Donald Leroy Burgess - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Donald Leroy Burgess - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Swails (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 08:41 pm:  Edit

I could never say enough good things about Don Burgess. He was one of the early mentors in my career with CID and his influence and professionalism carried on many years after I left that orgization up to this day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted_handley (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:23 pm:  Edit

I was very sorry to read about Don's passing. We served together in Nuremberg. He was a true professional and a gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Kuhn (Hkuhn) on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 04:49 pm:  Edit

I can't help but echo the words of Dick Greaves describing Don Burgess. RIP my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jess D Todd (Jess_todd) on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:04 pm:  Edit

Although I had known that Don Burgess was in bad health for a number of years as we conversed by telephone and E Mail, it came as a surprise when I received the information. Don and I served together as Enlisted Agents at Fort Ord and spent a lot of time together securing the required two years of qualified credits, thanks to the efforts of our CO Capt Peter Slusher. Don was already a M/Sgt, SP7 or whatever it was known at that time. I always found him to be an excellent friend, and best described as one of the good ones. I saw him both in Seattle and Las Vegas. I don't know of all the places that he was stationed but remember that he talked about Fort Sam (Texas). We talked of getting together in the local area several times but failed to do so. This, I regret very much. Do it before it is too late. Goodbye old buddy. May you rest in peace now as you have more than earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:  Edit

Dick, I was at the Seattle reunion and since that time, several members of the group, who were present, have passed away. Your mention of seeing Don there, should remind us, when our situtations allow for it, to attend the reunions. There is no better place to see old friends again and make new ones, as well as talk about the good times we had with those who are no longer with us. We also owe Mickey Head a debt of gratitude for letting us know, in a timely manner, about our losses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:17 pm:  Edit

Very sorry to hear of Don's passing. I first met him when he was in Nurnberg and I was in Ansbach. Without a doubt a true professional, and definitely a gentleman. Saw him again after many years at the Seattle reunion. Our thoughts and prayers to his family, and rest in peace, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:55 pm:  Edit

CW4 (Ret) Donald Leroy Burgess, age 77, died on August 6, 2007, after a long and courageous battle with cancer and heart disease.

Don was born in Brushy Knob, MO, to Richard P & Ruby Ellen (Jones) Burgess. The family left Missouri and first settled in Shady Cove, Oregon operating the first gas station in town. The family later moved to Klamath Falls, OR, then to Reno/Lake Tahoe, and Sacramento, CA. Don graduated from Sacramento High School in 1946. He returned to Klamath Falls where after a summer job with Weyerhaeuser, he joined the U S Army and was stationed in Herzogenaurauch, Germany. On May 8, 1953, he married the love of his life, Eva Amanada Eleonore Gross, who survives.

Don spent 27 years in the U S Army as a Criminal Investigator with the Army's CID and retired in 1973 as a Chief Warrant Officer 4. During his tenure with the CID he was asked to assist with various crimes being investigated by the German Police, INTERPOL, FBI and CIA. He received numerous awards and recognitions during his tenure in the military.

Don retired from the military in 1973. Shortly afterwards he was asked to implement the first training programs for the American Express Military Banking Program. He wrote two training manuals for military banking procedures that are still in use today. He retired once again after 15 years of service with American Express.

Among the survivors are his wife of 54 years, "Lore"; sons, Ron and Pam Burgess (Medford), Steve and Vera Burgess (Ashland) and Brian and Sybille Burgess (Nurnberg, Germany). Don also has two surviving sisters, Cleo Hutchinson-Wilson of Talent, OR and Darlene Burgess of Sacramento, CA. Don was "OPA" to six grandchildren. Ten nieces and nephews also survive

A celebration of life will be held at the Rogue Valley Country Club, OR, on Saturday, August 11, 2007, from 1: to 4: P.M. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Rogue Valley Medical Center and Providence Medford Medical Foundations. Arrangements are through Conger Morris, Medford, OR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jess Todd (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 05:31 pm:  Edit

I just received an E Mail from Ron Burgess who reported the death of his father Don Burgess. Death happened Monday evening but I don't have further information. In the past Don had been with his son in Oregon at times but had been in poor health due to heart problems. Part of his family resided in Germany while others lived in the states. Don and I were at Fort Ord about l960+
I will attempt to secure more info and post same

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: