Earl V Burdette - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Earl V Burdette - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brauner (Bob) on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:12 pm:  Edit

Sorry I just read about Earl's passing. As Ray and the others have stated he was one of the best. We will missing him, but soon we will all see him again, not just now though...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elmer Miller (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 01:26 am:  Edit

I would be remiss if I didn't add that Earl, as attached PMI received his basic investigative training in the CID Larceny Squad under the supervision of Carlos E. KING. He was a quick learner and a great asset to the 86th CI Detachment, Ft Benning, GA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:19 pm:  Edit

Earl was an Agent's Agent!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reid Chave (Rjchave) on Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 05:00 pm:  Edit

Adding to the comments by Dick Greaves and Mike Pickering, I served with Earl at the then Stuttgart RA, 1973 – 1975, on my last assignment as SAC before retirement. Stuttgart was busy with a high case load, but we were so fortunate in having a really good group of agents. Earl, in addition to having assigned cases, was the full-time evidence custodian. In spite of the volume of evidence on hand, he always passed inspections by the field office and Second Region without noted errors.

In 1974, I was notified by Second Region that we needed to send an agent as part of a personal security detail to augment a visit by Secretary of Defense James Schelesinger to visit a remote airfield in Norway (U-2 site). Earl joined the team and found himself on the night watch outside the main door to the Secretary’s quarters. Sometime around 2AM, Mrs. Schelesinger opened the door and told Earl that the Secretary was working late, was hungry, and asked Earl if he could find something to eat. Due to the early morning hour, the remote location, sub-zero temperature, a mountain of snow and no open food service in sight, Earl called for another agent to take over the post. Earl quickly found a nearby Norwegian snack-bar. He was able to brew some coffee, and find a silver tray with white napkins—but not any food. Earl solved the problem by taking snacks from his own suitcase. He prepared some sardines on crackers and some other items, and presented Mrs. Schlesinger with the tray. Sometime later, Mrs. Schlesinger returned the tray to Earl and said how much her husband enjoyed the snacks—and would Earl please pass the Secretary’s compliments to the chef! Chef Burdette and I had a good laugh over that encounter, and it does show how a good CID agent, given the challenge, can “do what has to be done.”

Earl did not attend many CIDAA meetings, but he did serve on the audit committee for several years. I only saw Earl in uniform once, and noted the CIB, which I am sure he earned in Korea as a young soldier on the way to the MP Corps and CID. Earl was a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 11:39 am:  Edit

For all who knew and worked with Earl, he had a solid reputation as a terrific CID Agent and true professional. With a calm and methodical demeanor he got the job done and taught younger agents well. Rest in peace.
.....Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:03 am:  Edit

CW3 (Ret) Earl V. Burdette, Jr, of Grovetown, GA, passed away on Sunday, 25 November 2012 at Select Specialty Hospital. Memorial services will be held on Wednesday, 28 November 2012 at 2: PM in the Columbia Road Chapel of Elliott Sons Funeral Home. Interment will be private. Born in Capitol Heights, Maryland. He lived in various cities and countries before moving to the Augusta area in 1976. He retired after 29 years of service with the Army as an investigator with the Criminal Investigation Division. Earl enjoyed working in his yard and spending time with his family. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one sister. He is survived by his wife, Sonngard ("Sonja") Horak Burdette, children, Rodney (Sheree) Burdette, Lawrenceville, GA, Sheila (Robert Bob) Smith, Greenville, SC, Pam (Dennis) Thompson, Hephzibah, GA; sister, Mary Gibbs; grandchildren, Amber Burdette, Jason Thompson, Brandon Smith, Bryson Smith, Karl Burdette, Daniel Burdette, great grandchildren, Kensley Smith and Kason Smith. The family will receive friends at the funeral home after the service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:41 pm:  Edit

I served with Mr. Burdette in Stuttgart (circa 1974-76). Although I was not a close personal friend, in my humble opinion, he was not only a dedicated professional but a 'Gentlemen' first and foremost who treated all with respect.
My thoughts and prays go out to his wife, family and friends. Aloha Mr. Burdette...'A hui hou'! [Until we meet again]. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 04:12 pm:  Edit

CW3 (Ret) Earl Victor Burdette passed away in DDEAMC on 11/25/2012. Survivors include his wife, Sonja, at the home in Grovetown, GA.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: