Joel Edward Swackhammer - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Joel Edward Swackhammer - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan White (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:03 pm:  Edit

Joel Swackhammer was my Ops at the 2nd MP Det (CI), Seoul (Yongson), S. Korea, 71-72. He taught me a lot -- and we also had good times off duty. Rest in Peace Chief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:24 pm:  Edit

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2014 in the Sickness and Hospitalization thread, by James R. Myers. Moved here by Forum Moderator 01/27/14

I just read on the CID facebook that Swackhammer passed away last week. I served with Joel at Carlisle Barracks, PA where we both served in the early to mid 70's. Joel lived several miles from me and we saw each other at the PX-Commissary-Dispensary. I had no knowledge that he passed but was aware that he was in bad health. Rest in Peace Brother. James R. Myers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Cox (Warrencid) on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:50 pm:  Edit

From "The Patriot-News"

Mr. Joel Edward Swackhammer, of Carlisle, passed away, January 12. 2014.

He was born on November 17, 1938 in St Mary's, PA. After graduating from Benezette High School, Joel served in the United States Army for 20 years. He was stationed in Korea where he met his wife of 54 years, Kun Swackhammer. They were married on January 23, 1961.

Mr. Swackhammer served in the U.S. military, earning the rank of Chief Warrant Officer. He won several awards including The Meritorious Service Medal and The Army Commendation Medal. Mr. Swackhammer's commanding officers cited qualities of tact, diplomacy, leadership, and devotion to duty. He also worked for the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board as an Investigation Officer for 23 years where he was known for his straight forward approach, sense of humor, and his giving nature. He was an avid outdoorsman, golfer, self-taught musician who played multiple instruments, do-it-yourselfer, loving husband, father and grandfather.

Mr. Swackhammer is survived and loved by his wife Kun Swackhammer, daughter Linda Miller and granddaughter Lauren Miller. He is also survived by siblings: Arley, Russell and Dora DeCarli. Other predeceased siblings include: Donald, Merlin, Leon, Ila, and Demont. Funeral service will be held 11:00 am Friday, January 17, 2014 in Neill Funeral Home, 3401 Market Street, Camp Hill. Burial with full military honors will be in Cumberland Valley Memorial Gardens, 1921 Ritner Hwy Carlisle, PA.

A viewing will be held on Thursday, January 16, 2014 between the hours of 7-9 p.m at Neill Funeral Home, and on Friday, January 17, 2014 from 10:00 am to time of service. Memorial contributions may be made to Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758517, Topeka, Kansas 66675.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennings Vanover (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:06 pm:  Edit

As reported on this site, Mr. Swackhammer passed on January 12, 2014, in Carlisle, PA. RIP

http://obits.pennlive.com/obituaries/pennlive/obituary.aspx?pid=169127074

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: