Request for Prayers - Michael Clifford

CIDAA Forum: Hospitalization and/or Serious Illness (Public): Request for Prayers - Michael Clifford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joyce E. Clifford (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:50 pm:  Edit

To all, Mike came through his C4/C5 fusion with flying colors. He now has stainless steel screws and plates in his neck so getting past TSA in Denver will be a real treat. His surgery was yesterday and I brought him home late this afternoon from University of Colorado Hospital. Now, he has at least a three-week recovery period riding the couch, wearing a neck brace and with no driving privileges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joyce E. Clifford (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:16 pm:  Edit

Well, Mike enters University of Colorado Hospital on Thursday, 9/25/2008, for a C4/C5 fusion. Tri-Care refused to pay for a disc replacement. His surgeon indicates he may be out as long as six weeks.

Anyone hearing of possible employment in the Denver area that he may be suitable for is asked to contact either one of us. His company laid him off when he wasn't able to return to Iraq within 30 days and his surgeon now indicates that she will not clear him for a return after he heals. So he is back looking for work. He is also willing to relocate as a "geographical bachelor".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 02:27 pm:  Edit

Joyce, tell Mike to hang in there. I have had two previous surgery's on my neck and may have to have another. The last one took 8 weeks to recover. I wishing him a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joyce E. Clifford (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:15 am:  Edit

This is to update everyone on Mike's medical condition.

Today, he and I met with his surgeon. As expected, Mike did not study hard enough to pass his SSEP test. He did well enough that the surgeon wants to initially operate on his ruptured disc at C4/C5 rather than T7/T8. If that does not relieve him of the present pain, the surgeon will entertain operating on his T7/T8.

The plan is for Mike to undergo a disc replacement rather than a fusion. Any fusion will require it to be fused to C5/C6 which was fused in 5/1999. This will leave Mike with a further restricted range-of-motion. Thus, the surgeon favors the replacement.

Mike will go through a pre-surgery appointment on 9/10/2008 and the surgery itself to be performed on 9/25/2008 at University of Colorado Hospital, located on the old Fitzsimons Hospital campus in Aurora, CO. Following that, recovery time will be about 90 days before Mike will be able to return to work.

Considering the replacement disc items are stainless steel, we hope to have Mike back traveling and convincing TSA screeners that he's safe to get on airplanes even though he sets off metal detectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lowell (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 08:24 am:  Edit

Mike

You've got a lot of friends out here praying for you. Don't forget that while you are recovering. I'm sure you'll be back on your feet soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 07:52 am:  Edit

Joyce - Prayer is enroute! God Bless you and Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Lee Culver (Ron6514) on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 07:28 pm:  Edit

Joyce,
LaDene and I will pray for you and Mike.
LaDene (Hoffmeister) and I were also at Ft. Leonardwood in 1980. LaDene was with MPI and I was MPI/DST. We were married in 1981. I too, have had neck surgery and understand the process Mike will be going through. I pray God will give the doctors the knowledge and skill for a successful surgery and recovery.
Ron L. Culver

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. White (Danwhite1176) on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:38 am:  Edit

Joyce: You, Mike and the family will be in our prayers. I will pass your email around to the old Ft Ord group too. Please keep us posted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerold J. Unruh (Jerry_unruh) on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:42 am:  Edit

Mike and Joyce, Hang in there -- you will both be in my thoughts and prayers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joyce E. Wickiser Clifford (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:09 pm:  Edit

As many of you know, Michael Clifford and I have been married to one another since June 1980 when we were each working at the Fort Leonard Wood Field Office. Some of you also are aware that Michael has been working in Iraq since November 2007. He came home on 6/19/2008 for a three-week vacation. Shortly after his arrival in Iraq, he had been complaining of neck and upper back pain and it continued to get worse as his vacation neared. We thought much of the pain was attributed to arthritis and possibly a failing fusion he had of C5/C6 back in 1999, following a work-related auto accident.

On 6/29/2008 a MRI found he actually injured himself in Iraq by rupturing two discs at C4/C5 and T7/T8. The rupture at C4/C5 is pinching the C5 root. The rupture at T7/T8 is compressing the spinal cord and obstructing the flow of spinal fluid.

He has a SSEP test tomorrow to determine which or both discs are to be operated on. Both have their own share of complications and hazards. But the surgery on the T7/T8 gives us the greatest concern, as it could leave him in chronic pain, with partial paralysis or with a significant chance of dying while on the operating table. T7/T8 is directly behind the heart.

I would ask that anyone that knows Mike or myself to please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We have been advised by doctors that he will have a long recovery period, especially if they operate on T7/T8.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: