Birthdays

CIDAA Forum: Hospitalization and/or Serious Illness (Public): Birthdays
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 03:59 pm:  Edit

Thanks for the input, Howard. My friends, here, are right - I guess it does get worse. Oh well! Guess I'll just get used to ... Uh, what were we talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Bates (Omarisan) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:20 am:  Edit

Russ, Ooooooo, now I get it. (Duh) I went to my new doctor about a year ago and he asked if I suffered from what I think you are talking about. I had to tell him that I don't remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:24 am:  Edit

Howard - Not sure. I thought senior moments had more to do with momentary confusion and absentmindednes or forgetfulness. I've been dealing with that on a gradually increasing basis for a good while. Get'n used to that and learning to compensate. But, naming something as something entirely different seems to be an added diminsion, altogether. Not really worried about it ... just curious. Like, is there a scientific name for it? No matter. I'd likely just call it something entirely different, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Bates (Omarisan) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:25 am:  Edit

Russ, are you referring to what the medical community calls the CRS Syndrom?? I hit 73 last week and I frequently suffer from CRS. Some folks call it "Senior Moments."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 07:12 am:  Edit

Dwight - two things: We have met at New Orleans, and much earlier when I was just a MPI OJT working at Ft Hood FO. But there is no reason for you to remember that.

2nd: I really do realize that life goes on after 60. Fact is, I don't feel more than a day or two more than 50. At least I don't think so. Memory may be faulty about that. Actually, I'm counting on a lot of fun years, especially after Violet finishes her High Three and retires so we can do some long awaited travel. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not really worried about it all. Just still a bit perplexed about that unidentified condition that no one else seems to want to talk about. Oh, well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight C. Bishop (Bish8726) on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:21 pm:  Edit

Belated Happy Birthday John-- I just didn't realize that you were so much younger than me, although I do remember you was just a kid when I first met you in 1948--Time does fly, when you're having fun- I just turned 84 in November and just Praise The Lord that I'm still here. Old age is not too bad, if it didn't hurt so! Russ, I never met you, but take it from me, there's lots of life after that big 60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:  Edit

Tony - I suggest Hawaii - for the next honeymoon. Or, I hear New Guinnea is a good choice.

I've been threatening to get a job, too - just to get a break! Never worked harder than I have for Violet.

Good to know you're back in the world. We need to get together, again. Violet is insisting we attend the next CIDAA meeting - maybe there. Better yet, you and Vickie could visit East Texas. Maybe we could visit you guys - Lord knows I need a good vacation.

I have to say that with comments like yours and John's and an email or two, I feel encouraged about this 60 thing. But no one has told me anything to clarify that yet unidentified condition I had previously mentioned. I'm still stimied about that.

I guess that applying for social security will be my next pertinent milestone. Figure it might be wise to do it earliest before it all goes away.

Good to hear from you, as always, Tony. Again, glad you're home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Japuntich (Tony_japuntich) on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 09:42 pm:  Edit

Russ,

Guess what - I applied for SS last week! Now that does make a man feel like a senior citizen. I actually thought to ask for the senior citizen discount at the restaurant last week.

I'm already thinking about going back to work, though, as Vickie has already had me doing that house stuff, too. I think I'd rather work and pay somebody else to do it!

We will celebrate 40 this June. As we had a 2nd honeymoon when I was stationed in Panama in 1977, we're thinking about a 3d honeymoon, but haven't yet decided for sure where we'll go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 09:01 pm:  Edit

John - thanks for the encouragement. I feel a lot better already. Not real sure about what, since my memory has an occasional stagger, these days. Still, good to know you've done so well for 78 years. Happy Birthday, again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. DuBois (Dubois) on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 04:17 pm:  Edit

Russ: Thanks for the Happy Birthday. I reached the grand old age of 78 today - that's years not months. One doesn't really start to think "old" until age 70. But having a trophy wife helps to slow the process somewhat. In the past two weeks I have been to three black tie affairs, five cocktail parties, and two drunk-outings. Man! It is tiring and I guess I'll have to slow down. It seems my "trophy' wife is tiring somewhat and complains that I am making her old. Hang in there - you'll be ok. Hope that you'll have many more Happy Birthdays - like me. Regards John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 01:56 pm:  Edit

Probably shouldn't mention it, but I will anyway. Yesterday, I turned 60 years of age. Not used to the idea, yet. Probably won't til I'm about 70. Violet's birthday is today, but she is a lot younger than me. Wouldn't call her a trophy wife - we don't adhere to that concept - but she is certainly the best one for me.

Shortly after we got married (I was an ECISP attached to the Carlilse Barracks RA) Marie Dunlop asked Violet - "Uh...Violet, which one are you?" Violet laughed and told Marie, "The third and the last!"

For those of you who might remember Violet, she was a word processor clerk and mail clerk at the Ft Belvoir FO in the early '80s. That's where I met her while on a case out of the old Washington Procurement Office at the Pentagon. Now, she is a GS-13 ATF compliance investigator making more money than I ever did. Real Proud of her.

I'm supposed to be retired, now. But a lot of you know that doesn't really work. Violet, of course has other ideas. She doesn't do "hunny - do lists." She only believes in major rennovation and construction projects. The list is overwhelming. The next, scheduled to begin this early spring, is to build a new porch across the front of the house with a fancy sunroom in the middle. Probably one of the simpler projects she has given me. I have already built a fancy spa house, a pool house and adjacent decks, all nestled in a tree grove just off the back yard. This New Year weekend, she had me totally rennovate the master suite hall and walkin closets / dressing room. Well, at least there's a little light at the end of the tunnel. Violet plans to retire in about two years - and she wants everything done by then. I can't wait!

Back to my birthday - a couple of weeks ago we attended a charitable fund raiser, and I had a chance to talk with a couple of good friends a bit older than me. I mentioned that I was about to turn 60 and that I'd noticed that besides a little absentmindedness, I had begun struggling with another condition yet unidentified. I mentioined that I would sometimes try to name something simple but call it something else that generally begins with the same letter (e.g., instead of saying glass, I might say glove - an exagerrated example). All my friends said was, "It gets worse," and changed the subject.

There are other things that suddenly occur when you turn 60, it seems. This morning I painted a little nightstand for a granddaughter - a gift Violet had decided upon. Later, I shaved, washed up and combed my hair. In the mirror I noticed a significant amount of white on my sideburns. I asked Violet whether it looked like I had gotten paint in my hair. "Nope," she said, emphatically, "It's just gray hair." Well, last week the gray hair on my head was confined to just a little around the crown. I've noticed a few other things sorta like that since yesterday, that I won't bother to mention. But, it's a bit unnerving and whether I like it or not, I'm a bit surprised by it all. Like I said, maybe I'll get used to it by 70.

Well, I've probably gone on long enough, but I will mention that Violet and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this coming April. As Violet would say, "Twenty-five looonnng years!" Considering she's spent all that time being married to me ... well, God Bless her!

You all have a good day, and if it happens to be your birthday - Happy Birthday. If you just turned 60 - remember, you're not alone.

Russ Youngblood

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: