Eugene R Cromartie - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Eugene R Cromartie - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Busby (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:11 am:  Edit

MG Cromartie RIP after a long and happy life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:13 pm:  Edit

Services for MG Cromartie have been "locked in" at Arlington National Cemetery for 28 December 2017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David G.Ownby (Derdegen) on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 02:29 pm:  Edit

I don't check the forum very often, and was caught off guard when I read of his passing in the The Badge. This CID commander impressed me the most. i will never the sincerity of his "stop and smell the roses" tapes that he put out to the agents.I wonder if any of those tapes are around, and if today's agents have seen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse E. Jess Day (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 01:19 pm:  Edit

Really saddened to learn of MG Cromartie's passing. I worked with and for him several times during my career and he was one of my favorite officers. A special man. Mrs. Cromartie, Ginger and I send our deepest condolences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Powers (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:15 am:  Edit

This is very sad news for sure. I have such great memories serving under his leadership. LTC Cromartie was commander for the 503d MP BN and I met him when I applied for CID. Great memories of his visit to West Point and the Dining In in Heidelberg. I last saw him in Orlando at the IACP annual convention.We had a short chat and relived some history of our relationship. I will miss this man. Easy to see how he became a MG. Let's face it, we all loved this man as a person and as a CG of CID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E. Proof (Rproof) on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 05:40 pm:  Edit

My deepest sympathy to Joyce and the entire family. I was stationed at Ft Meade on my last assignment prior to retirement and enjoyed a excellent working relationship with MG Cromartie while at First Region Hqs.
Joyce I know my late wife Darlene(died in Oct 2015) would have definitely wanted me to pass on her deepest sympathy to you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 04:40 am:  Edit

Eugene Cromartie
Oct. 3, 1936 to Feb. 13, 2017

Major General Eugene R. Cromartie was born in Wabasso, Florida on October 3, 1936. His parents were Ulysses and Hanna Cromartie; he was the seventh of nine children. Eugene attended and graduated from Florida A&M University in Tallahassee Florida in 1957. While attending the university he was the Class president as well as the ROTC battalion commander and became a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. Also while attending FAMU he met and married the love of his life/college sweetheart, Joyce B. Mims. They have four sons whom all served the community in various careers. For all that have known him he has gone by his nick name Gene Cromartie.

Gene’s distinguished career in the US Army lasted 33 ˝ years. He has held a number of different positions/assignments during his tenure with the military: Student of Infantry at Fort Benning, Georgia; Commander of the 59th Military Police Company in Bremerhaven, Germany; Executive Officer, later Commander for the Headquarters Detachment, 95th Military Police Battalion in Vietnam; Instructor, United states Army Military Police School at Fort Gordon, Georgia; Chief, Electives Branch, Office, Director of Graduate Studies and Research, United States Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas; Commander of the 503rd Military Police Battalion at Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Airborne Paratrooper and Provost Marshal of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Commander, First Region, United States Army Criminal Investigation Command; Deputy Provost Marshal, later Provost Marshal of the United States Army Europe and Seventh Army in Mannheim, Germany; Community Commander in Mannheim Germany; Commanding General United States Army Criminal Investigation Command at Falls Church, Virginia.

After retiring from the Military Gene became the Deputy Executive Director/Chief of Staff of the International Association of Chiefs of Police. He remained in this position for sixteen years, before retiring again. Throughout his various assignments and career paths, he has touched the lives of many through mentoring and friendship. His impact on society will never be matched, nor will it ever be forgotten.

The family will be having two viewings to accommodate guests on Saturday March 11, 2017 at Pope Funeral Homes, Forestville Chapel; 5538 Marlboro Pike , Forestville MD 20747: The first viewing will be held from 9:00 am to 11:00 am and the second viewing will be held from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:03 am:  Edit

From Joyce Cromartie: I wanted to thank everyone for your condolences and prayers that has been sent out to me and the Cromartie family during this time. The calls, flowers, cards, emails and letters are most appreciated and the many kind words provide much comfort from you, our extended family.

I wanted to pass onto you what services have been set up at this time.

Two viewings are set up for Saturday, 11 Mar 17 at the “Pope Funeral Home” facility. Pope funeral Home is located at 5538 Marlboro Pike, Forestville, MD 20747. The funeral home’s phone is 301.568.4100. The first viewing will be held from 0900 to 1100 hours and the second from 1600 to 1800 hours.

We are in the next phase for setting up Gene’s internment in Arlington Cemetery with full Military Honors. We are hoping to have a date soon.

Instead of sending flowers, a donation to a deserving organization would be most appreciated. We will provide the names of the two organizations soon. I know Gene would wish for this to happen.

Again, thank you to all of our family, extended family and friends for your kind words and support,

Joyce Cromartie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil McGuire (Phil) on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:00 am:  Edit

One of the best for sure. Great Commander and a good man. There is a special angel waiting for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Peter_comras) on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:00 pm:  Edit

R.I.P. Gen--you were one of the great ones of CID.
Peter "B"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:58 am:  Edit

Saddened to hear of the passing of MG Cromartie. When I was in WO Career Management, he was the region commander at Ft. Meade and invited me to address the Warrants at a region meeting. He was very proud of his personnel and encouraged their career progression. A true leader.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles L. Ellis Jr (Chuck) on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:25 am:  Edit

A great Commander and real fine person. Sadden to know he is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 07:16 am:  Edit

MG Cromartie was among the best. I was proud of him as USACIDC CG. A bit shocked that he is gone. Wish he wasn't. Somehow, it seemed to me that the world was better with him in it. He was among my favorite commanders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 06:52 am:  Edit

My last assignment at HQ USACIDC was the Federal Liaison Officer (FLO) for MG Cromartie (and later MG Berry) before I retired in 1991. We traveled overseas, visiting CID offices in Europe and the Far East. He was highly respected and well liked by all Special Agents. Sometimes his wife Joyce would accompany him. What a gracious women! On one CONUS trip, we departed Davidson Army Airfield, Fort Belvoir with his son as the pilot of our fixed wing aircraft (an Army first). My sincere sympathies to the entire family. RIP boss. I talked to Jan Beese, his secretary for many years. Funeral arrangements are still pending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:45 am:  Edit

MG Cromartie passed away on 13 February 2017. No further information at this time. The family does request for friends to allow them a bit of privacy before making contact. Thank you.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: