Jack Leavitt - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Jack Leavitt - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Friday, February 21, 2020 - 05:30 pm:  Edit

Best Drug Team Chief I ever knew in my 40 years with CID. Great Guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D. Eicherly (Retdepcor) on Monday, December 23, 2019 - 09:09 am:  Edit

Two stories come to mind involving Jack and I at Ft Hood.
One day, I received a call from an ATF Agent telli8ng me a G.I. was selling a couple of stolen U.S. Army firearms. Further, he would be unavailable to make the buy and asked me to do so. I rushed home and changed into my "undercover" SP4 uniform. When I got back to the CID Office, Jack was one of the first to ask me if I was going to make up my mind. Finally it was pointed out to me that I had SP4 insignias on the collars of my fatigues but I had CW2 bars on my field jacket. Jack made the correction for me. There was no time for getting .015 funds so Jack took up a collection (office was almost empty because it was about 1230 hours). The seller wanted $300.00. Jack took about $40 and rolled it up to look like $300.00. I never got a chance to show him the money as my "backup" Jack, Jim Treftz and others I don't recall their names surrounded us and made the apprehension. I was just sure one of them was going to shoot both of us, so I was glad when the apprehension was over with. The suspect's car was a hatch-back model and he had a loaded .38 on the deck, between his hands and within easy reach. Another worry before the apprehension, was the NCOIC of the personnel records. I dealt with him almost daily. As the suspect was showing me the stolen weapons, the NCOIC came out onto his rear "porch" drinking his coffee. I was afraid he was going to make a remark about me being in uniform etc. Later, I found out from him that he couldn't see that far.
The second story, After a week or so in Stuttgart, Germany, I returned to Ft Hood for a trial. When I reported in to Stuttgart, LTC E.J. Fourat RIP told me I was going to take over the DST team until "his narc" arrived. I didn't know a thing about drugs except what I learned in the CID Basic Course. All but one LNCI from DST went on vacation and all the DST Agents went on leave. While back at Ft Hood, I asked Jack for a quick presentation of drugs 101. We went to Denny's for coffee and Jack told me one of the first things I needed to learn was how to identify drugs. Jack had his back facing the main entrance door, when an obvious G.I. in civies came in with a large, rolled up, baggie of MJ sticking out of his shirt pocket. I asked Jack "you mean like that?". Jack went and had a quick but serious talk with the G.I. Jack then continued his class for me. I had almost daily contact with Jack at Ft Hood. RIP my brother you deserve it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Friday, December 20, 2019 - 08:01 am:  Edit

Jack was my partner for a while when I was OJT at Ft Hood CID. Great guy and great agent. I learned a lot from him. He was quite a character and fun to hang out with. He was full of confidence and was able to share it with others. One of his frequent sayings that I enjoyed: "I might not be the best CID Agent in the world, but when that other guy dies, I will be!" Jack was not a fancy talker. He was plain spoken and smart. Pretending he wasn't was one of his best interrogation techniques. I enjoyed working with him and just being around him. Was shocked to hear of his passing. Miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 07:40 pm:  Edit

Jack was a great guy. When I transferred into the CID from MI at Ft Hood (1975), he was one of the first persons I got to know well. I last saw him at the CIDAA meeting in San Antonio. Going to miss him. Perhaps there's a gathering in heaven with all those great folks from Ft Hood District who've passed away - LTC Parks, George Cain, Vick Deavers, Dave Glenn, John Cameron, etc. The list goes on and on. My condolences to his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 06:14 pm:  Edit

Message from Pete Deming advising of the following: Linda Leavitt posted the following concerning her husband, Jack Leavitt's,
death.

Sunday December 15 6am I am grateful to be able to tell you that Jack's battle is OVER and he is
free from all pain and suffering and in his TRUE home with our Lord and
Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you ALL for the friendship you gave him, the
prayers you offered on his behalf and the continued interest in his life.
We do not do "viewings" or services or any of the "stuff" that some folks
may find comforting, so all we ask is that you take a moment, remember what
was positive about the places your path crossed his and if you want to "do
something," then open the Word of God, pray for a heart to receive and let
the Lord be King of your life. It would be the one thing that would make
Jack truly happy...he sure will like the reunion in heaven and will be
excited to welcome you when your battle is over.

If you wish to send a note to Linda, her address is:
165 Smith Drive
Killeen, TX 76542

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: