Allan Stein will have Heart Bypass Surgery

CIDAA Forum: Hospitalization and/or Serious Illness (Public): Allan Stein will have Heart Bypass Surgery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doc Sautter by way of email to Ed German (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 09:56 pm:  Edit

Found this in one of my mail folders this evening... Apologies for delayed posting. Members and visitors, please remember that you may post here even if you have no password. Members, please email Carl Craig and Ed German at their email addresses in the Gold Book if you need help with resetting your password:

On Apr 25, 2011, at 10:42 PM, "William Sautter" <mountain@ellijay.com> wrote:

Hello Ed………..Please Post concerning Al Stein Thanx. Doc Sautter

As some of you may have surmised, I haven't been on the internet for about two weeks. My modem died, and they had to send me a new one. The day after I received the new modem, I became ill and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. (I wasn't planning any hospital trips this year.) While in the hospital, they did a bronchoscopy (flexible tube down the throat and into the lungs) and found a foreign object in my trachea just behind the incision they made into my throat during my hospitalization last summer. They aren't sure if it is a non-dissolving stitch or something that came off the equipment they put into my throat. Anyway, it has to come out. Next Wednesday, they are going to try to remove it with a flexible probe down my throat. If that doesn't work, they will use a rigid probe, again down the throat. If they can't remove it with that, they will have to surgically remove it. Initially, I will go into the hospital as a day surgery patient, but if the latter is necessary, I'll stay longer. The main problem in addition to this foreign object, is the fear that I will begin uncontrollably. They had to open me up two additional times after the heart surgery last year because they couldn't keep the bleeding stopped.

Anyway, I am home again; my computer is up and running, and everything is good. I think.

Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Stein (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 07:40 pm:  Edit

With all the wonderful coments, made by many people that I call my friends, it was almost, but not quite worth going into the hospital. However, it was not worth it. I had three surgeries in the first twenty four hours, and was not aware of my surroundings for four or five weeks. One fellow who I have known for many years, wouldn't come into intensive care because he wanted to remember me as he had known me, not unconscious with tubes coming out of many different places. He, like some others didn't expect me to live, but I fooled them all.

However, I am home, taking physical therapy twice a week at the hospital and visiting many doctors repeatedly. I have progressed from bed-ridden, to a walker, to a cane, and sometimes, just me walking a few steps on my own. I have had wonderful care from my family, especially my wonderful wife, Marilyn. She has been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder since June, and is now, starting to do better. The thoughts and prayers of so many people have been extremely helpful in pulling both of us through this ordeal. I firmly believe that the prayers were the single most important thing that enabled me to pull through.

I am still unable to drive a car and with all the appointments that I have been having, I'm not going to able to attend the CIDAA bash this year. (It's a darn shame with the event taking place in almost my back yard.) I was involved in the early planning stages, and I am confident that it's going to be a memorable event. If you can overlook the traffic, Atlanta is a pretty nice place to visit. Living in the outskirts is better. I'm sorry that I won't be able to greet you personally, but I'll be thinking of you and praying that the meeting will meet your every expectations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:56 pm:  Edit

Reported by daughter Linda on the Caring Bridge Website; Al will be going home this coming Friday, 20 August 2010. Needless to say, this has been a harrowing 70+ day recovery for Al, and extremely hard on his family as they have constantly been by his side, while at the same time taking care of him and their jobs and respective families. We're all happy to hear this news and pray that nothing derails his going home.

On a personal note, I have known Al Stein since 1963 when a very young Al, directly out of CID School, arrived at the famous 19th CID at Camp Red Cloud, Uijong-Bu, Korea. Eager to learn, with a strong work ethic, Al left his mark on CID by
his many successful accomplishments and assignments; Polygraph School and Instructor at the Polygraph School. We have kept in touch over the years at CIDAA meetings. I know it's asking a little too much, but if he is feeling up to it, we hope that he might be able to visit with us during the CIDAA Meeting in Atlanta during 29 Sept - 2 October 2010. Hang in there Al. Best regards to you, Marilyn, and your extended families. Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:41 pm:  Edit

Reported by daughter Linda on the Caring Bridge Website; Al will be going home this coming Friday, 20 August 2010. Needless to say, this has been a harrowing 70+ day recovery for Al, and very hard on his family as they have been constantly by his side, while taking care of him and their jobs and respective families. We're all happy to hear this news and pray that nothing derails his going home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 06:43 pm:  Edit

Carl, many thanks for the updates on Al. Those of us who know him appreciate the updates. We'll continue to keep Al and his family in our prayers......Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:05 pm:  Edit

Al has been admitted to Wellstar Cobb Hospital ICU with some sort of lung infection (possibly pneumonia) - All Pray that this is just a little set back and he will be back on his way to recovery soon. He is back on the ventilator, and feeding tube. A CT scan was done and it does not appear he had a stroke although they will do an EEG to make sure. The good news is his vitals are good and they have turned the vent settings way down and will get him off the vent ASAP. Please continue to keep Al and his family in your prayers. Addendum: Latest word is that Al is off the ventilator, out of the ICU, and back into a regular room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:36 pm:  Edit

Although Al seems to be making some progress, his recovery is still slow and he remains on dialysis. He is currently at the Windy Hill Road Hospital and Rehabilitation Center, 2540 Windy Hill Road Marietta,Georgia. It would appear that he would not be able to speak with anyone on the phone. You can check Al's daily progress which is posted by a member of his family and also view and sign the guest book at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/allanstein
Let Al, Marilyn and the Stein family know we're all pulling for Al's recovery. During the process of Al's surgery and very lengthy recovery and rehabilitation, Marilyn has experienced some rather severe health issues too, so please keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers.
Carl - Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 10:34 pm:  Edit

Information provided by William Sautter on 3 July 2010. Reposted here by Moderator

Al continues to make progress. He is off the ventilator but still on dialysis in ICU. His progress may be followed on caringbridge.org Click on Visit tab in upper left then enter allanstein in the website search block. William Sautter for the Atlanta CIDAA Brothers

You can also Copy/Paste to your browser:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/allanstein

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 01:47 pm:  Edit

Information provided by Jack Fay on Saturday, 26 June 2010.

On June 8, Allan Stein underwent routine by-pass surgery at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. The surgery went well but an infection set in. As of today, Jun 26, Allan is still in the ICU. His family has been there with him every day. Reported by John "Jack" Fay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:40 pm:  Edit

Allan Stein informed me tonight that he will be having heart bypass surgery on Tuesday, 8 June 2010. He requests that "If any of you have any room on your prayer lists, he sure would appreciate having his name added to your list".

Please keep Allan and Marilyn, in your thoughts and prayers and lets all wish him a successful
operation and a speedy recovery. You may send cards or words of encouragement to Allan at the address on page 109 of the current Gold Book.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: