Michael A. Rees - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Michael A. Rees - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Coker (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:29 pm:  Edit

To Mike's family, may God comfort you in the days ahead.We all care about you and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim Coker
Chaplain C.I.D.A.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 01:28 pm:  Edit

Mike Rees

Michael Anthony Rees, known to friends as “Mike”, passed away peacefully on 13 August 2018 at the age of 70 years. Mike was born 4 February 1948 in Rochester, New York to Frank and Bette Rees. Shortly after, the family moved to Texas and lived in Kerrville, Corpus Christi and Houston before settling in Oklahoma City where Mike graduated from Bishop McGuiness High School. In 1972, he earned his Associate in Business from St Gregory’s College and in 1986, his Bachelor of Science from the University of the State of New York. Mike joined the U S Army in 1969 and was stationed in Oklahoma, Texas, Washington DC, Alaska, and South Korea. He was a Military Policeman, Sentry Dog Handler and CID agent and served in the Vietnam and Gulf Wars. After retiring in 1991 as an Army First Sergeant, Mike settled in Houston with his children. In the 18 years following, he worked as a loss prevention manager for Tandy Corp and an investigator and trainer for Wyeth Pharmaceuticals.

Mike loved and served his community and church, St John of the Cross in New Caney, Texas. He devoted his time and energy to the food pantry and the Knights of Columbus, and served as a Sacristan, Eucharistic Minister to the sick and homebound, and as an Acolyte. For many years, Mike also served as the CID Agents Association treasurer.

Mike is survived by his children, daughter Chisun Rees Messick and son Michael Rees Jr; uncle John Rees; brother Frank Rees Jr; sister Mary Ellen Nutter; brother-in-law Terry Nutter; niece Michelle Clark; nephews, Christopher Rees and Lee Nutter; girlfriend Debbie Vestal; former wife Jeong Mi Rees; son-in-law Adam Messick; and granddaughter-to-be Leila Mar Messick. Michael was preceeded in death by his sister Elizabeth Rees (1945); father Frank Rees (2007); mother Bette Rees (2008); aunt Helen McLaughlin (2016); and sister-in-law Joanie Rees (2017).

A Celebration of Life will be held Friday, 17 August 2018, at 1:PM at St John of the Cross Catholic Church in New Caney, Texas, with Pastor Father Hai officiating. A rosary will be held prior to the service at 12:30PM. In lieu of gifts, the family has requested donations be made in memory of Mike to the Kidney Cancer Association or any Veterans Service Organization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cagle (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 08:32 pm:  Edit

Mike was my OJT when I arrived for CID duty at Ft Bliss TX. Great teacher and very patient with me during my initial duty as a new CID agent. We continued to serve together in Korea and met several times after our retirement. My heart filled prayers and condolences to his family and children during this difficult time. Rest in Peace my friend, so well deserved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E. Proof (Rproof) on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 02:31 pm:  Edit

My condolences to Mike"s family and may he rest in peace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Cox (Warrencid) on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 12:49 pm:  Edit

Service for Mike Rees is Friday, August 17, 2018, at 1:00pm at St John of the Cross Catholic Church, 20000 Texas 494 Loop, New Caney, TX 77357, with Father Hai Dang.

There will be a reception to follow immediately and prior to the service (at 12:30pm) a Rosary will be held.

In lieu of gifts, please consider a donation in memory of Mike to the Kidney Cancer Association or any Veterans Service Organization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Cox (Warrencid) on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 12:29 pm:  Edit

Sad to report that Mike's son, Michael Rees, just posted this on Facebook. Additional Details will be forthcoming as I learn them.

"The greatest man I have ever known passed away peacefully this morning. He was best Dad anyone could ever ask for I'm I consider myself the luckiest person in the world that he was mine and I was raised by him. I asked that my friends pray for my family and I as we get through this difficult time."

I believe that all of us who knew or worked with Mike can only echo his son's words.

Mike had been a member of the CIDAA since 1994 and most recently served as our Treasurer.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: