Fred W. Nall - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Fred W. Nall - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 09:47 am:  Edit

I don't know if Mr. Nall and I were related, but I was doing some research into my ancestors during the War Between the States. I found I had relatives named Nall and that they resided in Kentucky. One Nall was in the Union cavalry. Nall is not a real common name, and don't know how many there are in Kentucky, but I suspect I'm a distant relative of this gentleman, who I never met. (With my relatives residing in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri, I found relations on both sides. One relative rode with Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forest, while his brother joined the Union army, was captured, released, and prompty deserted. You never know what you will find. I recommend folks take the time to do the research. It is very rewarding.)
My condolences to the Nall family, as Mr Fred Nall, achieved much in his lifetime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 05:51 pm:  Edit

Fred W Nall died 28 January 2010 in Woodland Oaks Health Care Facility, Ashland, KY following a sudden illness. He was born 21 June 1919 in Island, KY to the late Ocie B and Grover Cleveland Nall. Mr Nall was a World War II veteran. He attended The Army School of Criminal Investigation, studied Civil Engineering through the International Correspondence School and graduated from the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisal at North Carolina State University. He served with the Army Corps of Engineers and the Army Criminal Investigation Division in Great Britain, France, Belgium and Germany.

He joined Ashland Oil Inc in 1941 at the Owensboro, KY, pipeline division, transferred to Ashland in 1957 and served in a variety of supervisory and management positions. He joined the coal division at Ashland Oil as Land Development Manager and was named Vice President of Ashland Coal in 1981. Upon retirement in 1985, his focus became the establishment of quality long term health care in the Ashland area community. His dedication to this vision was realized through the development of Woodland Oaks Health Care Facility in Ashland; Oakmont Manor in Flatwoods, KY; Middlesboro Health Care Facility in Middlesboro, KY; and Martin County Health Care Facility in Inez, KY.

He devoted much of his time and energy to his church and community. He was a past member of the Ashland Board of Education and the Advisory Board for Vocational Education in Kentucky Region 10. He was a member of the Board of Trustees for the Lexington Kentucky Theological Seminary. He was serving on the Board of Trustees for National City Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Foundation in Washington, D.C. and the University of Kentucky's Sanders Brown Center on Aging. Mr Nall joined the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Ashland in 1957 and has served as Deacon, Elder and Chairman of the Board. He also served as a member of the General Minister and President (Budget and Finance) Committee of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a member of the General Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada (1975-1978); 1st Vice Moderator, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in KY (1978-1980); and Moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in KY (1980-1982).

He is survived by his loving wife of 60 years, Mary Evelyn Nall; daughters, Darlene Young Nall of Nashville, TN, Sandra Nall Coburn of Orlando, FL, and Patti Nall Sanford of Ashland; granddaughters, Torri Leigh Sanford of Wilmington, NC, and Lynsey Elizabeth Coburn of Orlando, FL. He is also survived by his beloved pet Natasha. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Sanders Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, 800 South Limestone Street, Lexington, KY 40536. Condolences may be sent to www.steenfuneralhomes.com.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: