Art Gehrig -RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Art Gehrig -RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Cox (Warrencid) on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:53 pm:  Edit

Arthur William Gehrig, Jr.
November 06, 1927 - March 15, 2018

Arthur William Gehrig, Jr, age 90, of Manchester, Ohio died on March 15, 2018. Arthur was born on November 26, 1927 in Long Island, New York, the son of Gertrude and Arthur William.

In 1938 Artís family moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he attended Our Lady of Lordís grammar school and LaSalle High School.

After graduating from LaSalle High School in 1945, Art joined the US Marines. During his three-year tenure, he fought in World War II and was stationed in Paris Island, Guam, Okinawa, China and San Diego. Following his discharge from the US Marines, Art joined the US Army. This service took him to many places, including fighting in the Korean War and Vietnam. When he returned from Korea, he trained as a Military Police Investigator and served in both Philadelphia and Fort Mead, Maryland before in 1959, he was sent to Munich, Germany as a Criminal Investigator. Following his time in Ger-many, Art spent time with the CID at Fort Benning, Georgia and Fort Campbell, Kentucky. In July 1968, he retired after 22 years faithful service to his county.

Artís post-military retirement employment included jobs with Super-X Drugs, the Unit-ed Parcel Service, Fisher Foods, Cook United, and Biggs. He also moved to Cincinnati, Ohio where he met and married Sinda.

Arthur was the past master of the Masonic Lodge in Mason, Ohio. He enjoyed wood-working, spending time with his family members and friends, working at solving cold-cases with the local police departments, and travelling with Sinda to Florida for the winter months.

Art leaves behind his loving wife of 45 years, Sinda; one daughter, Judy (Juda); one son, Marty (Julie); two granddaughters, Jennifer (Jeremy) and Andrea (Kyle); one grandson, Michael; and many nieces, nephews, friends and family. Art will be greatly missed.

A celebration of life was held for Arthur at 12:00 pm on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at Wilson Home for Funerals in Manchester, Ohio. Visitation was held from 11:00 am until the time of the service.

Obituary Courtesy of
Wilson Home for Funerals, Inc
35 W Second St
Manchester, Ohio 45144

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 08:50 am:  Edit

While we mourn for Art passing and keep Sinda in our thoughts and prayers, I am really sorry about the passing of James (Jim). I'm sure he was a wonderful man, as is his father. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers as well. All the best to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 02:37 pm:  Edit

Art was probably my longest CID friend, having met in Korea during 1964, followed by our being assigned together at Ft Campbell, KY. In fact when I arrived with my son James, Art and his wife, cared for my son for awhile. Ironically, Jim died of a heart attack, at age 57, at his home in Hollywood, FL, on April 4, 2018. That is why I am so late in posting here. Prayers for Sinda as she mourns the loss of Art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Coker (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 06:16 pm:  Edit

"Jesus said that we all should do to others as you would have them do to you" Luke 6:31 That is how Art treated others. May we all continue to keep Sinda in our thoughts and prayers in the days ahead .May God comfort Sinda as only He can.

Jim Coker
Chaplain C.I.D.A.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Cox (Warrencid) on Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 05:23 pm:  Edit

***UPDATE***

I still do not have an obituary for Art, but Bill Moore has advised that Art's funeral will be held at 1100, April 28, 2018, at Wilson Funeral Home, 35 W Second St (PO Box 143), Manchester, OH 45144. Tel: 937-549-3363.

I also understand that a special-rate block of rooms may be made available for overnight stays at the Hampton Inn, 503 Market Square Drive, Maysville, KY, which is close to the funeral home.

As additional information becomes available, I will provide it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 09:28 pm:  Edit

Art was a friend to all. He had a great sense of humor and was pleasure to be around. He was one those comrades you expected to see at all our gatherings. He will surely be missed. Let's keep Sinda in our prayers as well, as she recovers from her own injury, as well the loss of Art.

God bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 01:38 pm:  Edit

We are so very saddened to hear of Art's passing. I first met Art in 1964, when we were at the 19th CID in Uijongbu. He was a tenacious investigator, and it was great to meet up with hime again, and with Sinda, at the many CIDAA reunions we attended. A true gentleman, with a fun personality. May he be at peace, and peace be with his family.
......Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julius A. Brain (Jabrain) on Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 12:54 pm:  Edit

Art certainly was a true gentleman and a great person to be around. The CID as a whole and especially the Florida Group will greatly miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Member) on Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 08:50 am:  Edit

Received from Warren Cox:

Sad to report that Art passed away late on March 15, 2018. He and his wife Sinda spent their summers at home in Ohio and winters in Florida. At the time of death, Art, who was 90 years old, was in hospice care following a recent hospitalization due to a fall at home in Florida. Our Ways & Means Chair / Sight Selection Chair, Bill Moore, was with him at the time; Sinda could not be there because she was convalescing due to a recent fall at home that fractured her hip

I am awaiting for an obituary to post, but I've been told that the plans are to have him cremated and then returned to Ohio for any memorial service / funeral.

Art and Sinda were frequent attendees at the CIDAA annual reunions / meetings. Art retired from CID in July 1968, then retired from his second career in July 1990. He joined the CIDAA in 1991 and had served on the Board of Directors since 2012. He always had a glint in his eye, a spring in his step and a smile for all of those he came in contact with.

Here's what I have on Art:

ARTHUR W GEHRIG, JR.
5949 US 52
MANCHESTER. OH 45144-0754
SPOUSE: SINDA
STATUS /. OCC: RETIRED; CIDAA DIRECTOR '12-'18
(Phones, email and other details are in your Gold Book.)

I think I can speak for all of those that knew him, this is one kind, gentle soul that will be missed. R.I.P.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: