Bill Ambrose - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Bill Ambrose - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Marshall (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:57 pm:  Edit

One of a kind! The world is a little bit less with his passing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald R. Allbright (Don) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 02:44 pm:  Edit

While I never knew Bill personally, like many others, I knew the name. He was always spoken of with high regard and admiration. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. E. Martin (Cemartin) on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:23 am:  Edit

I met Bill in 1970 when I was an apprentice agent at Ft Bliss, TX. He always took the time to help when I needed it. I remember when I made SP5, Bill tacked on my stripes. My arm is still sore! Bill was a respected member of the Detachment and a great friend. He will be missed. Rest in peace good friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 06:35 pm:  Edit

The Obit without having to go to the Link which someday may disappear or be removed:

William Randall Ambrose, of Spring Hill, Florida, died August 16, 2012, after a brief illness. He was 82.

Born in Beech Grove, Kentucky, on January 12, 1930, Bill was the only child of William Leon Ambrose and Maymee Elizabeth Walker Ambrose, both of Beech Grove.

Bill is survived by his wife of 33 years, Sam Hui Ambrose, of Spring Hill; son William Anthony Ambrose and wife Carol Ambrose, of Austin, Texas; son Michael Edward Ambrose and wife Helen E. "Hendle" Ambrose of Austin, Texas; daughter Rebecca Louise Ambrose, of Cedar Park, Texas; daughter Anna Lou Ambrose, of Atlanta, Georgia; grandsons Thomas M. Ambrose and Anthony J. Gonzales, of Austin and Cedar Park; step-grandaughter Sasha M. Willingham, husband Jimmie Willingham, and step-great-grandson Charles A. Clark, of Leander, Texas; and his devoted dog, Rocky.

Bill graduated from Beech Grove High School in 1948. He attended Bethel College in McKenzie, Tennessee, from 1948 to 1950. After military service in the 1950s, he enrolled in the University of Kentucky at Lexington in 1963, earning his bachelor's and master's degrees in physical education in 1965. He coached basketball, track, and other sports and taught biology and PE at Hondo High School, Hondo, New Mexico, from August 1965 till April 1968.

Bill enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in January 1951, serving in the Air Police and achieving the rank of Master Sergeant. He was discharged in 1960 and served in the USAF Reserves until April 1968, when he joined the U.S. Army. He served as a CID Special Agent for 22 years and was discharged in June 1990 as a CW4. Foreign tours of duty for Bill during his service time included England, Vietnam (1969-70), Germany, the Netherlands, and South Korea. He also had special assignments in China and Australia.

Bill's service decorations include more than a dozen medals and citations, including the Bronze Star, the Vietnam Service Medal, and the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm.

Following active duty service, Bill worked as a criminal defense investigator for the Defense Logistics Agency of the Department of Defense in Baltimore and Philadelphia till December 1994, finishing his career with 44 years of government service.

Bill and his family retired to Spring Hill, Florida, in 1997. He was active in his community and was an elder at Grace Presbyterian Church. Until the end of his life he remained in regular correspondence with many of his former service colleagues and extended family, all of whom will miss him greatly. The family extends special thanks to close friends Hank Jr. and Erica Williams, pillars of strength in Bill's and Sam Hui's time of need.
Above format slightly modified, and image added, by the webservant on 22 Aug 2012.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary E. George (Gegeorge) on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 06:03 pm:  Edit

Bill's obit can be found at http://www.turnerfuneralandcremation.com/obituaries/tribute.html?url=http://stei-23768.tributes.com/ show/William-R.-Ambrose-94313919

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Fenwick (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:51 am:  Edit

Like everyone else, I would like to express my sincere condolences to Sam Hui and the rest of the Ambrose family. My prayers are with you all. I can't think of anyone who ever had a bad word to say about Bill Ambrose. I had the honor of working with him in Korea for a couple of years before I retired. Those were some good times that I will never forget. Even though we were not as close as a lot of you who have posted messages here, I think we all feel a great loss in his passing. If there is any way that Heaven can be improved, he will find it and make it so. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 07:56 am:  Edit

Bill and I were in the CID Basic Course together. This was in the era when Colonel Tufts recruited enlisted OSI agents. They would transfer from the USAF and go right to the CID basic course. Bill was the ranking agent trainee in the class. I remember the kidding he took, because he was not familiar with Army acronyms. RIP Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leanne Heggen Eckstein (Leanne) on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 03:54 pm:  Edit

Sadly, the Thin Blue Line is even thinner now with this loss. Prayers for his family and friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John R. Mays (John_mays) on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 07:21 pm:  Edit

As all the others that served with and knew Bill, I am so very sad at the mews of his passing. He was a Great Friend and will be missed dearly. Our hearts go out to his Family at this time. John Mays

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary E. George (Gegeorge) on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 02:03 pm:  Edit

Bill and I first met some forty-five years ago during our stint in Ft. Knox, KY. To say we became very close friends over the years is an understatement; best friends is a more apt description but even that doesnít seem adequate. We were something more. We worked together, played together, laughed, cried, commiserated, argued, tried to drink our way though the Oktoberfest, vacationed together and did just about anything you can think of together at one time or other. Bill was honest as the day is long; a good Christian man; a leader and professional in every sense of the word. He was a quiet soft-spoken man unless you riled him up and even then he wasnít one to become angry or spiteful. His tone and just a look of irritation was all that was needed to get his point across. CID has been well served by having had Bill Ambrose in its ranks. The world is a lonelier place without him for he was indeed one of the special ones and his passing leaves a terrible void. Rest in peace my old friend. Youíve earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TC Jones (Tc) on Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 04:16 pm:  Edit

Another of the truly greats has passed on. Bill's wise counsel and mentorship was greatly valued by the many agents and some of us supervisors who had the opportunity to be its beneficiaries. My sincere condolences to Bill's family. Rest in peace, old friend. You have earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gor2413@cableone.net (Jbrock) on Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 08:05 am:  Edit

My sincere condolences to the Ambrose family. What a great person and Opns Officer. Wortked for Chief in Yongsan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 12:25 am:  Edit

I liked Bill a lot, and held him in very high esteem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan White (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:08 pm:  Edit

We have lost yet another great CID legend. My deepest condolences to all the members of the CID Family whose lives and careers were touched and made better by walking with Chief Ambrose. My thoughts and prayers to the Ambrose Family. Rest in Peace now Chief. You've earned it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Mullin (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:05 pm:  Edit

A true gentleman and a gentlemanly agent. The team suffers another great loss. RIP Chief

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur T Weaver (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 06:07 pm:  Edit

I am really sorry to hear of the passing of Mr. Ambrose. I never worked for him and only knew him from the IG Team. When I was the SAC at Wildflecken, he and I might add the entire IG Team inpspected the office. After the inspection, he had some very nice words to say about the RA. He was a very special person and was loved by all. RIP Chief and keep them straight up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 05:58 pm:  Edit

A very sad loss, Bill was a superior leader and mentor and was always ready to help anyone. RIP my friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 05:49 pm:  Edit

Really sorry to hear of Bill's passing. Condolences to the Ambrose family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Brown (John_brown) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 03:37 pm:  Edit

As I reflect on my life with the Army and CID, I know that one meets and gets to know very few men that they can call a true friend. There are many that we are assigned with and those we can call friends, but the ones that fall into the true friend category are few. They are the ones that had your back no matter what. I can count those folks on one hand and Bill Ambrose was a true friend.He would tell you when you were screw'n up (guess I can't say the word I had)and he kept many a young man from their own stupidity. The world was a better place with him in it and will be a little less so from now on. Goodbye my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dunaway (John_dunaway) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:59 pm:  Edit

My sincere condolences to Sam Hui and the entire Ambrose family. Bill was truly one of the greats. I was privileged to have worked for and with Bill. He was one of a kind and we are all the better for knowing him. Rest in Peace Chief.... Big John Dunaway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Busby (Bob_busby) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:04 pm:  Edit

Bill Ambrose was my OPS at Fort Hood Texas when I was there a brief time in 1982 to 1983. At the time I was having ills and spent most of my time in the Hood hospital, after my surgery Bill came by to see me several times to make sure I was recovering, Bill reminded me of an old Texas Rancher, he was a good man, my prayers go out to Bill's family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schnayerson (Dschnay) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 11:00 am:  Edit

He was my first OPS a great mentor and good friend. I will miss you Bill.
David Schnayerson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Bandy (Carl_bandy) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 10:44 pm:  Edit

Sincere condolences to the Ambrose family. RIP Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 07:17 pm:  Edit

ALL: Please post any further messages about the death of Bill Ambrose In the Death Section.

I sincerely apologize to General Jones. I accidentally lost your message Sir while I was transferring all of today's postings pertaining to Bill's death, from the Sickness and Hospitalization Thread, to the Death Notices. Would you please repost your message. I'm profoundly sorry for this inconvenience Sir.

My sincere condolences to Sam Hui and the entire Ambrose family. Bill and I were long time friends and daily E Mail corerrespondents for many, many years. He has suffered for a very long time, and fought a hard fight. May he now rest in peace.

Carl Craig, Forum Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 07:12 pm:  Edit

J.F. Vanover (Unregistered Guest)
Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:43 pm

This is really a sad day. Another bright light has gone out. God bless the "Chief" and his family. J. F. Vanover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 07:02 pm:  Edit

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 06:08 PM By Richard Greaves (Moved here by moderator)

We're so saddened to hear of Bill's passing. What a terrific individual he was, both professionally and as a great husband and father. May he rest in peace, and peace be with Sam Hui and the children. ....Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 06:56 pm:  Edit

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:06 PM by Richard Shook (Moved here by moderator)

Bill was my first partner in the early 70's at the K-Town RA and was my boss in the early 80's when he was the Opns in Nuernberg and I was in Bamberg. An agent could not have had a better mentor or friend. He will be truly missed by everyone who knew him. Rest in peace my friend.
Richard Shook

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 06:53 pm:  Edit

Posted By: Ray Kangas (Moved here by Moderator)

Can't find words to describe how much I admired, appreciated, and respected this man. Know I'm not alone in this regard. Just grateful for having had the opportunity to have walked beside Bill for awhile. My life is better for having done so. RIP my dear old comrade, save a place for me please. Ray Kangas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 06:49 pm:  Edit

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 10:35 AM by Gary George (Moved here by Forum Moderator)

Bill passed away this morning at 0858 in Brooksville, FL after suffering from a series of heart attacks. Please excuse the fact this is so short. I'm kind of numb. May he rest in peace.
GAry George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jen Redfern (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, August 17, 2012 - 11:22 pm:  Edit

What a sad day when we lost Bill Ambrose. A very special mentor for many agents at Ft Lewis in 1983-4. Bill was one of a kind, a legend maybe. I remember when John Levy and I were working a fraud case involving the manager of the NCO Club, Bill called one of his former CID bosses who was involved in the Khaki Mafia case in Viet Nam. What a great lesson in felony investigations when John and I sat down with this man and Bill to go over key events in the case. Bill has always held a special place in Tony's and my hearts as an agent of integrity, skill, and effective leadership. Several times we tried to get enough information from him to have him placed in the CID Agent Hall of Fame. He truly should have been there many years ago. Bill said he didnít need that. I remember when he was selected for Master Warrant. At that time there was no pay for what is now the rank of CW5. He would have been one of first CW5ís. He said he didn't need that either. Guess he is now in heaven with his beloved Sandy (dog) beaming with relief that he is finally free of aches and pains. Probably also enjoying some good laughs with other agents who went before him. Our prayers go out to his wife and children.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: