William T. Sousa - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): William T. Sousa - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William G. Charest (Bill_charest) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 09:01 pm:  Edit

I first met Bill Sousa back in 1959. I was an MP in the 501st MP Detachment, Poitiers, France, and he was the Chief of a two-man CID cell with his office on the second floor of the PMO. Jim Bruce (RIP) was the other investigator. I hardly knew what the CID was at that time, but learned quickly.

The next time I saw Bill was when I was assigned to Uijongbu, Korea in 1966, after I was just accredited as a CID investigator. Bill was the Chief (commanding officer) of the 19th CID. The CID office was located on the opposite end of the building shared with the I Corps Provost Marshal at Camp Red Cloud. It was like old home week for a couple of days, then things got busy and never stopped for the rest of my tour of duty.

Bill Sousa was great as a person and always fair, but firm as a supervisor. Since I was breaking in as a newly accredited investigator, he made sure I got my feet wet on most every different type of crime that occurred. He took great pleasure in commanding a unit made up of people that got along well and and worked as a team.

On Fridays, it was his ritual that we'd get in our weekly PT requirement by joining him in a round of golf on the 9-hole golf course at Red Cloud. This is where I learned to play golf, thanks to Bill. Afterward, after he'd beat us all, we'd return to the hooch for one of his famously-prepared Brandy Alexanders.

I remember when he married An Sung Sin and am saddened to hear of her passing (by this notification).

Bill was a good friend, a fine commanding officer and he's now in a well-deserved better place. RIP, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Moody (Rob) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 05:43 pm:  Edit

I worked for Bill in Korea when I was a WO-nothing. He was ramrod of the 523d, Seoul. A good mentor and friend. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:41 pm:  Edit

I worked for Mr. Sousa as a brand new agent wanna-be at Fort Devens, MA, (circa 1965/66). Later if memory serves, we were together in Seoul, Korea during my assignment with the 2nd CID in 1966/67. I did not know him personally, but as I recall, he was a professional and well respected. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard S. (Dick) Stoyko (Dick_stoyko) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:30 pm:  Edit

I knew Bill in Korea and at Fort Devens. He was a great guy to work for and always put his men first. My wife and I knew he and his wife An very well. Our prayers go out to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:14 am:  Edit

CW4 (Ret) William Thomas "Bill" Sousa, 88, of Whitehall Township, PA, formerly of Leominster, MA, died in his home in Whitehall Manor on Friday, April 20, 2007. He was a son of the late Manuel J and Maria J Cabral. Bill was preceded in death by the former Edna-Mae Blockson of Media, PA, whom he married in 1946, and passed away in 1964; and the former An Sung Sin of North Korea, whom he married in 1966, and passed away in 2003. Bill was a long-time resident of Hudson, MA, where he worked for Independent Cable Company after retiring from the Army in 1971. He was a 30 year veteran, serving as an Infantry Officer during World War II in the Pacific, and as an Armored Officer during the Korean Conflict followed by CID until his retirement. Mr Sousa's numerous accolades include the Legion of Merit and a Purple Heart, both earned during World War II. A lifelong Red Sox fan, he was ecstatic to live to see the day the Red Sox won the World Series. Bill is survived by seven children, 10 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. Five brothers and two sisters also predeceased him. A Funeral Mass was celebrated on Saturday, May 5, 2007 at St John the Evangelist Church in Cambridge, MA. A reception to celebrate his life followed the Mass. Interment with full Military Honors will be at Arlington National Cemetery in August. In lieu of flowers, the family requested donations to the Alzheimer's Association, 311 Arsenal Street, Watertown, MA 02472. Keefe Funeral Home, 2175 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA is in charge. (Thanks to Jess Todd)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.