James Schlesinger - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): James Schlesinger - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan White (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:56 pm:  Edit

Although not part of Sec Def Schlesinger's assigned PSD, CID field SAs were in support and often involved in advance parties. I do recall those days/assignments in Mannheim/Heidelberg areas. Seeing the name - SA Jim Thames (Paris) -- also brings back "some" memories and stories. I was TDY to Nancy and Metz, France, on a drug investigation and Jim met me to assist. We had some good times!! He didn't "water" any plants when I was with him. RIP Sec Def Schlesinger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Brown (John_brown) on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:08 am:  Edit

Hey John Mays....if Bill Ambrose was still with us he would now intervene with a tale about you and an isolated airfield I think. :-) The Secretary's passing also reminds me of Jim Thames in the Paris Office and that Emily Schlesinger still owes me $10 from a trip to Paris. And hey for those agents who took Charlie on a visit to Hooker Hill in Yongsan.....what a night huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John R. Mays (John_mays) on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:43 am:  Edit

I was on his detail many times. Found his Security Guy Joe, very hard to deal with. Always had to make sure the "hard case" was taken care of in foreign countries. Bird watcher he was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 11:56 am:  Edit

While stationed at SHAPE in the mid '70s, I was part of a team that worked with him in Belgium and Netherlands. He was definitely a birder, and appreciated his CID security detail. The WashPost had quite a detailed obit on him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:21 pm:  Edit

Those of you assigned to HQ CIDC in the early 1970ís or supported PSD mission in the field will probably remember James Schlesinger, Secretary of Defense from 1973 till 1975, when he was fired by President Ford. He has died at the age of 85. He served in top Cabinet-level posts under three presidents. Becoming defense secretary in 1973 at age 44, Schlesinger was well-liked among military leaders, consulting with them frequently and aggressively lobbying Congress for more money for the armed forces. His pro-interventionist foreign policy also brought him favor with the new-right coalition of the day. He worked to rebuild military morale and revamp nuclear strategy in the turbulent period after the Vietnam War era. He opposed amnesty for draft resisters. He was an avid bird-watcher.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: