Bob Gaffney - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Bob Gaffney - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Admin) on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:35 pm:  Edit

The Arlington National Cemetery ceremony for Bob Gaffney will be on Friday, 17 Jan 2014 at 1300 hrs (report to the Administration Building at 1230 hrs). Details are online at http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/FuneralInformation/DailySchedule.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Member) on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 10:25 pm:  Edit

Robert "Bob" Gaffney

Larry Drayton's below message mentions the family's request for charitable donations in lieu of flowers. Click here to see details for making donations in memory of Bob Gaffney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 02:13 pm:  Edit

Julie Howe of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences provided the following:

It is with deep sadness that I notify you that Bob Gaffney lost his struggle with cancer and passed away on May 15, 2013.

Bob was a passionate patriot who served our nation in several different capacities. He was a Chief Warrant Officer 4 for 22 years, serving as a Chief of Operations for the Forensic Research and Training Academy of the United States Army Military Police, a Criminal Investigation Laboratory Special Agent Field Investigator for the United States Army, Department of Defense. Bob was deployed to Iraq as the forensic science consultant to establish crime labs in the theater and assisted the recovery of bodies at mass graves.

Bob received numerous awards for his service, including the Department of Army Civilian Superior Performance Medal, the Secretary of Defense Medal for Action on the Global War on Terrorism and the Department of the Army Meritorious Service Medal.

Bob was a member of the Technical Services Working Group (TSWG), International Association of Identification (IAI), and the National Technical Investigator's Association. Bob was certified as a Senior Crime Scene Analyst by the IAI. He also earned his Masters in Forensic Science from George Washington University and completed the American Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) Fellowship in 1990. Bob taught night classes as an adjunct professor in forensic science at Southern Crescent Technical College (formerly Griffin Technical College) in Griffin, GA for many years. After retiring from civil service at USACIL last year, Bob took over their forensic science program where he was an inspiration to his students and colleagues.

As you know, Bob was very active in the AAFS. He served on the Board of Directors, was the General Section Secretary and Chair, as well as serving on numerous Academy and Section committees. Bob received the Paul W. Kehres Meritorious Service Award in recognition for his service and dedication in the forensic sciences. The Academy recognized Bob with a special award at the 2013 meeting for his tireless efforts to provide recommendations for more than 50 applicants within the General Section. Bob believed in the mission and work of the Academy and led by example.

I wanted to highlight some of Bob's accomplishments because he was a special person and mentor to many. Bob gave 100% to everything that he did. Like many of you, I am blessed to call him a friend and cannot express how much he will be missed

A memorial service for Bob will be held on Tuesday, May 28 at 1100 hours. The service will be held at St Philip Benizi catholic church, 591 Flint River Rd, Jonesboro, GA 30238. Bob's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation in his name to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital or to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Marshall (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 03:34 pm:  Edit

Truly sorry to hear about Bob. Great person who was always willing to help. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:05 am:  Edit

May he enjoy eternal life and RIP. Did not know Bob on the active duty periods of our careers but did meet him once when I stopped at the crime lab when we were both Civilians working for CID. Then contacted him by phone over the years and sought his advice on several matters. Great guy and true professional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis John West (Djwest) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 08:04 am:  Edit

Very, very sad to hear that one of my closest CID friends has passed. Shared many adventures and fun with Bob, and Nancy, while at SHAPE. Following that assignment we met while in DC and at training events. Always had fun with Nancy. Bob will be missed. My prays to Nancy and family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 11:24 pm:  Edit

Bob was a good friend and colleague who has left us way to soon. RIP my brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Hornsby (Billy2292) on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 08:40 am:  Edit

Worked with Bob at the Lab. He was one of the good guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan F Boehm (Afboehm) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:44 am:  Edit

Bob will be missed. We retired about the same time and continued working together via the American Academy of Forensic Science.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K. Groszkiewicz (Groszkm) on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:51 pm:  Edit

Bubba and his wife, Nancy, were good friends of ours since our days at Ft Ben Harrison in 77-79. We wined, dined, picniked, and danced together many weekends and kept in touch over the years, including a Germany vacation when he was at SHAPE and I was in Frankfurt. Sue and I are deeply saddened. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed German (Admin) on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 10:58 pm:  Edit

Received from Jeff Huber on 15 May 2013:

Robert "Bob" Gaffney passed away last night at his home near Atlanta, GA while under hospice care for cancer. Arrangements are being made for a memorial service in the Atlanta area and later interment at Arlington National Cemetery. Bob completed basic CID Agent training in March 1977 and served Army CID ever since, retiring from active duty to serve as a civilian at USACIL, until retirement (again) a few months ago.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: