James D. (Jim) Stickler - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): James D. (Jim) Stickler - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:37 am:  Edit

Jim Stickler's memorial observance (a "drop-in" memorial afternoon at the funeral parlor) was Saturday (19 May) at Indianapolis. Of the CID family, Jack and Chong Sellinger and Rosalie and I were there. Principal attendees were Jim's daughter Rebecca, her husband Bryan Syverson, their daughter Valerie and their son Joe, and Jim's son Joe. It was good to meet and compare stories with Jim's former co-workers and bosses from civilian jobs, and with his bicycling buddies. Jim was a good and noble person, and I shall miss him, probably every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard W. Slisz (Dick_slisz) on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:07 pm:  Edit

I'm with Ray. I can't add to the superlatives about Big Jim. I served with him at Ft. Knox, and then in Okinawa, where he was my next door neighbor. Heaven is certainly a more humorous place with the presence of Jim. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Weese (Lee_weese) on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 04:53 pm:  Edit

Go with God, Big Jim, go with God.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 08:07 pm:  Edit

Don't know what I can add to what my brothers have already said about Big Jim, except that in this day and age of "information inundation and saturation" it takes a real "bomb" to freeze me at this computer screen and put tears in my eyes. The news of Jim's sudden demise has done that to yours truly (and I KNOW that I am not alone in that regard).

Those of us who knew Jim are the better for having known him.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe;...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee".

--John Donne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Blake (Billblake) on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 05:33 pm:  Edit

As many others have said, Jim Stickler was a fabulous individual. We attended the CID Course together and as the Class Leader under the watchful eye of Tom McGreevey, I didn't have to worry about Jim not doing what was expected. We have lost a truly great person and an outstanding investigator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jearl E. Ballow (Je_buck_ballow) on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 01:46 pm:  Edit

Unless you knew him personally, you can't imagine what a great loss this is. Jim and I went to CID School together and served together on Okinawa and in Korea. Soon after I arrived on Okinawa I volunteered to serve with Jim while he was Duty Agent. The hinks must have been waiting for us and that night we caught ####. No rest for the wicked. The following morning Jim said, jokingly, "Ballow, you jinx, you will never work with me as Duty Agent ever again. Is that clear". God what I wouldn't give to hear him say that once again. The CID has lost one of its great icons. God rest, Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:40 pm:  Edit

Jim "The Stick" Stickler and I served together at Command. He was a great investigator, guy and friend. Many a laugh we at Command due to Jim's great sense of humor. Further, his lovely bride made what we called "pizza ties," which, when worn by the agents, drove Uncle Henry Tufts crazy. I belive that Jim and I retired at the same time (March, 1977)(on the same GO for the LOM).

Jim will be missed--Rest In Peace Jim--you earned it. It was a distinct honor and privilege to have known Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary E. George (Gegeorge) on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:06 am:  Edit

I am saddened to learn of Jim's passing. I worked with Jim in the late 60's at Ft. Knox, KY and to put it simply he was a good man. At that time Jim was shall we say rather large. The last time I saw him was during the late 70's when he barged into my office unannounced at Washington District, plopped down in an easy chair and just sat there looking at me without saying a word while chewing gum about 100 miles an hour. He was tall and skinny and I asked him if I could help him with something. I didn't recognize him until he spoke at which point I asked him if he had been sick. He told me about how he had developed an interest in running and biking and how had taken control of his health. He was fun to be around; had a good sense of humor and was a terrific investigator. The world is a sadder place because of his passing. My condelences to his family and friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Arnold Sellinger (Redjas) on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:51 am:  Edit

I am absolutely stunned to hear of the death of Jim Stickler. I met Jim and his wife many years ago and as we were both in the Indianapolis area saw them every once in awhile. Jim was always the same person and a good friend. We would always have a few stories about the CID to swap whenever we met. Jim and I were both bike riders and I saw him many times on roads all over the Indianapolis area. Jim was in great shape and this is unbelievable. Jim will be greatly missed by all who knew him. My condolences to his daughter Rebecca and his son Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:35 pm:  Edit

Jim Stickler, my closest friend (other than my spouse), died Monday, 7 May 2007. In a nutshell, he was visiting the family of his daughter Rebecca at Fresno, California. Jim was bike riding with his grandson, when he crashed on his bike. He sustained some injuries (broken bones), but nothing deemed life-threatening. He was to have been kept overnight in the hospital, mainly for pain control. He simply died. Jim's daughter Rebecca is a top surgeon, with privileges at that hospital, and so was privy to the post-mortem work-up. She tells me that the cause is simply unexplained, and that Jim's death is the fault of no one. I believe that. I will miss him greatly. Jim was cremated today, and Rebecca will bring his ashes to Indianapolis on 19 May. There will be a memorial reception at Feeney & Hornak, 71st and Keystone, Indianapolis, 2-6 p.m., 19 May. Jim's son Joe can be contacted at bigjoestick@hotmail.com.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: