Peter T. Black - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Peter T. Black - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis John West (Djwest) on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:26 am:  Edit

I had read early that Pete had passed but wasn't ready to say anything until now. I got to know Pete while at our Warrant Officer Advance course at McClellan, along with all the other guys/gals who attended. Not only was it an interesting class but Pete and I became good friends, and we were both single and unattached which lead to some great times and dating adventures. We stayed in touch until he retired from active duty but we did visit each other after we had found our brides. Pete was an exceptional person with a great talent of knowledge and talk. He would have been a great English comic with his sense of humor. I will remember Pete, very well, indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K. Groszkiewicz (Groszkm) on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 03:04 pm:  Edit

I believe Pete and I attended the CID Basic Course at Fort McCellan, together, and then crossed paths numerous years later at FLETC in Georgia. In fact, the wife and I took him home to Fort Campbell after graduation from Fort McCellan. We had fun together over a few bourbons. We must be youngsters to a lot of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 11:17 am:  Edit

Sorry to hear about losing Pete. I never really worked with Pete, but got to know him enough to really appreciate him as a friend and collegue. Wish he was still around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Busby (Bob_busby) on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:02 am:  Edit

Pete was a good guy who had his own way of doing things but he got the job done, Pete will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott D. Russell (Srussell59) on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 06:39 am:  Edit

Here's Pete's obituary from the Washington Post:

"Peter Gideon Taylor Black, 60, of Dowell, MD, died in Arlington, VA on October 11, 2010. He recently retired as a Senior Supervising Special Agent for the Inspector General's Office after 20 years of government service. He was a Professor of Criminal Justice and taught at several universities including the University of Maryland and Johns Hopkins University. He served for 20 years with the United States Army, from which he retired in 1990, having earned the rank of Chief Warrant Officer 3. He is survived by his mother, Felicia Black; wife of 13 years, Trudy Black; son, John Doyle; daughters, Christine Black and Lori (Chris) Harmon; brothers, Phillip, Andrew and David Black and grandchildren Patrick and Casey Harmon. The family will receive visitors on Saturday, October 16, 2010 from 2 to 3 p.m. at Raymond-Wood Funeral Home, 10684 Southern Maryland Blvd (Rt. 4 S), Dunkirk, MD 20754. A Celebration of Life will begin at 3 p.m. Interment is scheduled for Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 11 a.m. at Arlington National Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to Safe Harbor, Inc., PO Box 801, Pr. Frederick, MD 20678."

Again, please keep Pete's wife and family in your prayers.

Rest in Peace Pete, we will miss you.

Scott Russell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott D. Russell (Srussell59) on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 06:29 am:  Edit

Information on Pete Black's memorial service and internment:

"Memorial Service Scheduled for Mr. Peter T. Black

A memorial service for retired Special Agent Peter Black will be held on Saturday, October 16, 2010, at the Raymond-Wood Funeral Home in Dunkirk, Maryland. Pete's family will receive visitors from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., followed by a Celebration of Life.

The Raymond-Wood Funeral Home is located at 10684 Southern Maryland Boulevard (Rt. 4 South) in Dunkirk, Maryland, 20754.

Interment is scheduled for January 19, 2011, at 11 a.m. at Arlington National Cemetery."

Additionally, Pete's family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a battered womens' center in Maryland. The funeral home did not have the address, but they will make sure that the address will be in the obituary. I will post the address as soon as I can find it.

For cards and letters to Pete's family the address is: 933 Oyster Bay Place, Dowell MD 20629

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph J. Blevins (Cidralph) on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 07:57 pm:  Edit

I am sorry to hear of Pete Black's passing. Rest in pease Pete. I only had a couple times contact with him as a traveling polygrapher but found him to be an excellent person. My condolences to his family. Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Allgood (Chuckoig) on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:42 pm:  Edit

I am very sorry to hear that Pete has passed away. I served with Pete in CID and also at the OIG, DoD. Pete was a gentleman and a well respected agent. He was always willing to assist his fellow agents to accomplish the investigative mission.

I will always remember Pete as a friend and a very professional agent.

Rest in Peace my friend and may God bless you and your family.

Respectfully,
Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott D. Russell (Srussell59) on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:29 pm:  Edit

Here is the text from the DoD IG's official announcement today of Pete's death:

"To All:

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Mr. Peter T. Black, a member of the OIG family, passed away on Monday, October 11, 2010.

Pete joined the DoD OIG in 1990 as a Special Agent/ Polygraph Examiner with DCIS. During his years with DCIS, Pete participated in numerous investigations to include Tailhook and Whitewater (Filegate); actions in Guatemala and Khamisiyah; Iraq and Gulf War Syndrome; U.S. counternarcotics effort in Latin America; terrorist attack of the Pentagon.

In April 2009, Pete came to the Office of Professional Responsibility where he remained until his retirement from Federal service on September 30, 2010. Prior to his career with the OIG, Pete served in numerous positions within the United States Army Criminal Investigation Division Command, where he retired as a Chief Warrant Officer. For the past 30 years, Peter also taught public administration, management, emergency management, and criminal justice at various colleges and universities. Pete's enthusiasm and dedication to his profession never waned. In his 40-year career in law enforcement, his intent was 'to make the world just a little safer.'

Pete is survived by his wife Trudy; son John; daughters Christine and Lori; son in law Christopher, and grandsons Patrick and Casey. A service at the Arlington National Cemetery is being planned. Additional information will be provided regarding this memorial services in the near future. Ms. Sue Rogers will serve as primary point of contact regarding arrangements and can be reached at (703) 604-8605.

Gordon [Heddel]"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William R. Ambrose (Bill_ambrose) on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 05:37 am:  Edit

Pete was my polygrapher when I was Ops at Ft. Hood back in the early 80's. He was a dedicated person with a good sense of humor. Rest in peace my friend and God bless you and your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:50 pm:  Edit

Posted by Jerry Mattiaccio on Monday,
October 11, 2010 - 05:15 PM

I have just been told that Pete passed. I worked with him at Fort Hood and he was a great man.
He will be missed. Godspeed Pete.

Reposted here by Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:47 pm:  Edit

Posted by Bob Busby, 11 Oct 2010

So sorry to hear of the death of Pete Black
today. When I heard about Pete having his heart attack I did a quick search looking for any information on his heart attack and found this link to a speech Pete gave some time back. The speech is Pete Black all the way with all his smiles, frowns, funny side and real side. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family...

http://www.homelanddefensetv.com/default.cfm?ID=8779&clip=2&type=wmhigh
(Might not play unless you install Active X)Reposted here by Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott D. Russell (Srussell59) on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 05:53 pm:  Edit

Pete Black passed away on October 11 as a result of a heart attack he suffered one hour after retiring from DCIS on October 1, 2010. Pete served 20 years in the Army and 20 years with DCIS. Pete was 60 years old.

Plans are being made for a service at Arlington National Cemetery.

Please keep Pete's wife Trudy and his family in your thoughts and prayers for God's comfort during this most difficult time.

Pete was a polygraph examiner with CID and DCIS and finished his career as a criminal investigator with the DoD IG Office of Professional Responsibility where he worked internal misconduct investigations. Pete also worked as a DCIS firearms instructor and taught college classes at the graduate and undergraduate level. He was well respected and always well informed on law enforcement and investigative topics. It was always interesting to share stories over a cup of coffee at the cafeteria with Pete.

More to follow...

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: