure it was '72? I am almost positive I returned to CONUS in May '73. But I am now an old man, who knows?

One thing about the Dix office was the outstanding office support staff, those gals were terrific and ran that office.

Hey, thanks for the response and jiggling my memory some more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kert Bradford (Kmbrad) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:13 pm:  Edit

Joe, I wasn't in Germany at that time but I sure remember serving with you somewhere. It sure seems like we served together at Dix sometime between 1972 and 1976. My memory is now as bad as yours. Dan White is good at the various "detachments" when I didn't pay that much attention and only regarded them as RA, BO, Field Office, etc. Shame on me. Kert Bradford,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 03:45 pm:  Edit

Wow guys, it was a long time ago wasn't it? Now at age 74 I challenge my memory when I can't even remember how old I am sometimes. Thanks for your help guys, but I am really getting confused. Any chance you, like me, have a bit of memory confusion about the year?

I don't remember any of the names Dan, and I am certain (almost - I think), that I left Germany in May of '73 and had just moved with Det A from Heidelberg to Manheim only a couple of months before departure.

'72 or '73, that seems to be the question now. It matters only in that all the names you mentioned are not familiar to me. But as I said ... it was a long time ago and I am an old man now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. White (Danwhite1176) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:29 am:  Edit

The old Det A moved from Heidelberg to Turley Barracks (Mannheim), and became the Mannheim Field Office. The move was prior to 09/72 as that is when I PCSd to Mannheim from Korea. The Mannheim FO was the Special Ops and home of the Level One Drugs and Club & Mess or "special" investigations that were going on within the newly formed Second Region when we were no longer the CID Agency under the PMG and became CID Command under COL Tufts. The Commander of the Mannheim FO was LTC Claude Sparhawk Owens and the OPS was Gary Price when arrived. I agree with Bill Ivory that Jimmy Johnson was not there at that time. John Mays, Cecil Trussell, Bob Graham, Tommy Graham, ?? Johnson who was Cecil's brother in law, Clyde Paige, Tom Presley, McCormick, John Thomas, Gerald Fergaldie (sp), Rutherford (sp), Don Peace, Chuck Newmiller, 1LT Dan Lynch, Frank Powell, are a few of the names I can recall being at Mannheim at the time. Second Region HQ was at Campbell Barracks in Heidelberg and COL Yowell was the Region Commander. Tim Mayfield was the SAC of the Heidelberg RA and Steve Volk was there. Thats about the best I can do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:13 pm:  Edit

OK. It was the Detachment A office. I think another CID office took the space after Det A moved to Manheim. The move probably took place about May of '73. Det A, I think, was renamed "Manheim Field Office".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:50 pm:  Edit

I was there at that time but do not remember Jimmy Johnson being there or moving to Mannheim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:05 am:  Edit

I would like to make e-mail contact with anyone that was assigned to the Heidelberg office working for Jimmy Johnson in early '73 - and who took part in the office move to Manheim. My e-mail addy is:
Tired_Warrior@epix.net

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: