Edwin King - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Edwin King - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Yarnall (Yarnallpi) on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:39 am:  Edit

I did not know Vic while on active duty but did work him as private investigators afterwards just prior to his death. He told me a lot of stories, including some about him being a "professional wrestler" at the time he was drafted. All inductees stayed clear of him as he had dyed blond hair and the rest of his body was clean shaven..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:47 pm:  Edit

This is from CID Command: CSM King was the first CID Command SGM (May 1975-Dec 1977). SGM Deavers did not serve as the CID Command SGM. I believe the highest position SGM Deavers held was at the Group level.

NOTE from Mickey: Vic was in my CID class#5, graduating in February 1968. We later worked together at what was Det D, 3d MP Group, Ft Gordon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip W. Lindley (Phil_lindley) on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 12:06 pm:  Edit

I found this thread very interesting. I was at Ft Hood Field Office from Sep 74-Mar 76. My recollection was that Vic Deavers was a SFC at the time and there was no option but to leave CID when/if promoted to E-8? In order to create more career progression USACIDC exchanged some Warrant Officer authorizations for enlisted slots and opened up E-8 and 9 billets for 95Ds. Fast forward to the Spring of 1976 when I PCSed to Korea. While flying on an Army helicopter to an "off-Island" West of the Korean mainland in pursuit of opium poppies I lost my B&Cs. I paid 50,000 Won (about $104) out of my own pocket to hire a bunch of farmers to spend a week clearing terrain. They found them! 7th Region declined to reimburse me. Later CSM King came thru on a visit and I told him the story. He got me reimbursement from .0015 funds as the loss of the sensitive property was so great as to justify the reward to recover the missing badge/credentials. Both he and Vic were class acts. RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:21 am:  Edit

For the benefit of everyone posting in this thread, Mr. Jeffrey Castro, Public Information Officer, USACIDC, posted an entry stating that CSM KING was the first CID Command Sergeant Major, and that he was seeking information from anyone who might have known him. For sake of argument one would reasonably assume that Mr. Castro obviously had knowledge and official records that CSM King was the "First" USACIDC
Command Sergeant Major. It is also evident that Mr. Castro is publishing an article in the CID Command Newsletter "The SHIELD" and needs input from those who might have known and worked with CSM KING. Perhaps the following obituary might add some credence to his appointment as the first USACID CSM in 1975.

CSM (RET) Edwin Moseley King
December 10, 1923 - May 1, 2014

Edwin M. King, 90, passed away peacefully on May 1, 2014 at Hospice Home of Wake County. He was a longtime resident at Abbotswood Senior Community in Raleigh.

Eddie was born on December 10, 1923 in Kinston, NC to the late Martin N. and Ethel Coffey King.

He is survived by his two daughters, Dorwin K. Lanham and Sonia L. Bradshaw and husband, Lee, all of Raleigh; grandson, Parke Strong and wife, Kelly, and their children, Sawyer, Sullivan, and Schaffer; grandson, Ryan Strong and his children, Marlee, Bentley, Turner, and Piper.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Dorothy H. King in 2007.

Eddie had a military career that spanned 3 wars and 30 years, from 1943-1977. In 1975, he was appointed as the first Command Sergeant Major of the US Army Criminal Investigation Division. His military decorations include the Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, 2 Purple Hearts, and the Army Commendation Medal. He served 4 overseas tours in the Pacific, Europe, and Vietnam.

He is remembered by his family and friends as always loving, loyal, kind, generous, and humorous.

The family will receive friends from 6-8pm on Monday, May 5, 2014 at Brown-Wynne Funeral Home, 200 SE Maynard Road, Cary, NC 27511.

A funeral service will be held at 1:00 pm on Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at Greenwood Forest Baptist Church, 110 SE Maynard Road, Cary, NC 27511. Burial will follow at Montlawn Memorial Park, 2911 S. Wilmington Street, Raleigh, NC 27603.

Memorial contributions in his memory may be made to Hospice of Wake County/Transitions LifeCare, 250 Hospice Circle, Raleigh, NC 27607.

www.brownwynnecary.com

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/obituary.aspx?n=edwin-moseley-king&pid=170901918&fhid= 10726#storylink=cpy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:38 pm:  Edit

Mickey Head suggested that Vic Deavers was the first USACIDC CSM. That isn't the way I recall it. As I recall, CSM King came up through Army Intelligence, not through the MP's. Vic Deavers was an old friend of mine (and everybody's). He attended one of my classes shortly before I retired. As I recall, Vic was still a master sergeant when I retired, and became a sergeant major soon thereafter. (He wrote me a nice note after I retired.) Again the caveat that I might be recalling something incorrectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:25 am:  Edit

CSM Herman "Vic" Deavers was the first CSM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald L. Keller (Don_keller) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:04 am:  Edit

I think Mr. Nichols may be correct. However, I too suffer from the same memory recall affliction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:11 pm:  Edit

CSM King attended in 1977 one of the classes I managed and taught at USAMPS. He and General Timmerberg also visited the courses with which I was involved, as well as others. I don't think he was the first CSM of USACIDC, as USACIDC came into existence in 1972. (It is possible, of course, that I am remembering everything wrong. It was a long time ago. I retired in 1978.) As I recall, CSM King was a gentleman through and through, careful in speech, dress and bearing. As I remember (again if I am recalling correctly), he was shocked one day to discover that his impeccable tall dress socks were, in fact, dark blue instead of black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas G Wilson (Tom) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:39 pm:  Edit

The following information was provided by Jeffery Castro, PAO, USACIDC.

Im the editor of the Shield and heard that the first CSM of CID, Edwin King has died. Id like to put an article about him in the upcoming issue of the Shield and was hoping that some of the CIDAA members would be able to send me any remembrances of CSM King that they have just one or two lines about who he was, what kind of Soldier he was, what kind of leader he was, etc. Photos would be amazing to get. Anyone who would like to contribute a few quotes about the CSM can just email them to me.

Id appreciate any input, but I need the information by May 16 to make the deadline. Thank you.

Jeffrey Castro

jeffrey.castro.civ@mail.mil

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: