Andrew J Smith - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Andrew J Smith - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerold J. Unruh (Jerry_unruh) on Friday, June 06, 2014 - 06:33 pm:  Edit

I first met Andy in Ansbach West Germany in 1971. He was the SAC of the CID office and I was a MP. We have been friends since, but I have not been in touch with him for several years now. I am deeply saddened to learn of his passing and Doris and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brauner (Bob) on Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 10:31 pm:  Edit

He was a great friend. We spent much time together in the LOGCISP an EC program. He was a great linguist and loved the English language. I will miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:08 pm:  Edit

Andy was the first person to greet me when I arrived at Cam Ranh Bay on a Sunday evening. He gave me a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. He and I overlapped several months at Cam Ranh. He was a good colleague.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:11 pm:  Edit

The memorial service will be held on Wednesday, 28 May at 11: AM followed by a light lunch. The service will be at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, 1461 Sparta Hwy, Crossville, TN 38572-5751. The family requests that in lieu of flowers please make donations to The Wounded Warriors Project; to St Jude's Children's Hospital or to your personal charities. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:59 am:  Edit

Andy Smith was born on February 21, 1936 in Troy, New York to Andrew J. and Valborg (Mathiason) Smith. Andy went home to be with The Lord May 5, 2014. Andy was of full blooded Danish decent. He was a member of Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Crossville, TN. Andy graduated from Lansingburgh High School In 1953 and attended the Morrisville State College, NY. He received a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He worked for Chrysler Motor Co., Detroit, MI for a couple years and then in March 1958 he joined the U.S. Army as a Military Policeman. He was a 20 year veteran. He became a member of the Military Intelligence Group; and for the last 16 years of his career he was a Criminal Investigator.

In 1958, while in processing at Fort Myer, VA, Andy met his future wife, Doris M. May. The two got married on 14 March 1959. They had three children who grew up as “military brats”. Andy’s military career took him and his family many places. He served in Korea, Vietnam, Panama Canal Zone, Germany and of course in the United States of America. After retiring from the military Andy owned and operated his own business for a few years. He later became an insurance representative. In 1985 he started working for the Federal Government in Computer Security. He retired from the Federal Government in 1998.

Andy is survived by Doris, his wife of 55 years; son, Karl Smith, of Melbourne, Australia; daughter, Valerie Smith, of Fairfield Glade, TN; three grandsons, Charles Morrison, of Vernon, AZ, Kenneth and Andrew Boyce, both of Tucson, AZ; one great granddaughter, Jade Morrison of Phoenix, AZ; numerous brothers-and sisters-in-law; nephews, nieces and cousins. He was preceded in death by his son Kenneth Smith, parents, brother, mother and father-in-law. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Interment will be in Hinesville, GA. Hood Funeral Home in Crossville, TN is in charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:56 pm:  Edit

Andy was a real gentleman. I met him near the end of my CID time and liked him from the start. This world's a poorer place for his passing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:16 am:  Edit

CWO (Ret) Andrew J "Andy" Smith, 78, passed away on 5 May 2014 after several years of illness. A more complete obituary will be published ASAP.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: