Peter E. Kearns - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Peter E. Kearns - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 05:36 pm:  Edit

My heart was truly fractured when I heard of Pete's death. He was,and is a great friend. We experienced the Macdonald murder case together and became fast buds. There will never be another "Pete". I miss him greatly. We spoke on the phone frequently, but not enough at the end.

Gladys, My heart is with you. Love you a bunch. I wish I could leap the distance from Arizona to Fayetteville to be with you, but My heart is there.

Bill Ivory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:04 pm:  Edit

I'm deeply saddened by the news of Peter Kearns passing. I was one of the Agents assigned to the re-investigation team based in Fayetteville along with Bill Ivory and Dick Mahon, the late Jack Bennett and others. It was an honor and privilege to work for Peter...he was dedicated to this case...he was harding working and a joy to be around socially. I would often jokingly refer to Peter as "Peter Lawford" and it would always bring a smile to his face. Although I have not personally seen Peter since the MacDonald murders, we have spoken telephonically and I have followed the televised interviews and documentaries about the murders over the years. I shall miss you Mr. Kearns...may you rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gladys. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 09:51 am:  Edit

CWO (Ret) Peter Kearns, who in 1979 helped lead the reinvestigation into the Jeffrey MacDonald murder case on Fort Bragg, died Tuesday, 28 August 2007, at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, Fayetteville, NC. He was 73.

Mr. Kearns helped lead a second group of investigators looking into the famous case of the Green Beret doctor who was convicted of killing his wife and daughters at their home. The case became material for the “Fatal Vision” book and made-for-TV movie. Mr Kearns, joined the investigation 10 months after the murders in 1970. After retiring from the Army, Mr Kearns spent 25 years selling real estate in Cumberland County. Mr Kearns described his role in the MacDonald case to a Fayetteville Observer-Times reporter in 1995.

John Hodges, now the Hope Mills police chief, was one of the original Army investigators on the case. He remembered Mr.Kearns as meticulous. “When he got onto something, he would stay with it until he finished it,” Chief Hodges said. “He was very dogged in the details.”

A visitation is scheduled for 2:45 PM Thursday at Rogers and Breece Funeral Home chapel on Ramsey Street. It will be followed with services 4: PM Burial will be in Lafayette Memorial Park.

Among the survivors are his wife, Gladys Kearns; sons, Marty Kearns and Charles Kearns; daughters, Kathleen DeLaurentis, Ann Fowler and Teresa Kearns. (Thanks to Ron Oakes)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: