Almondo Vallone - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Almondo Vallone - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 04:13 pm:  Edit

Sorry to hear of Al's passing. He replaced me at the Ansbach 13th CID office in September 1968. Saw him again many years later at one of the annual CIDAA gatherings. A good man. Peace be with him, and with his family.
....... Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard D. Shook (Richshook) on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:38 pm:  Edit

Prayers to the family. I was at Fort Dix 1973-1977, while Al was at Ft Monmouth. Great guy to work with. R.I.P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Yarnall (Yarnallpi) on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 09:55 am:  Edit

Al was my first SAC at Ft Monmouth RA ('74 - '76). Taught me a lot on and off the hand ball court. RIP, Chief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 04:39 pm:  Edit

Almondo "Armand" Arthur Vallone

Almondo A Vallone (nee Armand Avallone), 88, U S Army (Ret) received his final military post assignment on 12 August 2018. We are comforted that this big-hearted jokester departed with no pain and regrets too few to mention. He died as he lived -- embracing his Italian heritage and celebrating life with family and friends. Val was born 8 October 1929 in the small mill town of Carthage, New York, the baby of a tight-knit, immigrant family. Called "swivel-hips" by one sports reporter for his evasive running style, he was a high school football star and starting guard on the basketball team. After high school, he enlisted in the Army, where he learned that his legal name was not Armand Avallone. Rather than take the time to fix the administrative error and risk missing enlisting with his buddies, he figured, “What the hell! I don’t mind having a different name for a couple of years.” His anticipated two-year enlistment turned into a 26 year career with service all over the globe including Korea, occupied Germany, Japan, and Vietnam during the Tet Offensive. He was awarded numerous medals, including the Bronze Star and Meritorious Service Medal, before retiring as a Chief Warrant Officer in 1976. His next career was as the first Director of Safety and Security at St Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, and he went back to school, earning a degree in criminology at USF. Upon retirement, he explored the world, retracing his parent's journey from Italy and discovering a village full of relatives. Our beloved Poppa Val is predeceased by his parents, Antonio and Maria Leanna Avallone; and siblings, James, Frank, Alfred Avallone, and Mary Miga. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn; children, Thomas (Debra), Michelle Salvato (Gary), Joseph (Debra); and bonus kids, Peggy Tyre (Michael), Tracey Shadday (Larry), David Munton, Penny Carnathan (Ben); 17 admiring grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

A service took place at First United Methodist Church of Lutz on Thursday 18 August 2018 at 10: AM In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: