SA (Ret) Jon R. Woodman - Seriously Injured

CIDAA Forum: Hospitalization and/or Serious Illness (Public): SA (Ret) Jon R. Woodman - Seriously Injured
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:37 am:  Edit

This is an excerpt of an email from Jon...

Folks: Had my first follow-up, since my discharge, with a real Doctor yesterday. Got to see a couple of the x-rays to see what damage I managed to inflict on myself. Let's just say we won't be walking through metal detectors without setting off lots of alarms anymore, even if stripped naked... (I know, I know, TMI and not a visual any of you want to be left with...)

Have another ten weeks of no weight whatsoever on he right leg. Left scapula is healing OK so not much they can do with that. Only other injury this doctor was concerned with was the broken bone in the right foot which is healing well too. Course when I asked abut the spine and arm and other shoulder, he informed me I would have to follow-up with another doctor for those. Ah specialized medicine! Not so convenient for the patient though... Will make that appointment this AM... That I guess will be the most important in determining when I return to work. Having to wear that spine brace plus the wheelchair is a no go. Anyway... while the excursion was rather long and tiring, was a huge improvement over the trip home from the hospital a couple of weeks ago, which was excruciating. We are making progress. Thanks to everyone for their well wishes, prayers and support over the past couple of weeks. Hope to see everyone soon. More to come in the ensuing weeks...

Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allbright (Don1952) on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:25 pm:  Edit

I've know Jon for 20 years. He has had along string of bad luck. I'm sorry to hear the trend is continuing. The positive side, it sounds like he is making some progress and improving. I wish him the very best on his road to recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stakes (Stakesw) on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:31 pm:  Edit

Spoke to Jon he is doing well considering, joked about getting him a bell; however, knowing Linda that wouldn't last long at all.....

Hang in there Jon, see ya soon.. PS Congrats to Ashley having graduated from the PD academy..

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:14 am:  Edit

Jon came home Friday!! Now comes the rehab. Best thing of all....he will be home to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 08:53 pm:  Edit

I believe I have some idea how he may be feeling, last year I also was hit while riding my motorcycle by a driver talking on a cell phone.
I wish Jon a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 01:26 pm:  Edit

Visited with Jon yesterday. He had his right leg operated on and is now recovering. He was awake and talking about work already - go figure! We enjoyed our visit during which he made mention of all the support and wonderful wishes he's received.

Thanks to all who have supported a true blue member of the LEO family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 01:28 pm:  Edit

Spoke with Linda Woodman last night. Jon is progressing along but still in a tremendous amount of pain. He is able to speak and stay "awake" for short periods of time. Right now, he's scheduled for surgery early next week on his right leg. Linda and the kids are doing well under the circumstances and have let me know the amount of care from friends and family has been wonderful. She is keeping copies of all your letters, emails, etc for Jon to read when able. Thanks to all of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 04:58 pm:  Edit

Our prayers are with you and your family Jon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerold J. Unruh (Jerry_unruh) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:47 am:  Edit

Pete, thanks for keeping us all in the loop on this -- Jon, you are a keeper, we need you to get well soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:27 pm:  Edit

I was glad to learn from the last post that Jon is making progress down the road to recovery. It does appear from the initial post that the outcome could have been far worse. Please let Jon know that I am among those who have him and his family in their thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for a very speedy recovery, Jon. ~~Chuck McNichols

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:42 am:  Edit

I just spoke with Jon for a few moments. He was having his tubes removed from his chest and seems to be in good spirits actually joking about coming to work next week...although we would appreciate it!

Thanks for all the emails and calls already. I will make sure your comments get to him. Again, once he is mobile and ready for calls, I'll provide more detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Deming (Pdeming) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:26 am:  Edit

About 4PM, Saturday, 6/16/07, Jon was involved in a very serious motorcycle accident. While riding his motorcycle, a careless driver backed their vehicle out of a blind driveway and in front of Jon causing him to take immediate evasive maneuvers. Since there was no escape route available, Jon chose to lay the bike down instead of hitting the vehicle.

He suffered a variety of extremely serious injuries including some bleeding on his brain, broken bones, and a semi-collapsed lung. He is currently within the intensive care unit at a Fairfax, Virginia hospital.

As of today, 6/19/07, his current prognosis looks promising. He appears to have no spinal nerve damage and is verbal with improving responsiveness. Since hes in a high degree of pain, hes obviously pretty medicated. A planned surgery to repair his right leg was postponed pending further testing and continuing treatment.

Because he is in and out of ICU, his family has asked to send cards of encouragement and flowers, etc., to his home address: 12032 Wright Lane, Bristow, VA 20136.

I will make further postings to update you on his recovery. Please keep Jon and his wonderfully strong family in your thoughts and prayers. I know Linda, Ashley, Cameron and Jon will appreciate your CID support.

Do What Has to Be Done!

Pete Deming

Peter.Deming@ic.fbi.gov

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: