Charles Ray “Charlie” Thorpe - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Charles Ray “Charlie” Thorpe - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest D. Hamm (Ernie) on Friday, April 01, 2022 - 02:04 pm:  Edit

I served as a military policeman with Ray (RC) at Chistose, Japan in early 1960's. Had a lot of quality time with Ray and Moyoko. I am using "Ray" because of an interesting aspect. I knew him as Ray Charles Thorpe and not as Charles Ray Thorpe. When he applied for marriage to Moyoko, there were a lot of forms and actions to occur. We were in the ASA at the time and marriages to foreign individuals, for security reasons, were discouraged and there were a lot of hoops to jump through. Well, one of the hoops was birth certificates and Ray (RC to our unit) discovered that his name was Charles Ray not Ray Charles. It took several trips to the American Consulate in Sapporo, Japan and corrective actions to RC's military records before the marriage was approved.

Did not know that Ray had moved over to CID after Japan. Wish I had been able to once again serve with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Admin) on Thursday, March 31, 2022 - 10:38 pm:  Edit

Charles Ray “Charlie” Thorpe

August 16, 1938 - June 26, 2021

Charlie Thorpe, age 82 of Dellrose, TN passed away June 26, 2021. Charles was born in Lincoln County on August 16, 1938 to Felix and Lela Cunningham Thorpe. He was a retired US Army Criminal Investigator, and a Vietnam Veteran who served his country for 25 years. After his retirement Charlie enjoyed the auction business with his nephew Jonathan.

Survivors include his sisters Linda Spray of Fayetteville; Sherry Clifton (Mike) Presti of Frankewing; and Brenda (Roger) Mitchell of Dellrose; brothers Harry (Fannie) Thorpe of Dellrose; and Mike Thorpe of McBurg and numerous nieces and nephews.

Mr. Thorpe was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Moyoko, and five brothers, David, James, Donald, Bill, and Tommy.

Charlie Thorpe's funeral service was conducted Tuesday on June 29, 2021 at Higgins Funeral Home, with Bro. Tommy Graham officiating. Burial beside his wife Moyoko Thorpe was in Wrights Cemetery, Frankwewing, TN.

The above information includes details online here at the time of this posting.

Cemetery details are per the Veteran's gravesite locator here.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: