Sam G. Scheer - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Sam G. Scheer - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nprice (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:29 am:  Edit

I don't know how I missed this before, except that I don't get on this site as much as I should or used to. I was sitting here picturing Sam but not remembering where I knew him from until I read Weeden's post. We were all in CID Basic school together. I think I ran across him several times after that too.

All my memories of him are good, and of others speaking well of him. I remember him as a gentlman who always had good words for others, even when in a jesting manner. Sorry he is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Williams (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 01:52 pm:  Edit

Sam Scheer was a fantastic instructor. I remember the big wooden camera model in the front of the class and how he would tell us that we could take pictures or we could take photographs, it was up to us. Because of him I took up photography as a hobby and spent many hours at the Fort Bragg Arts and Craft Center. I also still have an AE-1. Thanks Sam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raul X Ruiz (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 03:23 pm:  Edit

New to this site and catching up on news. Sad news about Sam Scheer. He was my CI class photo instructor and a very good one. His sense of humor made it a pleasure being in his class and easy to understand his lessons. Because of the intro of the Canon AE-1 then, I remain a Canon camera client, now retired and a professional photographer myself. God bless Mr. Sheer's. He, as many CID instructors are part of what I am today. RIP Mr. Sheer, rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SamKout (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:57 pm:  Edit

Sam Scheer was and is a legend. He brought humor to the schoolhouse and humanized an environment that at times was unforgiving. Godspeed Sam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LENNIE WILSON, JR. (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:53 pm:  Edit

The loss of Sam Sheer is a gigantic loss and void for everyone who had the pleasure to know him. RIP Sam!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Decker (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:23 pm:  Edit

I was very sad to hear of Sam's passing. He was a great friend, teacher, and expert in photography. Anyone teaching a rookie investigator how to take beautiful acceptable photographs with a 4 x 5 speed graphic can do anything, and he could. He was USAMPS Criminal Investigations Division outstanding in every respect..loyalty, faithfulness and integrity. God bless you, Sam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hondo Sinclair (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:32 am:  Edit

One of Sam's favorite phrases when I attended McClellan was "film is one of the most inexpensive things we have in the office - take pictures!" I'm sorry to hear he has passed. He was a good guy and will be missed by many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Vitale (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:37 am:  Edit

Through the 8 schools I attended at Ft McClellan Sam was always the highlite of any training. I may be the only agent who had to hug the monkey (Wear it around my neck in class) for trying to be funnier than Sam. Sam remembered my name for every class I attended and was one of few instructors to take the time to attend my WO pinning. God bless and god speed and he will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Pettit (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:47 am:  Edit

I am saddened to learn of the passing of a truly great Agent, instructor and friend. I first met Sam when he was our criminalistics instructor in the basic course. Sam's classes were a joy to attend and always interesting. Many years later when I returned to Anniston as an instructor Sam and Dania befriended Ileana and I. They were always warm and treated us like family. Sam will be missed by so many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hartley (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:23 pm:  Edit

WOW! Glad I was sitting down. I was reading the comments and stories when I came to Gary's comment about smiling when thinking of Sam. How true. You want to smile, just think about ALL the people Sam put in jail over they years. Either through his own cases, his work or USACIL, or the hundreds upon hundreds of Agents he taught. You think about it; that is a lot of bad guys Sam caught of the years.

Sam, thank you for the guidance, tutelage, and friendship. You made the world a better place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:23 am:  Edit

I remember Sam best from my 1975 CID Basic crime scene days when we still had the old 4 X 5 cameras, the ones like they used in the old TV Superman series. We had such a great time learning from Sam how to hold and focus this monster camera when we used the Polaroid function of the camera for crime scene foot prints. Then there was learning how to develop the 4 X 5 film in Sam’s dark room of dark rooms. I can still remember Sam muttering in the dark about not scratching the films or we would have to go out and do the drill all over again! Near the end of my career I ran into Sam again at the CID school when it was my turn to teach, and Sam was still teaching at crime scenes! Sam was a very unique person and CID Agent and he will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Benson (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:15 pm:  Edit

Goodbye Sam,

With all of the seriousness in the world today, your irreverent sense of humor and laid-back personality will be sorely missed. I'll personally miss our regular BS sessions at Books-A-Million.

Bob Benson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:51 am:  Edit

Sam and I were classmates in 1967 and on the USAMPS faculty together 1974 or 1975 to 1978. I enjoyed the heck out of him and his dry and very mature sense of humor. The world is better for having had Sam even for a little while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest D. Hamm (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 03:35 pm:  Edit

Sam was obviously well-remembered for his years of service as a Special Agent and an Instructor, but you must always considered those years that Sam served in the Laboratory as a Special Agent-Forensic Photographer. The photography section of USACIL served ‘behind the scenes’ in support of all areas involved in forensic examinations. The names of examiners would appear on the laboratory reports but the excellent and essential efforts of the forensic photographers were often the key element in a successful conclusion, but the work of the individual photographers was usually only known and appreciated in-house. I had the privilege of having Sam support my cases over many years at USACIL-CONUS and always enjoyed his company, humor, attitude and professionalism. CID and USACIL have lost another good man and friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Riffe (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 01:32 pm:  Edit

"Interesting but not acceptable"

That was Sam's tag line while I was his eager photog student on the hill in '86. I really hated to hear of his passing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danniet (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 01:42 am:  Edit

I have known Sam for many years. I first met him when I was at the Ft. McClellan FO, and then when I went to the I&I Branch at USAMPS. Sam was always funny and upbeat. We were playing one of the MPI classes in softball and Sam was on first. We were taking infield and I was playing third. Everyime I threw a ball to Sam and it wasn't right at his face he would miss it. I asked Frank Ribach what was going on and he said Sam always saw two balls coming at him and always caught the one coming at his face. We made him the umpire and boy was that a hoot. I wound up breaking my ankle in that game and Sam never let me live it down. I agree with all the others that Sam will be missed. Rest in peace old freind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CW4 VDR McClain (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:04 pm:  Edit

Mr Scheer was also the reason I can use a camera today. He was patient, kind and funny. He was a legend at USAMPS and each time one of his students went back to USAMPS for anything they would have to look him up to share a laugh with him. He will be missed, but will live on in our memories of him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grant (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:49 am:  Edit

I was lucky enough to be one of Sam's students during both MPI and CID Basic. I always stopped in to see him at The Hill during the many courses I attended over the years. I never tired of his good humor, or even that wierd monkey he used to play with. When I first met him, I thought a barber had walked into the class room; Must have been those shirts he always wore.

Sam was a great instructor, mentor, gentleman and friend. I will miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Gonzales (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:17 pm:  Edit

CID and those that knew Sam have lost a great and caring person. Sam was my Instructor at USAMPS in 1980. He will be greatly missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rupton (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:34 pm:  Edit

I am sadden by the death of Sam Scheer. When I attended the CID basic course, he taught photography. Sam's classes were the highlight of the course. He was a great person, photographer and agent. He kept us all laughing!
Thanks for all the laughs Sam. May you rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 05:06 pm:  Edit

No question about it, Sam was a winner and a "oner". He was a fellow prop head and we got our Bootstrap degrees at Univ of Neb at Omaha together and subsequently taught together at the MP School at McClellan for 3 years in mid-70's. Particularly enjoyed Sam's keen and unique sense of humor which, coupled with just a slight touch of irreverence, always made me delighted and eager to see him. Hard guy not to like!! We all owe him for his contributions to the Corps. Thanks, Sam, and WELL DONE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jimmy Padgett (Padgettj) on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:16 am:  Edit

Sam was probably the nicest man I ever met.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Richard Coupal (Gary_coupal) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:26 pm:  Edit

This is sad. Sam was a great guy and super instructor. I also had Sam as an Instructor and later assigned to USAMPS with Sam. Just thinking about Sam I sitting here with a smile on my face. Rest in peace Sam, you were one of the good guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL J SEFCIK (Psefcik) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:21 pm:  Edit

It is always sad to hear of another brother or sister of our CID family passing when you visit the site. I also had the opportunity to work with Sam on the "Hill" at USAMPS for a couple of years and Sam was a dedicated, professional and technically competent man.

Sam had an uncanny sense of humour and certainly liked providing his many students "breaks" and after having Larry Self drag them all through Crime Scenes and triangulation both inside and outside of the classroom, it was a welcomed break indeed!!

God bless Sam and his entire family. You will truly be missed my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William E. Daniel (Wdan) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 01:14 pm:  Edit

I only knew Mr. Scheer as an ASAC student going through his photography portion on Crime Scene Hill in AL. He was a true CID legend and will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerold J. Unruh (Jerry_unruh) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:50 pm:  Edit

What a loss! Sam was one-of-a-kind. I was one of his biggest challenges when he tried to teach me how to develop 4 x 5 sheet film for the old Speed Graphic. I always made it a point to look him up when I was at USAMPS for anything. Then had the opportunity to work with him as the Chief of MPOID. If I tried to pretend to be his boss he was likely to remind me of the mess I made in his photo lab -- just to make sure I didn't get too big of a head. He was a great instructor, friend, mentor, and a real-life CID hero. I will really miss him and his family and friends will be in my prayers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:41 am:  Edit

I replaced Mr. Ambrose as Committee Chief in 1982 and Sam was one of the great folks that also worked for me until I PCSd in 1985. With his passing, the CID "family" has lost another good one. He was surely "one-of-a-kind." RIP, Sam, and keep 'em laughing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William R. Ambrose (Bill_ambrose) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 02:00 pm:  Edit

I am very sorry to hear about Sam's passing, From 79 to 81 I was the Committee Chief of Crimes Scenes and Criminalistics. Sam worked for me those two years and taught Crime Scene Photography, Fingerprinting and Casting and Molding to all the basic students. He was a great instructor and at times when he wanted to be, a very funny man. He will be missed,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard W. Slisz (Dick_slisz) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:03 am:  Edit

I knew Sam while TDY in Thailand in 1968. He was one of the funniest guys I ever knew in CID. He took me souvenier shopping prior to my leaving country as he had superior bargaining skills. I nearly died laughing as I watched him beat the Thai vendors down on price. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Stein (Allans35) on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 07:34 pm:  Edit

It is with a great deal of sadness that I report that Sam Scheer died on January 28, 2007 in Anniston, AL. Death has been attributed to a stroke. Sam and I went to the University of Nebraska at Omaha together and were instructors at Fort Gordon at the same time. After he retired from CID, he remained as an instructor at USAMPS for many years. Sam was a good man and his loss is a great loss to those that knew him. His wife, Dania has advised that a Mass will be held for him, followed by a wake to celebrate his life, on February 10, 2007 in Anniston, AL. The mass will be at 2:00 PM at Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: