Raymond Dahle - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Raymond Dahle - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Peter_comras) on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:55 pm:  Edit

Another great SA gone to CID SA Heaven. Rest in Peace Ray, Peter L. Comras

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Yarnall (Yarnallpi) on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 05:24 pm:  Edit

I just noticed that a number of Mr. Dahle's awards / trophies are being auctioned off on ebay. They were from his tour in Korea in 1965, if anyone is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 11:54 pm:  Edit

Richard, thank you very much for posting this great tribute to a super great person, Ray Dahle. I had the privilege of serving with Ray at Camp Zama, Japan in 1957-58. We were ten months apart from being the same age, so it goes without saying we were youngsters 53 years ago.I last saw Ray at the Louisiana CIDAA meeting. What a real class act he and "BJ" were. Farewell my friend, rest in peace. Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:31 pm:  Edit

Yesterday I received a letter from Olaug Dahle Vastveit in Norway, the sister of Ray Dahle, who informed me that Ray passed away on December 14th, of an aggressive brain cancer. He was at his home in Plattsburgh, and surrounded by family. I first met Ray when he replaced me at the 19th CID in Uijongbu and I ITTd to Ansbach. After his 13 month tour, Ray ITTd to Nurnberg as Ops and I got to see him again. Ray was a terrific leader and investigator and had a great sense of humor. He told me he was born in Brooklyn of Norwegian parents, and they moved to Norway prior to the outbreak of WWII. Ray mentioned that as a young kid, he and his friends would cut the bottoms out of occupiers long johns, while they were hanging out to dry on the clothes line. Ray said that years subsequent to WWII he received his draft notice for the Norwegian army and duly informed the authorities that they couldn't draft him since he was a U.S. citizen. Said authorities informed Ray he had two options, and he selected option two and sailed for the U.S., where he joined the U.S. Army. After his Army retirement, Ray worked for U.S. Customs on the Plattsburgh border and later transferred up to Montreal, where he precleared passengers flying to the States. Ray spoke English, Norwegian, French and German. He was an avid skier and also volunteered countless hours as a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, patrolling and conducting boat safety inspections on Lake Camplain. Ray's lovely and delightful wife, "BJ" passed away several years ago. We last got to break bread with Ray at the annual CIDAA gathering in Metairie, Louisiana. He was a remarkable individual, well loved by family, and well liked by those who were privileged to know him. Be at peace, Ray. ....Dick and Mary Ann

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: