Hans Mayer Gidion - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Hans Mayer Gidion - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Coker (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 03:14 pm:  Edit

May we all keep the family of Han's Gidion in our thoughts and prayers.May God comfort you as only He can.

Jim Coker
Chaplain CIDAA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Monday, June 22, 2020 - 07:27 am:  Edit

So sorry to hear of Hans' passing. I first met Hans in Japan when I was assigned to the Camp Zama Field Office in the late '60s. I became interested in his QD expertise and would often handcarry my QD evidence to the lab, to get his advise and recommendation regarding exemplars, etc. He and his co-worker Gideon Esptein were both great mentors. Years later, I would see him at the AAFS annual meetings. In retirement, he occasionally would occasionally do work for prosecutors or attorneys. May he RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, June 15, 2020 - 05:17 am:  Edit

Hans Mayer Gidion went to be with the Lord on June 10, 2020, at the age of 91. Hans, a longtime resident of Augusta, GA, passed peacefully in Kerrville, TX with his family by his side. He was born on November 12, 1928 in Mannheim, Germany to Frank and Lenore (Mayer) Gidion. He and his family immigrated to the United States arriving in New York in 1936 and settled in Detroit, Michigan where he remained until graduating from high school. Hans moved to New York City and attended the Pratt Institute, pursuing a career in commercial art. In 1950, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served 31 distinguished years. The majority of his career was spent as a Special Agent and as a Forensic Questioned Document Examiner with the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command. This was the opportunity for Hans to travel throughout the world and testify in numerous criminal court cases. He was a legend in his field. Upon retirement from the military in 1982, he began his own private practice as a Forensic Document Examiner and continued working until 2012. Hans thoroughly enjoyed what he did. He never considered it work, as he would always say, "If you love what you're doing, it's not work." Hans was a lifetime member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners.
Hans was an avid swimmer who swam a mile or more everyday until the age of 88. Hans spent many hours creating rock gardens, inspired by those he saw in Japan. He and his wife were both animal lovers and throughout their years, rescued and cared for many of God's creatures that happened to make their way to their home.
Hans was preceded in death by his parents; his wife Setsuko, of 64 years; and, his sister Suzanne Gidion. He is survived and will be greatly missed by his sons, Ember Gidion (Sally) of Perris, CA; and, Eric Gidion (Linda) of Poulsbo, WA; and daughters, Erica Gidion (Dave) of Wilmington, NC; Eleonore Purcell (Ben) of Kerrville, TX; Elizabeth Parks (David) of Wilmington, NC; and, Eve Gidion of Atlanta, GA; brother, Peter Gidion (Arlene) of San Clemente, CA; and, eight grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and other family members and friends.
Sign the guestbook at AugustaChronicle.com/obits
The Augusta Chronicle - June 14, 2020

NOTE: Setsuko Gidion passed away on 4 April 2017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 05:16 pm:  Edit

One of the best! Rest in Peace, Hans. When I arrived in Augusta, I bought on the same street as Hans, Jim Walsh and Otis Hensley and we would carpool to the lab together. Sad to say, I am the only one left of the foursome. Prayers for his family members. Our kids played together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest D. Hamm (Ernie) on Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 02:39 pm:  Edit

Sorry to once again see a colleague on this listing. I knew Hans for many years, but not sure we served at USACIL-CONUS at same time. We did visit frequently at AAFS meetings. He was always proud of his dedication to his swimming, putting in many laps at the Fort Gordon gym on a regular basis. I believe he was a well known figure at the gym over many years. I would frequently receive a call from Hans on my birthday. He kept a list and wanted to call colleagues on their birthday. A nice touch. RIP,Hans, you will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Member) on Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 12:20 am:  Edit

Hans Mayer Gidion
   12 Nov 1928 - 10 Jun 2020

Hans Gidion passed away on 10 June 2020 at age 91. He went peacefully, surrounded by family.

More details will be forthcoming when plans are completed.

Hans was well known by many of us in CID, especially those who served with USACIL in Japan and Augusta during the 60s and 70s.

I first met Hans, his loving wife Setsuko, and their children in the 1970s when I was stationed at USACIL-Pacific where he worked as a Questioned Document Examiner.

Hans and Setsuko were blessed to have six children: Ember of Perris CA, Eric of Poulsbo WA, Erica of Wilmington NC, Suzy of Kerrville TX, Elizabeth of Wilmington NC, and Eve of Atlanta Ga.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: