Robert Ressler - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Robert Ressler - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerold J. Unruh (Jerry_unruh) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 09:10 am:  Edit

I have not visited this site for some time and was deeply saddened to see that Bob Ressler had passed. I only met him once in 1979 when I attended his one-week hostage negotiation class for CID SA. He made a positive and indelible impression that I still carry. Rest in peace Sir, you truly made a difference!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 07:16 am:  Edit

A detailed obit can be found at:

http://www.covenantfuneralservice.com/obituaries/robert-kenneth-ressler/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil McGuire (Phil) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 04:03 pm:  Edit

COL Ressler was one of the greats. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TC Jones (Tc) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:51 am:  Edit

I join all in mourning the loss of a great friend and professional colleague whose contributions to Army CID extended over decades. I agree with Lee's comment that he was a CID Agent at heart. In an era when FBI Agents with dual status as military reservists were encouraged to terminate their military connection, Bob ignored the trend and remained one of us. I recall very clearly attending his retirement party from the FBI at Quantico. His Bureau colleagues presented him a plaque with a military sabre mounted on it and an engraving to "Colonel Robert Ressler".

As John Henderson notes, Bob played a huge role in facilitating our being able to host him and other instructor teams to bring to our agents in Europe, the most current in contemporary professional education.

My he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan F Boehm (Afboehm) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:16 am:  Edit

I think that Ray captured it, "I am blessed to have known him and the world is a better place for his work."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:39 pm:  Edit

He was my first CID Commander Fort Sheridan, Il. 1967. Great man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Blasingame (Lee_blasingame) on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:12 pm:  Edit

A CID Agent at heart. I recall the great training he brought to Germany. A real friend of the Agent. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas G Wilson (Tom) on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:08 pm:  Edit

Moved to thread by moderator

Author: padrerichard (Unregistered Guest)
Date: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:48 am
Text: I had the good fortune to attend a hostage negotiation class Bob taught. He was a true pioneer and a fan of CID. RIP, Colonel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:51 pm:  Edit

Bob was a personal friend and a valued colleague who would do anything he could for CID. It is sad that he had to leave us under such horrible circumstances. I am blessed to have known him and the world is a better place for his work.

Thanks, Larry, for keeping us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E. Henderson (John_henderson) on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 10:11 pm:  Edit

So sorry to hear of Bob's passing. He was a true friend to CID and was responsible for most, if not all of the FBI training received by Agents in the 80s. He visited Billy Vaughn and me at least weekly while we were in the Training section at Command and always asked if he could do more for us. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Drayton (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 07:33 am:  Edit

Col. Robert Ressler passed away on Sunday, May 5, 2013 after a very long and debilitating illness.

Col. Ressler was a pioneer in the field of forensic profiling and helped start the FBIís Behavioral Science Unit, at Quantico, VA. He was a trailblazer in the art of profiling and has been credited for coining the phrase, "serial killer". Col. Ressler started the concept of interviewing convicted murderers in prison to determine "what made them tick"

After retiring from the FBI, he wrote, consulted and taught others about the science of forensic profiling. He authored several books including "Whoever Fights Monsters" and "I Have Lived in the Monster", plus many articles in the field of profiling.

Col. Ressler joined the American Academy of Forensic Sciences in 1989 and regularly participated in the Academy's annual meetings with workshop presentations, and book signings. He was awarded the General Sectionís John R. Hunt award in 2009. He was also recognized by the Vidocq Society and awarded the Halbert Fillinger award.

A public viewing will take place on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at Covenant Funeral Home from 6 PM to 8 PM. Funeral Service is on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at Covenant Funeral Home at 2 PM. Burial Service is going to be held at a later date at Arlington National Cemetery.

Col. Ressler was a Associate CIDAA Member. Condolences may be sent to the address listed in the 2012 Gold Book.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: