John L. Runnberg - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): John L. Runnberg - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David G.Ownby (Derdegen) on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 10:28 am:  Edit

I just saw John's name in the obit column of MOAA magazine. I just could not believe it, and came to this site this morning to confirm it. I just saw him year before last at the annual CIDAA gathering. I served with him and Lee Blasingame in Nurenberg. I was looking forward to seeing him this year but he didn't make it, and now I know why. I don't recall anyone mentioning his death at our gathering in Atlanta. He was a no-nonsense CID agent and a likeable guy. Dave Ownby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesus Villegas (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 09:12 pm:  Edit

It's been a while since I last visited the CID Forum link, my heart fell and a deep sense of sadness took over me when I read that my dear friend John Runnberg had passed away. I worked for John while assigned to the Nurnberg RA from 89-91. As his evidence custodian, I was always close to him. John was indeed a good man, and a good friend. I WILL MISS YOU MY FRIEND, REST IN PEACE. My condolences and my sympathy go out to his family and friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By raulxnm (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:30 pm:  Edit

Thank you for posting the information Lee. I will make it to Washington within the year. I will visit John. Thanks again, Raul X. Ruiz Rooney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Blasingame (Lee_blasingame) on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 07:48 am:  Edit

On 9/17/2010 we honored our friend and fellow CID Special Agent John Runnberg during a ceremony held at Arlington National Cemetery. John suffered a heart attack on July 30th, 2010 as he walked through the parking lot returning to work at lunch time.

As John had wished, his sisters Dee Ballman and Charlene Horan brought his remains to Arlington for internment with his soldier family. Both Dee and Charlene expressed to me their sincere gratitude to those who attended. It meant so much to them to witness the love and respect shown their brother.

If your travels ever take you to Arlington, I would encourage you to pay your respects at the Niche Wall, Section RR, Stack 33, placement #2. John was a dear friend to many of us and will be sorely missed but remembered fondly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LON W. HARRELL (Lon_harrell) on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 07:59 am:  Edit

I was informed that the interment ceremony for John is still scheduled for 0900 hours, 17 September 2010 at the Arlington National Cemetery. I just lit a candle in memory of John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By raulxnm (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 12:49 am:  Edit

So sad to hear that John has passed away. I concur with all of John's CIDAA friends and co workers on condolences to his family on our and their loss.

I knew John at Fort Benning, GA in 1979-80 when he was doing his CID tour in DST. We wrote to each other on Facebook a few months ago remembering events of that time. A good natured, intelligent person who wore his badge with pride. A commitment to do his best, to do "What Has to Be Done," John did it well.

St John the Baptist De La Salle pray for John. You are missed. God Bless. Raul X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cline (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 12:08 pm:  Edit

I'm shocked and saddened to hear that John passed away. I can still see him in the hallways at the Nuernberg RA and the Ft Benning District. He was a good person and an excellent Agent. God speed John!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Blasingame (Lee_blasingame) on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:49 pm:  Edit

I have just been informed by John's sister that his interment cermony will be at Arlington National Cemetery on 9/17/2010 @ 0900. The cemetery has infomed all attendees that they must be at the grounds by 0830 driving thier own POV (evidently Taxi's are not allowed on the grounds). The gates open at 0800.

Again, 0900, 9/17/2010 which is a Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald R. Seekins (Rseekins) on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 05:35 pm:  Edit

John preceeded me at my terminal assignment as the agent at the Ft. McCoy, WI branch office. We had two or three weeks of overlap and I soon learned he was a great guy and a very conscientious CID agent. He helped me get settled in, introduced me to the people I needed to know and I took over an office that was in perfect shape. John had an exemplary career in CID and he was much too young to be gone so soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Grossman (Rekib) on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 09:41 am:  Edit

I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear of John's passing on July 30th. John was my SAC (1989-1992) in Nuernberg, Germany and we had kept in touch over the years. Jim Savage and I had a few beers with him and the three of us spent some time catching up a couple of years ago when John came to the DC area for a conference for his position with the Kansas Securities Commission. He will be missed. RIP my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Moore (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 05:51 pm:  Edit

Sometime in the early 80's John and I did some protective services work together. One could not ask for a better guy to work with than John. Professional, competent and while serious enough to get the job done enough of a sense of humor to actually make working a little bit of fun. About ten years after working those protective services missions with John I found myself TDY for court in Nurenburg. I don't recall what it was but there was something I needed while I was there so I went to the best place I could think of for help. I ran over to the local CID Office and went in to see the SAC. To my surprise and enjoyment it turned out to be John. He greeted me with a big smile and although it had been probably ten years since we'd seen each other it was as if it was just yesterday that we had worked together. John was just one of those kind of guys. They don't come any better. Rest in Peace my friend.
If possible, I would like to attend the ceremony at Arlington when the date becomes available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott D. Russell (Srussell59) on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 07:08 am:  Edit

... very sorry to hear of John's passing. I wasn't fortunate enough to have worked closely with John, but I had the good fortune to meet him in Korea at Camp Red Cloud in the early '80s when we were young men and junior Warrant Officers. He had a tremendous career and a tremendous reputation as an agent, CID supervisor, and as a man. It saddens me that life was so painful for John. My condolonces and my sympathy go out to his friends and loved ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 08:02 pm:  Edit

Hard worker, solid citizen, conscientious, capable, and especially likeable...I can think of many adjectives to describe John. I am proud to have served with him and so very sad to learn he has been taken home at such an early age.

I join Lee and Glenn in tribute to your service.
Well done, John, well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By L W Berg (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:07 pm:  Edit

John was a man that will remain in the hearts of many an Agent. John and I have crossed paths a few times since CID and his professionalism followed him into the civilian world. God Bless John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norm Weisenfluh (Norm) on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:53 am:  Edit

Over the years I had limited contact with John, probably just on PSA missions and the occasional course here and there. However, John always impressed me as a professional and a real nice guy. So sorry to see another good agent pass so young. My prayers will be with you John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn M. Schultz (Glennschultz) on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:32 am:  Edit

John Runnberg, simply put, was the epitome of what a CID SAC should be, in every respect! Technical competence was just the beginning, John knew his people; their strengths and weaknesses, triumphs and tragedies; and he cared. Not surprising that Nürnburg RA ran like a Swiss watch under John's steady hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael A. Gates (Mike_gates) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 10:28 pm:  Edit

I was fortunate to work with John on the CID/MPI Drug Suppression Team between 1974 and 1978 at the Wildflecken Training Area, in West Germany. We were later stationed at Fort Benning, GA where he was accepted into the CID program. I last saw him at the CIDAA meeting in Corpus Christi several years ago. John was a friend and a gentleman. REST IN PEACE JOHN, YOU WILL BE MISSED.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Blasingame (Lee_blasingame) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 09:15 pm:  Edit

I consider myself fortunate to have known and worked with John. He was truely an Agent's Agent who will always be remembered for his investigative skills, professionalism and wit. John, save a seat for me at the big SAC meeting !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald R. Allbright (Don) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 05:54 pm:  Edit

I am deeply saddened to hear about the passing of John. I never worked with him but had the opportunity to attend several classes and other functions with him. He was very out-going and friendly and I always enjoyed his company. My prayers will be with John and his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 03:39 pm:  Edit

CWO (Ret) John L Runnberg, 57, was born 14 February 1953, in St Paul, MN. He passed away on 30 July 2010, in Topeka, KS. John was the son of Laurence and Mildred (Reynolds) Runnberg. He graduated from Henry Sibley High School in 1971 and Troy University at Ft Benning, GA, with a Masters degree in Criminal Justice Administration. He served in the U S Army from 1972 to 1993 as a Special Agent with the Criminal Investigations Division, and was currently employed as the Director of Enforcement for the Kansas Securities Commission. Among the survivors are his sisters, Dee Ballman, Colorado Springs, CO, Charlene Horan, Aurora, CO, and Anne Wells, West St Paul, MN. John will lie in state at Penwell-Gabel Mid Town Chapel after 2:PM on Wednesday, 4 August 2010, and the family will receive friends from 5: to 7:PM. Burial will be in Arlington National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Colmery-O'Neal Veterans Administration Hospital, 2200 SW Gage,Topeka, KS 66622. Sign the guest book at: www.PenwellGabelTopeka.com Condolences to the address on page 98 of the Gold Book. (Thanks to Lon Harrell)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: