Theodore R. Handley - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Theodore R. Handley - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kert Bradford (Kmbrad) on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:02 pm:  Edit

I'm so sorry to hear that Ted passed away. We served and worked closely together at Ft Dix in the early 70s and as a young agent, he taught me a lot. His sense of humor and laughter always brightened the day and his guidance made me a better agent. I deeply regret his loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Hartman (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:29 pm:  Edit

Ted and I worked together at Ft Dix on several investigations. He will be greatly missed. We shared some wonderful times together both at work and sociably. Ted, Christa, Annemarie and I had a wonderful time together this year in Vegas. He will be greatly missed by all the fellow members of CIDAA and myself and my wife Annemarie. Ted, thank you for the wonderful times together, you will be missed my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 05:36 pm:  Edit

Obituary provided by the family as follows:

Theodore Roosevelt Handley Jr,79, passed away on 7 February 2009 just two weeks shy of his 80th birthday. At his side were his wife of 47 years, Maria "Chris"; and daughters Erika Rader-Hartz and Ursula Dieudonne.

Like the magnificent man he was named after, Theodore (Ted) was a giant of his time. Born on the 24th of February 1929 to Mildred Harrison–Jamison and Theodore Handley Sr, Ted was raised in Philadelphia and New York City. He attended Simon Gratz High School and Temple University High School.

Ted entered the US Army in March 1946. He was honorably discharged, however in 1954, he chose to re-enter the service. In 1973 he was again honorably discharged after having become one of the first African American Special Agents for the US Army Criminal Investigation Division.

Theodore Handley’s life was the more remarkable for its very humble beginnings. After the death of their father, Ted, Sylvan, Spencer, and Esther were co-raised by family and friends. Their mother Mildred maintained a small “beauty salon”. As the years passed the boys decided to enter military service. Convinced that they could pass as older than they were, over a period of three years they lied about their ages and successfully enlisted in various branches of the US military.

Although convinced he would inherit the earth, Ted realized excessive or hard work “was for suckers” and it might be better to get others to work for or with you. His ambitions became more elevated and he increased responsibilities by training, promotion and study. His military career spanned from Corporal to Special Agent, Yokohama to Seoul, and Germany to Fort Dix. Always a patriot, Ted received commendations, was a member of a pistol competition team, and served with honor and responsibility.

Along the way Ted was blessed, and some would say he was saved, through marriage to Maria "Chris" Hess. If it were not for her unquestionable love, strong-will, and WWII survivorship, Ted might have been history 47 years ago. Always nudging and guiding, Maria helped Ted to become the big-brother, the doting parent, the favorite uncle, the busy retiree, and the consummate grandfather.

From 1973 until another retirement in 1991 Ted worked for William Rorer Pharmaceuticals in Ft Washington, PA

Always the life of the party, Ted was a sharp dresser, had exceptional bearing, and loved to laugh deep and loud. He was quick and willing to advise, lend a helping hand – especially if he could give you directions on how to do something – or be there. Most of the family pictures and portraits were Ted’s doing and he loved working on his computer or playing with gadgets. Exceptionally active, sharp in mind and spirit, and contemporary in all things, Ted was a solid rock. Like his namesake – Theodore Roosevelt Handley was a giant of a man. Like his namesake, Theodore Roosevelt Handley will be remembered with numerous stories, exceptional laughter and commitments from many for always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 08:12 pm:  Edit

Never had the opportunity to have served with Ted but after growing to know him over the years, mainly thru our CIDAA Meetings, I wish that I could have. A true gentleman with fascinating experiences to relate (if you could draw them out of him), he was a hard man not to like (nay, admire). RIP, Ted, and well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 01:19 pm:  Edit

In Loving Memory of Theodore Handley there will be a memorial church service on Friday, 13 February 2009 at 11:00 AM, in the Main Chapel, 5240 New Jersey Avenue, Fort Dix, NJ 08640.

Immediately following the service there will be a brunch at Sebastian's Schnitzelhaus, 43 Fort Dix Street, Wrightstown, NJ 08562.

If you would like to follow us to the Chapel please arrive at the home, 30 Granite Ln, Willingboro, NJ, no later than 10:00 AM. When arriving at the main gate in Fort Dix, please have your Drivers License and Registration available for inspection. When entering the gate inform the guards that you are attending the Handley Service at the Chapel.
====
NOTE: a map was provided showing the route from the Philadelphia area to the Chapel. Please email me if you want that copied to you in an email. (CIDAA1@comcast.net)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Woods (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 05:39 am:  Edit

I, along with Bill and Ron, served with Ted in Korea, 1971. Ted was a true professional, and taught the young agents a lot. I enjoyed being around "teddy bear" as he was known by his peers. Ted will be missed, but is in a much better place. My condolences to his wife and family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald O. Oakes (Ron41) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 04:38 pm:  Edit

I also had the honor of serving with Ted in Korea. He was a fine man, great agent, and a good friend. He will be missed. My condolences go out to his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:41 pm:  Edit

What a sad loss. I was fortunate to have served with Ted at my first CID Office in ASCom, Korea in 1971. He was a great mentor in my early days in the program and I am sorry I did not see him Las Vegas last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 06:46 pm:  Edit

I am very saddened by this news. Over the years, Ted and I have communicated by e-mail on a regular basis, exchanging the usual jokes and other matters of mutual interests. I heard from him last week end. Ted and I go back a long way when I knew him in the Fifties at Yokohama, Japan. We always made time for one another at CIDAA meetings and Vegas was no exception. I echo the same sentiments as all others who have posted here; Ted will be sorely missed by me, personally, and by a great number of his many friends, at the annual CIDAA meetings. It was an honor and a privilege having known and associated with Ted over the years. CIDAA has lost another hard working member who contributed his personal time as former CIDAA Ways and Means Chairman and other ongoing service to CIDAA. Our sincere condolences to Chris and all family members. Carl and Hiroko Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:58 pm:  Edit

Very saddened to hear of Ted's passing. It was always a pleasure for many years to see Ted and Chris at the annual gatherings, and he also did an excellent job in handling the sale of CIDAA memorabilia. He was also quite adept at the poker table, as many of us have found out. A good man, husband, and family man gone too soon. Rest in peace, Ted. ....Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert C. Price (Alprice) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:46 pm:  Edit

Ted and I worked together at Fort Dix and recently was able to spend some time with him and his lovely wife at the reunion in Las Vegas. Goodbye my friend. Save a place up there for your fellow CID Agents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:35 pm:  Edit

Ted was a really nice person and it will be our loss not to have his company, his humor, and his sage advice at the CIDAA meetings. Perhaps Ted will be watching from a better place. RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julius A. Brain (Jabrain) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 03:58 pm:  Edit

I had the pleasure to have worked with Ted at Ft Dix many years ago. He was a true professional and respected by his peers. He served the CIDAA well and was a pleasure to socialize with at our annual meetings. He will be truly missed by my family and the CIDAA as a whole. I am sure he is in a better place now, but we would rather have had him with us!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:13 pm:  Edit

Retired CID/SA, SP7 Theodore R. "Ted" Handley had what appeared to be successful surgery on Tuesday but things went "downhill" the next day. He passed away in the hospital on Saturday, 7 February 2009. Condolences to Chris and family at the address on page 52 of the 2009 Gold Book. Additional information will be posted as soon as possible.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: