LNCI Gunther "Jake" Berthel - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): LNCI Gunther "Jake" Berthel - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark O'Malley (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:33 am:  Edit

What a wonderful man. I learned a lot from that man - about German law, German criminals but more importantly about life in general. I'll never forget the story of when he (for those that did not know Jake - think of any movie that had a German in lederhosen drinking beer - that's Jake) was downtown in Nuernberg with an under-nourished US Civil Attorney. As Jake parked the car in a handicapped slot, the attorney brought this to his attention. Jake's response: "Don't worry - by Bavarian standards you ARE handicapped"

He actually got me to be driven around Fuerth in the trunk of a source's Mercedes just so I could witness bribes being paid.

He will be missed - and thought of often. God bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hondo Sinclair (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 02:23 pm:  Edit

Very sad news indeed. Jake was a truly good guy and will be missed. I can recall his larger than life smile and laugh when I worked in Würzburg from 92 - 95. Treated me great too every time I'd go up to Schweinfurt. I remember how Bruno Krämer (our LNCI) used to call him "Jakey Boy". RIP my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allbright (Don1952) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:27 pm:  Edit

Jake was a wonderful man and a great CID asset. He always had kinds words for everyone and was willing to go the extra mile to help you out. I worked with him often while in Schweinfurt and Bad Kissingen and always appreciated his candor, helpfulness and compassion. Jake was a big man and I will never get the picture of him falling out of the barn out of my mind, a story he told more than once. Jake will be missed by everyone who knew him. My sincere condolenscences to Jake's family and friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LON W. HARRELL (Lon_harrell) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 06:02 am:  Edit

Jennifer, thanks for posting the information about Herr Gunther "Jake" Berthel,LNCI, Schweinfurt CID. I remember him when he was assigned to the Fraud Team in Nuernberg...Steve Volk, Mark O'Malley and Charles "Chuck" Skinner. What a great team. Jake was very loyal to CID. His many friends will miss him. RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Redfern (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 10:02 pm:  Edit

I received this email from Jim Savage on 26 Feb 10 but in an account I don't read very often.

I apologize for the delay in getting this to the association. I worked with Jake on several fraud cases during my two tours in Germany. Fantastic LNCI. I know that Jim Savage was very close to Jake as was Mark O'Malley. Here is Jim's email message again....

Jennifer: I am still here in Afghanistan, getting ready to come home for good on 11 Mar 10. I am now at Bagram Air field, up to my behind in mud, and got the message below last night. I feel terrible. Anyway, if you could, would you please contact the CID Agents Association and announce Jake's death to the CID community. His real name was Gunther Berthel, and I know he worked at the Schweinfurt Resident Agency from at least Jun 84 to his retirement around Jun 2004. He was one of the first LNCI's to be allowed to attend the CID basic agents course.

His wife, who I think is Helda is still living at the family's home. I guess sympathy cards could go there:

The Berthel Family
Martinsweg 2
Aidhausen, Germany 97491

I really liked him a lot. Tango Yankee
Jim Savage

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: