John R. Schwartz - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): John R. Schwartz - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Coker (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, May 30, 2021 - 08:36 pm:  Edit

May God comfort you in the days ahead.I will be praying for you.

James Coker
Chaplain CIDAA Association

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas H Grass (Tgrass1707) on Saturday, March 13, 2021 - 03:53 am:  Edit

It is with sadness to read that John Schwartz has passed away. John was my classmate at the CID school at Ft McClellan, AL in 1976. He was always fun to be around and kept us all laughing. My deepest condolences to his family. Rest In Peace John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Member) on Saturday, March 06, 2021 - 11:20 am:  Edit

John R. Schwartz
November 1950 - February 2021
Funeral to occur in Sullivan, Illinois - tentatively Memorial Day weekend 2021

Due to complications with COPD, John R. Schwartz passed away on Friday, February 19, 2021, in his home with family in League City, Texas. He was 70 years old. John and his wife, Marsha Diana Schwartz (Taylor) were residing at 230 Creekview Street, League City, Texas 77573. John has been reunited with his family in God's Kingdom. They include his father and mother, Roger Schwartz and Jeanette "Granny" Schwartz (Pritts), and sisters, Peggy Greco Ipolito, and LouAnne Banks. Also celebrating alongside him in heaven is his brother from another mother, William "Bill" Gary, formerly of Atlanta, Georgia.

In November of 1950, John Schwartz was born the son of Roger Dean Schwartz and Evelyn Jeanette Schwartz (Pritts). John was raised in the town of Bethany, IL, which he fondly referred to as "Big B". He was a member of the First Christian Church of Bethany, IL. On January 28, 1970, John married his Sullivan sweetheart, Marsha Diana Taylor, at Jonathan Creek Christian Church in Moultrie County. He was drafted by the U.S. Army shortly thereafter.

An honorable 20 year career in the U.S Army took John and his family to assignments in Herlong, California; Wurzburg, Germany; Ft. Sill, Oklahoma; Ft. Meade, Maryland; Ft. McClellan, Alabama, and a final tour at the Pentagon. John retired as a Warrant Officer and served a majority of his time as a Criminal Investigation Command (CID) Agent specializing in Polygraph (Lie Detector). In his second career with the federal government he held many positions as a polygraph expert and was considered an ambassador for it nationally. A few of the jobs John served included the Deputy and Acting Director for the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DODPI) at Ft. McClellan, Alabama; Special Agent for the Department of Justice (DOJ)/Office of the Inspector General (OIG) in Houston, Texas; and Director with U.S. Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)/Credibility Assessment Division (CAD)/Office of Internal Affairs in Houston, Texas. Following the 911 attacks, DOJ sent John on special assignment to Afghanistan in 2004 to polygraph and interrogate suspected Taliban terrorists. He officially retired from government service in 2017 to spend more time with his family and loved ones.

More important than his career, John Schwartz, was best known as a loving son, brother, husband, father, and Papa to his family. He was many things to many people. John was a selfless man who put his family and friends first. He never forgot his humble family roots and upbringing in Bethany, Illinois that served as his basis in life. John always shared these experiences and teachings with his family and just as importantly his friends and colleagues that he worked with. He positively impacted many and is forever fondly remembered for it.

Survivors include his wife, Marsha Diana Schwartz (Taylor) of League City Texas; son Toby (Sylia) Schwartz of Pass Christian, Mississippi; and daughter, Rachel (Jarrod) Adams of Webster, Texas. Grandchildren are Ciara Bagwell of Charlotte, North Carolina, John Tristan Schwartz, Titus Schwartz, and Heidi Schwartz of Pass Christian Mississippi, and Taylor Schwartz of Webster, Texas; John's surviving sisters are Janet (Alex) Shealy, Kay (Ted) Atkinson, Shirley (Lowell) Ford of Bethany, and Zona (Jerry) Speasl of Pleasanton, California.

Services are being tentatively set for Memorial Day Weekend. Visitation is tentative for Sunday, May 30, 2021 at Reed Funeral Home, Sullivan, IL (Map Link). Funeral services are tentative for Memorial Day, Monday, May 31, 2021 in Bethany, IL. A scholarship for law enforcement polygraphers will be set up in John's name.

An updated obituary with firm dates and times will be published again in the News Progress at a later time.

The above info was modified from details at the Reed Funeral home website by your webservant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 - 08:46 am:  Edit

I have now been told that CW4 (Ret) John Schwartz passed away on 19 February 2021.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dannie Taylor (Danniet) on Sunday, February 21, 2021 - 10:02 pm:  Edit

Iím heartbroken at Johnís passing. When John came into CID ar Wurzburg Germany he was my Probie. Our families were very close. John and I were appointed Warrant on the same day 1May 1978 at Wurzburg District. R.I.P. little brother.

Spoke with Marsha and Toby today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Tuesday, February 16, 2021 - 01:38 am:  Edit

John Swartz. Good man. Outstanding polygrapher. Bad news! May God be with and comfort him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry H.G. Mungle (Sheepdog) on Tuesday, January 26, 2021 - 11:13 am:  Edit

I received this information this morning concerning a long time friend and the person that persuaded me to join the ranks of polygraph in CID, CW4 (Ret) John Schwartz. I sadly pass this information on to those that know him. He is in hospice with an estimated 2-4 months left.~ Henry Mungle

"Update, if you would like to share with others

I spoke at length with Toby (John's son) last night. John has end stage COPD along with complications from COPD. His blood pressure is very high and they are having difficulty bringing it down. This puts him at risk of a heart attack. Due to the end stage COPD, he has difficulty breathing and is on oxygen. I am flying to Houston Monday to see John. Toby is also flying in on Monday.

For those that want to contact John, he loves receiving text messages and is quick to respond. He has even mastered the use of emoji's! His cell number is: 832-509-9798. If anyone chooses to call him, understand John is very weak and due to his breathing difficulties, he can only talk for very short periods.

Esther Harwell
C3A Contract Polygraph Examiner
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR)
Credibility Assessment Division"

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: