Leslie J. "Les" Denk - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Leslie J. "Les" Denk - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brauner (Bob) on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:04 pm:  Edit

Rest in peace Les. Your kind soul and caring heart had an impact on all of us who knew you.

Bob Brauner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 04:51 pm:  Edit

A beautiful and touching tribute to a most deserving individual. Excellent presentation Robert. Aloha Les, "a hui hou" (until we meet again). Mike Pickering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 01:09 pm:  Edit

Remembering Les Denk at Arlington National Cemetery - April 22, 2010

I just made it to the burial of CW4 Denk today and managed to get a few pictures, there were plenty of photographers there taking video and still shots, so I am sure family and friends will see more than I managed to capture.

The following link will take you to onetruemedia where I have posted the pictures taken at Arlington today.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=ac8ba71470cf8cedb83650&skin_id=701

Les will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:19 pm:  Edit

Great guy, RIP!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Woods (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 05:41 pm:  Edit

I remember Les as a man who stood by his covictions. He was doing my OER when he was informed by the commander not to rate me too high. Les informed the commander that he (the commander) could not dictate how Les would rate me. I appreciated his efforts. A good Agent, and most of all a good man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 01:57 pm:  Edit

Rememering Les Denk...In 1975 I was a new Army CID Special Agent assigned to the Stuttgart CID office and Les Denk was the Operations Officer. I still remember sitting in his office talking about some case when he had to take a phone call. Les answered the phone and said hello, are you sure, who are you again, he put the phone down, got up and walked to the book case and pulled a binder out, referred to the binder, picked up the phone and read a date and document number to the caller and hung up. Les told me it was an investigator from CID HQs wanting to know how he was going to pay back $50,000.00 in recovered US Currency Les receipted for in Viet Nam! Seems CID had just gotten around to reviewing this particular case of stolen and recovered money and the recovered money could not be accounted for and the last person to have the recovered money was Les. CID decided it was up to Les to pay the money back or account for it, however Les being the meticulous person he was still had a copy of the evidence document showing he receipted for and later turned over the money to others for processing, Les knew where the document was when he got the call and acted like it was no big deal that CID thought he had lost $50,000.00 and wanted it back! I remember Les Denk as being a very calm and matter-of-fact kind of guy. Les will be missed by all who knew him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reggie Ray (Cdrrjr) on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 12:50 pm:  Edit

Truly one of the best. RIP and God bless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila Denk (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 01:06 pm:  Edit

I, too, would like to add my thanks for your kind thoughts, prayers, cards and shared memories. The military and especially his CID family meant so much to my dad. He wanted to write his own obituary for his CID family to read, detailing his career in the military. We started it many times, but never were able to finish it. Steve and I gained so much having grown up in the military and so many of you are part of those memories that we have. I have to agree with all of you that dad was a wonderful man. Throughout his illness he was still the man that you all knew and cared about. Even though his body was failing him, he rarely complained. Whenever asked how he was doing, he always replied “fair to middlin” or “I’m surviving” with a shake of his hand. I have a great picture of him doing just that and I would be happy to share with anyone who would like it. Dad had a long road to travel and he did it gracefully and with dignity. And, that is the way he will always be remembered by us, a man of grace and dignity, a dedicated career man, a great friend, a loving and devoted husband and father, who was blessed to have found love twice, but most of all a kind, gentle man who would do anything he could to help you and was loved by many, especially his family. Dad is now at peace and with those he loved that have already left us. May you rest in peace and you will always be in our hearts; we will always love and miss you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 01:57 pm:  Edit

My condolences to the family and the many friends of Les Denk. I was not a close and personal friend of Les during our assignment in Stuttgart (circa 74/75)...something I shall regret for the rest of my life. As I turn back the pages of time since our tour together, I can still see this tall gentleman who seemingly was always in control and ready to do what had to be done to help anyone in time of need. Les had an unassuming manner about him...he was a leader of men, someone you could look to for advice and feel confident that what he told you was his honest assessment of the situation at hand. May he rest in peace.
Mike Pickering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Denk (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:28 pm:  Edit

Thank you all very much for the thoughts and prayers. Dad truly loved the CID and so many of the outstanding people he worked with through the years. Sheila and I loved "growing up" in the CID community and meeting so many incredible people. We're very proud of all of you and share a lot of wonderful memories...Thank you Dad (Chief), I love you, I miss you so much, you'll live in our hearts forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reid Chave (Rjchave) on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 06:46 pm:  Edit

As noted in other entries, the loss of Les Denk has been felt by so many who knew Les and his family over the years. He truly was a gentleman in every sense of the word. Les, Jim Smith (RIP), Mike Pickering and I were neighbors in the same housing unit in Stuttgart (1973 – 1975), so we not only had contact on the job, but our wives/kids interacted on a daily basis. Les drove us to the airport in Stuttgart when I returned to the U.S. to retire. We maintained contact over the years especially when Les was so active in attending CIDAA meetings. After Les lost his dear Inge, he met and married Marianne. Many will recall that Les and Marianne took the CIDAA reunion cruise in April, 1998, and joked that it was their wedding cruise (it was!).

It was an honor to be able to join Carl Craig, Larry Mason, and son, Steve Denk, as pallbearers at the service held for Les last Friday at the Fort Jackson Main Chapel and to render one last salute. We wore miniature CID badges with black memorial tape, which had been collected and prepared by Les and given to Carl with the comment, “Save these—you’ll need them some day.” The service was jointly conducted by a military chaplain and Father Lopez, who was a boyhood friend and later a college classmate. A fitting tribute to a fine man. God Bless Les and his family.

Reid and Jacin Chave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Bullock (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:25 am:  Edit

I had the opportunity to meet Les on a couple of occasions and was intending to meet with him and others of the CID living in the Ft. Jackson area. Sorry I missed the occasion Les. My condolences go out to his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 09:48 pm:  Edit

It was an honor to have known and served with Leslie Denk!! He was a giant of a man with a giant heart who favorably impacted on so many of us. Have so many good memories that I could share but let me just mention two of them.
- Les and I did a Technical Assistance Visit (AKA: Inspection) of K-Town Dist whilst he was Ops in NBerg. First stop was Bremerhaven. Les started telling about his experiences at Stuttgart when LTC Berry and Jimmy Smith, et al, were there. He began his story as we drove away from Autobahn Kaserne and he finished it as we pulled in to Bremerhaven (And I ain't lying!)
- On Friday afternoon, as we were finishing the first week, we were parked at a stop light on a hill behind two young Frauleins. When the light changed their auto rolled backwards into our GOV and put a dent in it. We looked at the dent and then we looked at each other and agreed to deal with the problem the following week. The following Monday, Les picked me up and the first thing I asked him was "What should we do about the dent?" Les: "What dent?" Me: "How much do I owe you?" Les: "I have no idea what you are talking about but I wish you would quit".

God Bless you, Leslie. You were a "oner" and you will surely be missed by many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph J. Blevins (Cidralph) on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 07:47 am:  Edit

Les will be missed. I did not work with him but had interaction at Nuernburg when he was Opns and recalled him as a great man. RIP Les. Blessing for you and your family.
Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron foster (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 08:09 pm:  Edit

It was sad to hear of the passing of Les. He was the Nuernburg Ops when I was assigned to Ansbach RA from 81 until my transfer to Bad Kreuznach in 1983. He was instrumental in my assignment to Bell Hop I, II and III. He will be missed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry L. Burke (Burketal) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 06:54 pm:  Edit

Good bye old boss and friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard D. Shook (Richshook) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 04:05 pm:  Edit

I echo the thoughts and sentiments of everyone. I was the SAC at Bamberg from 80-84 and Les was the Opns when I arrived. He was a great boss and he and Inge were great friends. I never got to meet Marianne but I am sure she was also a great person. Rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I have some nice photos and will send in for posting in the near future.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Smith (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:25 pm:  Edit

I was saddened to hear of Les' passing. He was my boss at Ft Richardson in the late 60s (I was MPI). Because of the things I learned under Les, I was able to pursue a career in federal law enforcement. I have fond memories of those days and the Army CID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:44 pm:  Edit

I served with Les at Ft. Benning 1973 and again in Germany when we were polygraph examiners. I thought a lot of Les and he was always willing to help another agent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:57 pm:  Edit

I'm saddened to hear of the passing of Les. While we never served with each other, we attended the CID Course together back when, and for the final month of the course, our families shared a rental home in Augusta. At the time, Sheila was knee high, and it was a fun experience being with Les and Inge. Les went on to build a solid reputation within our CID family, and we were able to keep in touch. After our retirements, it was always a pleasure to see them at the annual reunions, and years after Inge's passing we got to meet and enjoy the company of Marianne. Our sincerest condolences to his wonderful family, and may he rest in peace. .....Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary E. George (Gegeorge) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 10:12 am:  Edit

While I never had the opportunity to work with Les I enjoyed our interaction at some of our yearly meetings. His passing is a great loss and again we are confronted with our dwindling ranks of extraordinary individuals. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace my friend for you have earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 06:45 pm:  Edit

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Les Denk. As with C.E. I worked for Les in Nuernberg and he was one of the greatest supervisor's I have ever encountered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 06:01 pm:  Edit

The following Obituary was provided by Les Denk's daughter, Sheila.

CW4 Leslie J. Denk, U.S. Army (Ret.), was born February 13, 1930, in Turlock, CA, to the late Alex and Stella Verschelden Denk. He passed away March 7, 2010. He had retired from the U.S. Army CID after 30 years of service, which included tours in Germany, Korea and serving in the Vietnam War. He remained active in the military community by serving on the advisory committees for the Moncrief Army Hspital and the Ft Jackson, SC Commissary. He was very devoted to his family and is survived by his children, Sheila M. Denk of Columbia, Steven G. Denk of Portland, Ore., Susanne Mantooth and husband, Mike, of Wilmington, N.C., and Jackie Keating of Columbia; grandchildren, Michael Mantooth and Amanda Keating; great-grandchild, Wynn Mantooth; brother, Gene Denk of San Luis Obispo,CA; his sister, Pat Biasotti of Orangevale, CA. He was blessed to have been married to Ingeborg Denk and Marianne Guthridge Denk, both deceased. He was also blessed to have many people who loved him and the family would like to thank all those who helped care for him with such love. The funeral service will be held 1:30 p.m. Friday, March 12, 2010, at the Main Post Chapel on Ft. Jackson. Rosary will be recited 6 p.m. Thursday at Dunbar Funeral Home, Devine Street Chapel, with the family receiving friends until 8 p.m. The graveside service with full military honors will be held 9 AM, Thursday, April 22, 2010, at Arlington National Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Army Emergency Relief, 200 Stovall St., Alexandria, VA 22332 or Project Pet, P.O. Box 1777, Columbia, SC 29202

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 12:16 pm:  Edit

I agree with the previous posts. Les was one of the good guys and will be missed. He was always a joy to be around during our annual conferences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. E. Martin (Cemartin) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 08:38 am:  Edit

Bill is 100% correct. Les Denk was one of the great ones. I was the SAC at the Nuernberg RA when Les was the District Ops. Les had it together and was a pleasure to work for. We tipped many a beer in the basement bar. He will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William R. Ambrose (Bill_ambrose) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 06:01 am:  Edit

This one hit me hard. Les was one of the great ones. In 1981 when I was the Ops at Ft. Hood I called Fred Meine and told him I would like one more tour in Germany and wanted to know what Ops job would be open in the future. He mentioned Stuttgart, K-town and Nuernberg and I asked him who the Ops was at those locations and he told me that Les was the Ops at Nuernberg. At that point I told him to go no further, and that I wanted the job at Nuernberg because I knew if Les had been running the show I would be taking over an office with no problems, and I was right. He was one of CID's best and a very good friend. Steve and Sheila and Les will be in my prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 06:16 pm:  Edit

It is with heavy heart that I report the death of a very dear friend of more than 47 years, CW4 (Ret) Leslie J. Denk. He died at 1:00 AM, Sunday, 7 March 2010 at a Columbia, SC Hospice. Follow up details and his Obituary will be published as soon as it becomes available. Condolences may be sent to his son and daughter, Steve and Sheila Denk, at the address listed on page 33 of the 2009 Gold Book.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: