James Melvin Fowler - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): James Melvin Fowler - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dannie Taylor (Danniet) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:54 am:  Edit

I'm sorry to hear about Jim's passing. We were together at the old 4th at Ft Myer. Attended his bachelors party and wedding. He was a great mentor and a great person. Rest in peace Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 03:14 pm:  Edit

Jim was a skilled investigator, with a great demeanor, and enjoyed a fine reputation by those who knew him. May he rest in peace. Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Peter_comras) on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 07:19 pm:  Edit

"Jim" and I served at Ft. Myer, VA 1968-9. He was a great investigator; a great friend; even though I once gave him a undeserved hard time. Jim had a great sense of humor--that redhead could get you going. I recall we had a life size photo of Marilyn Monroe and placed "Flip" Feher's head on her body. Flip wouldn't speak to us for a week.

Jim, rest in peace-you certainly earned it.

Peter "B"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Moody (Rob) on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 10:17 am:  Edit

Jim and I served together at the 4th and later at Det A, H'Berg.
He proceeded me as Chief, CID, 1st Cav in Nam. A very good friend. He is missed. My prayers for Barb and family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 08:56 am:  Edit

James Melvin Fowler, 74, of Florence, died at his home on November 12, 2010. Visitation will be from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 16th at Elkins Funeral Home in Florence. A graveside service, with military honors, will follow at Florence City Cemetery at 11:30 a.m. with Bob Melton and Tom Fowler officiating.

Preceding Mr. Fowler in death were his parents, Melvin Till and Nevada O’Kelley Fowler, and sisters Mary Anne Bishop and Sue Ellen Atkinson.

Mr. Fowler was a native of Florence. Following graduation from Coffee High School in 1954, Jim joined the Alabama National Guard. He subsequently went on active duty with the U.S. Army, spending most of his 20-year career in Criminal Investigation in the Washington, D.C. area. His overseas assignments included tours in Korea, VietNam, and Germany. During his Army career, he earned a number of medals including the Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medal. Following retirement from the U.S. Army in 1979 as CWO-4, Mr. Fowler was employed by the Airlines Reporting Corporation, Arlington, Virginia as a fraud prevention officer. In 1997 he relocated to Florence, Alabama and continued employment with ARC, retiring from that organization in 2001. He was an avid fisherman and spent many enjoyable hours on the Tennessee River pursuing his hobby.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, Barbara Borman Fowler: a son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Crystal Fowler of Statesville, NC; a daughter Rachael Fowler of Sugar Grove, NC; a brother and sister-in-law, Tom and Debra Fowler of Florence; a brother-in-law, Buddy Bishop of Tuscumbia; and several nieces and nephews.

Honorary bearers will be Buddy Bishop, Bill Collier, Eddie Collier, Larry Cox, Don O’Kelley, Mike O’Kelley, and Ronnie O’Kelley.

A special thank you to Dr. Felix Morris and Mary Lynn Jackson for their excellent care. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Hospice of Tennessee Valley, 200 W. Tennessee Street, Florence, AL 35630.

Elkins Funeral Home is assisting the family. You are invited to sign the on-line guest register at www.elkinsfh.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rich (Tired_warrior) on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 08:58 am:  Edit

My wife Lore and I were shocked to learn of Jim's passing and offer our condolences to Barb and the kids. We were neighbors in Germany when their first child was born, and Jim and I worked together on the club/mess investigations under Jimmy Johnson. Jim was a dedicated man with high standards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 07:21 am:  Edit

Visitation for James M Fowler, 74, will be from 10: to 11: AM Tuesday, 16 November at Elkins Funeral Home, Florence, AL. Graveside service will follow at 11:30 AM at Florence Cemetery, with full military honors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Youngs (Jyoungs) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 11:43 pm:  Edit

Excerpt from 545th MP Co posting: Viewing will take place in the Elkins Funeral Home, Florence Alabama on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 from 1000 until 1100 hrs and the internment will be held at the Florence Cemetery with full military honors at 1130 hrs the same day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 04:47 pm:  Edit

Among the survivors are Jim's wife, Barbara Fowler; a daughter, Rachael, and a son, Michael. Condolences to the family at 1836 Ford St, Florence, AL,35630

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 01:16 pm:  Edit

CW4 (retired) "Jim" Fowler passed away on 12 November 2010. Additional information is pending and will be posted ASAP.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: