Glenn Schultz - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Glenn Schultz - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:20 am:  Edit

Glenn Michael "Mike" Schultz Date of Birth: August 30, 1948 Date of Death: January 18, 2017 Country of Birth: United States Place of Birth: Helena, Montana Place of Death: Alexandria, Virginia Memberships: Vietnam Veteran, Christian Scientist, U.S. Army CID, International Association of Chiefs of Police, USA Warrant Officer Association Biography:

Glenn M. (Mike) Schultz was born on August 30, 1948 in Helena, Montana, the only child of Glenn and Esther Schultz. His father was Chief of the Montana Highway Patrol and his mother was a homemaker and memorable chef. After living in Montana, Indiana and New Jersey, Glenn and his family moved to East Lansing, Michigan where Glenn attended Junior High and High School while his father taught in the Criminal Justice Department of Michigan State University (MSU) and his mother worked at the University library. In East Lansing, Glenn formed several friendships that would last his lifetime and developed an abiding interest in rifle shooting and accuracy. After two years attending MSU, Glenn enlisted in the Army in 1969, serving in Vietnam (MACV) before returning to MSU and earning a bachelorís degree in Criminal Justice.

After graduation in 1972, Glenn rejoined the Army as a Criminal Investigation Command (CID) Special Agent, stationed at Ft. Carson, Colorado. While in Colorado, Glenn fell in love with Marilyn Sandborn, who had moved to the area from Southern California, and they were married in 1974. The couple moved to Germany in 1976, where their son, Matthew, was born in 1977 (as Glenn used to say, a soldier returns from Germany with at least one of three things: a Fraulein, a baby or a cuckoo clock). In 1979, Glenn transferred to the Army Reserve, moved back to Colorado and, being in many ways an engineer at heart, opened a metal machining business, Schultz Metalsmithing.

In 1985, Glenn returned to Army active duty and the family moved to Ft. Lewis, Washington. Glenn was a great friend and father with a sharp wit and readiness to listen; qualities which also made him a successful investigator and leader. After increasingly demanding assignments in South Korea and the U.S., Glenn became the commander of the CID district encompassing southern Germany and Italy. The position was a unique achievement, since Warrant Officers very rarely commanded Army units. At this time, Glenn also became one of the first officers to be promoted to the recently created rank of Chief Warrant Officer 5 (CW5). The family then moved to northern Virginia, where he and Marilyn decided to remain after Glennís retirement from the Army in 2002. Throughout his career, Glenn was proud to be a part of Army CID, and cared deeply about the mission and his fellow soldiers.

Throughout his Army career, Glenn appreciated the opportunity to get to know other cultures, whether in Vietnam, Germany, Korea or Italy. He made the most of his time in foreign countries, trying to understand their perspectives and encouraged his son to do the same. Later, Glenn also enjoyed visiting his sonís family in Russia. Regardless of his location, accurate rifle shooting and metalsmithing were never far from Glennís thoughts. He moved a full metalsmithing shop and rifle collection to every new home the family had, and was most happy making something in the shop or testing a rifle modification at the range.

Glenn fought Parkinsonís disease for many years before he died. Despite the increasing physical limitations and pain that kept him from doing much of what he loved best, he always maintained his sense of humor, optimism and empathy.

Glenn was married to Marilyn for forty-two years and was very devoted to her. They were always able to make a loving home anywhere they lived; from near the Korean DMZ to Germany, and many places in between. Glenn died on January 18, 2017 and was followed shortly thereafter by Marilyn, on April 30, 2017. Glenn and Marilyn will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery on November 22, 2017.

Glenn was a beloved, husband, father and grandfather and is survived by his son Matthew, daughter-in-law Elena, and grandsons Viktor and Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hondo Sinclair (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 12:07 pm:  Edit

Seems I've been away from this site longer than I thought. Mr Schultz was my first Operations Officer when I was at the Würzburg office. He was an absolute great guy and I did try to emulate him. He was old school and carried the Special Agent status like no other. I found him a superb mentor and leader and was awe struck by his character. Steve Blue, my Team Chief at the time told me Mr Schultz carried the FBI style about him. He did! I have thought of him often over the years and I will surely miss him. RIP Chief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By VDR McClain (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:28 pm:  Edit

So very sorry to hear about the passing of CW5 Schultz. He was my friend and mentor. My condolences to his family. RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark O'Malley (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:03 pm:  Edit

RIP Glenn. A great leader and mentor. Gone much too soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:18 pm:  Edit

I am so sorry to learn of Glenn's passing. He was one of CID's best of the best. May God bless and be with him, his loving family and all of those who were touched by his life. May you now rest in heavenly peace, Sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:03 pm:  Edit

David Enos Posted on Facebook -
LOSS OF RETIRED CID AGENT: CW5 GLENN SCHULTZ
This is for the CID family at large, past and present. I received this today from Ms. Jennifer Gray, SGS, HQ USACIDC - please pass it on to anyone you know that knew Glenn.
- Glenn passed last Wednesday, 18 January; he was 68 years old. His son, Matthew wanted to make sure that Glenn's CID family was notified. At this time there is no additional information regarding a memorial service or burial. They will keep us informed as they learn more.
- If you want an address to contact Marilyn, please let me know. I won't put it on the open net.

Please say a prayer for Glenn's family.
- Glenn was someone to be emulated. He was a great mentor, CID Agent and supervisor. He was always meticulous at whatever he did. His love of his family and CID always stood out. And guns. :-) You will be missed, CHIEF! Rest in Peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:41 am:  Edit

CW5 (Ret) Glenn M Schultz passed away on 18 January 2017. Additional information will be entered here if and when it becomes available.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: