Gary E. George - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Gary E. George - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald L. Keller (Don_keller) on Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 01:19 pm:  Edit

Gary's memorial service is scheduled for 3:00 PM Aug 12, 2022, Arlington National Cemetery. Arrive / check in time by 2:30 PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 - 03:23 pm:  Edit

Saddened to hear of Gary’s passing. First met him in our D.C. days, and recall his Mercedes two-seater. Subsequent to his heart transplant, he told me his heart had been down to 16% effective, and was grateful for the transplant. In our retirement years, it was good to see him at some of the annual CIDAA gatherings. Always had a pic of his German Shepherd with him. Peace be with him, and with hits family.
........Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Henson (Flhenson) on Saturday, April 17, 2021 - 08:09 am:  Edit

Gary and I were both assigned to the MP Company at Ft Monmouth, NJ, in 1961 and 1962. At the time both of us were E-4's. He was a bright and intelligent MP and was destined to be successful in anything he wanted to do. I departed Ft Monmouth enroute to Berlin Germany in November 1962 and our paths never crossed again but I heard a lot of high praise of Gary from Bill Ambrose before he passed. RIP Gary, You will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary L. Kehoe (Gary) on Monday, April 12, 2021 - 11:37 am:  Edit

A Great OPS Officer, I met him at Camp Casey in the late 70's. Great times in the CID Lounge, loved his country music. The Thunder Runs of TDC were also an event to behold. He had a flair for "Case Review Comments" and as long as you were not the recipient of the commentary you would laugh until you cried. He did not like the answer No. I remember on a large Black Market Case he closed and put Crime Scene Tape around the Camp Casey APO. A legend! He will be missed. RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 - 04:06 am:  Edit

I met Gary when assigned to the Agency/Command in the early 1970's. I recall his failing heart and heart transplant event. He was fortunate to get the heart of a person in DC who was a homicide victims. I recall the "cabin" owned by Ray Gagon and later bought by Gary when Ray moved to South America. Gary, Ray, Jim Nelson, Jack Bennett and the rest of the bachelors in CIDC back then had some good times together. The cabin was "out Route 66 near Front Royal. Years later, I would tell people we would travel to that cabin when Route 66 was just a one lane dirt road. (Slight exaggeration!) Gary realized how fortunate he was to have gotten the new heart. May he RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 - 07:47 am:  Edit

CW4 (Ret) Gary Edward George, 82, of Front Royal, VA, passed away Tuesday, January 12, 2021, at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. George was born in 1938 in Rhinebeck, NY, son of the late Leonard and Florence George. He was a veteran of the United States Army and was most proud of his military service. Mr. George was a Criminal Investigator for the US Army before his retirement. He loved technology and had “every toy imaginable”, enjoyed flying his drones, and had a passion for German Shepherds. Mr. George was a recipient of a transplanted heart, which he named Jerome, and his family is forever grateful for the extra, priceless 20+ years given to him.

Surviving are his daughters, Patricia D. Campbell and Sandra Crabtree and husband, John; sister, Carole Bloom and husband, Ron; ten grandchildren; his loving great grandchildren; cousins and many dear friends.

Along with his parents, Mr. George was preceded in death by a daughter, Deborah Kryger and son-in-law, Troy Campbell.

A graveside service will be at a later date. Arrangements are being handled by Omps Funeral Home, Amherst Chapel.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Gary’s memory to any heart related organ donation/recovery organization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald L. Keller (Don_keller) on Monday, January 18, 2021 - 07:19 pm:  Edit

Gary's obituary: https://ompsfuneralhome.com/obituary/gary-edward-george/

His family would greatly appreciate your condolences and memories, also posted there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Whitrock (Tjw) on Thursday, January 14, 2021 - 09:12 pm:  Edit

I was fortunate to have worked for Gary E.George twice. Once in 1972-73 at Grafenwoehr where he was the SAC and I was a rookie. The second time was in 1980 where he was the Ops at Camp Casey and I was the SAC of the Camp Howze BO. He picked me up at Gimpo Air Port on New Year’s Eve and carried me to Camp Howze – that was the kind of leader he was – one of the best. We stayed close with frequent visit and outings while I lived in Virginia, and by email and phone after I moved to Texas. His health started going downhill pretty quickly over the last couple years, but he got a lot of mileage out of his heart transplant and beat the averages. God speed old friend – you are sorely missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest D. Hamm (Ernie) on Thursday, January 14, 2021 - 11:25 am:  Edit

So sorry to hear of Gary's passing. We were together in the CID Warrant Officer Advanced Course in May 1975, but never served together. I believe Gary may have been the Chief at Grafenwoehr in 1979 that tried (unsuccessfully) to talk me out of a portable latent processing kit when I was dispatched from Frankfurt for a homicide scene. Not sure because memories are getting pretty crowded in the cobwebs these days.

RIP, Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas G Wilkin II (Tom_wilkin) on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 07:58 pm:  Edit

In June/July, 1977, I reported to Washington District, Fort Myer, VA and CW4 Gary George was the Ops Officer. He was my first real CONUS "The Chief" that I worked for. By watching how he managed and dealt with the Good & Bad of a major CID office I learned a lot and the best being: "Take care of your people and they will take care of the mission." He was a real role model for my WO career. For some strange reason he use to call me "TT" and one day I asked him why? He told me it was for Terrible Tom; he knew me very well. We have stayed friends all these years and, Carmen and I, visited him a couple times, at his Cabin that Roy speaks of. May His Memory Be Eternal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royston Evans Flanders (Roy) on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 03:06 pm:  Edit

I knew Gary from Walter Reed in the 70s. A great SAC and mentor to many young Agents. He bought Ray Gagnon's cabin in the middle of the woods, Front Royal, VA. We emailed each other off and on over the years. I knew he was not in the best of health as I offered to pick him up for our VA CIDAA reunion in 2019 and he turned me down. He used to have an old sports car, MB that he loved. It needed too much work and he sold it. Broke his heart. I shall miss him, RIP Ole Friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald L. Keller (Don_keller) on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 11:44 am:  Edit

Gary passed on 01/12/2021. His memorial will be at Arlington on a date to be determined. Gary was a dear friend!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: