Bruce Edward Bartels - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Bruce Edward Bartels - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Joseph Morgan (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 03:27 pm:  Edit

I haven't been on here for quite awhile, and I am sad to hear of Bruce's passing. Ft. Polk was a wonderful time! I'll never forget a "fishing expedition" on Anacoco Lake, near Ft. Polk, in a "bass boat". Bruce and I worked on a "John Boat", installed foam to supposedly prevent it from sinking...put plywood platforms in it, and mounted swivel seats! Bruce, myself, and Nelson (Burt) Lancaster (RIP) headed out from the launch ramp. About 150 yards from shore, and the boat started sinking! Too much weight in the front...but Bruce had his back turned and did not see the bow plowing into and under the water, until the water reached him! There was a guy "catfishing" from the shore, laughing his butt off! In the meantime, several kids peddled up on bikes by the shore watching! The next thing I knew, the kids yelled out, "Hey, is that Larry Morgan out there?" Bruce looked back at us, then back to the cat fisherman, just shrugged his shoulders, and started swimming to shore, and "Burt" was explaining that he couldn't swim! Knowing we had foam in the boat, I told Burt to just hold on to it, except the boat did not cooperate and kept sinking! I told Burt to let go, as Bruce turned around to swim back and help me with Burt. When the kids started laughing also, I heard them say, "Hey, we are going to tell our "daddy"! At that point, I realized the kids were SA Johnny Brister's children! OH...THE HUMANITY!!! I grabbed Burt by the arms and started getting him back to shore until Bruce got there to help me. We were still over 100 yards from shore, when Burt started laughing! Dumbfounded, I asked Burt what he was laughing about, whereupon, he stated that he was standing on the bottom! OK...so all three of us walked back to the boat and pulled it up from the bottom about 4 feet below, soaking wet, and WALKED it back to the ramp! Obviously, the next morning, when we came into the morning meeting with LTC Dalhauser and Chief Roll, EVERYONE knew (thank's to Johnny's kids)! Oh...I could tell some stories, including those with another mutual great friend, Wolfgang Vinsky (RIP)! Those were probably some of the most enjoyable times I ever had in my career, with the best friends I ever had!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Bell (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 10:07 am:  Edit

Bruce was my partner at Ft Polk 1975-1978 time frame.He broke me in and taught me a lot of things about CID.Also Bruce had a great sense of humor. At the pistol range, he would wear his old Mississippi police uniform and I would wear my old Louisiana police uniform.Bruce went on to work PSD and I went to SHAPE to work PSD. I visited Bruce at his office in Germany many years ago and then I lost track but I never forgot about our days at Ft Polk with Chief Ernie Roll and LTC Dalhauser.Rest in Peace my dear friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Moore (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, January 21, 2019 - 07:00 am:  Edit

I presume by now interment has already occurred. If not, I would be most appreciative if someone would email me the date. I knew Bruce quite well from our days in Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, and Protective Services. After Bruce retired, he got my wife and I into Kenny Rogers concerts in Las Vegas, and in Tacoma,for free of course. One time he even arranged for my wife and I to sit at the special invitee table with none other than Mrs. Marianne Rogers. Quite the lovely lady, she was. Had quite the time working (and playing) with Bruce back in the day. He was quite a guy, and I'll cherish those memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 06:18 am:  Edit

Another friend and colleague. Spent time with Bruce on several PSD missions. We got together several times after he retired. RIP my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 08:34 am:  Edit

Bruce Edward Bartels

June 26, 1946 – September 23, 2017

Bruce Edward Bartels, 75, of Fort Clark Springs, Texas, entered into rest on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. He was born on June 26, 1946, in Davenport, Iowa. He was preceded in death by his parents, Orville H. and Betty Bartels; son, Bruce E. Bartels Jr.; and sister, Debra B. Melton.

Bruce served in the United States Army in Korea, Europe and Vietnam, totaling more than 20 years of service. He retired as a Chief Warrant Officer / Special Agent in the US Army’s Criminal Investigation Command, where he served as a bodyguard for secretaries of defense, Harold Brown and Casper Weinberger.

Upon retirement he served as a bodyguard for Kenny Rogers, touring the country. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and ranching. He was a Mason, Shriner, life member of NRA, Ducks Unlimited sponsor and member of Safari Club International. Left to cherish his memory is his brother, Ronald J. Bartels; numerous nieces and nephews and friends at Fort Clark.

Interment at a future date at Arlington National Cemetery.

Sunset Memorial Oaks Funeral Home & Cemetery, 2020 Bedell Ave., Del Rio, Texas Funeral is in charge of arrangements (830)778-2020.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store. Published in Houma Today from Sep. 30 to Oct. 2, 2017

Published in Houma Today from Sep. 30 to Oct. 2, 2017

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: