William C. Waninger - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): William C. Waninger - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:43 am:  Edit

Bill was a great one. I think he should join Vic Deavers in the CID Hall of Fame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest A. Perry (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:53 am:  Edit

There were legends of law men from the old west, but as far as modern day legends, Bill Waninger stands out with the best. CID was truly a part of his heart and there were few like him that could make a new agent completely at ease in his presence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brenda C. Roche (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 10:50 am:  Edit

Today, of all days (Veteran's Day), something drew me to the Web page for the CIDAA. I am very sad to hear about CSM Waninger passing. I admired him very much. I served with him at HQUSACIDC at the Nassif Building and he held many "coffee calls" with the other NCOs in the command. He was a great mentor to the female solders at a time when there weren't a lot of us. He truly cared about the NCOs. My last coversation with him was some months after he retired and went to the position at the Soldiers' Home. He told me that there really was life after CID and it sounds like he made the most of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. E. Martin (Cemartin) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 04:00 pm:  Edit

Mickey is certainly right. My head was elsewhere. Thanks Mickey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:16 am:  Edit

Be advised March 17th is Tuesday...not Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. E. Martin (Cemartin) on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:57 am:  Edit

I checked with Arlington National Cemetery regarding the ceremony for CSM Waninger. It is still at 3:00 pm, Wednesday, March 17. Attendees should arrive at the Administration Bldg at 2:30 pm for further information and directions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 08:09 am:  Edit

Found this information on Bill on the Retired MP Officer Magazine site:

CSM William C Waninger passed away on 4 January 2009. COL Pat Lowrey received the initial report from Jan Beese on 14 Jan that CSM Waninger has passed away. An initial death notice was in the Washington Post of 13 January 2009. The following details are from multiple sources including the CIDAA Homepage

CSM (Ret) William C Waninger passed away on 4 January 2009 from lymphoma cancer diagnosed in November, 2008. CSM Waninger was the first enlisted CID Agent granted permission to retain his CID MOS upon promotion to 1SG (E8). He was also the first CID Special Agent appointed as Command Sergeant Major, US Army CID Command. He was known throughout the MP Corps and The CID Command for his many contributions to people, the Army and the Nation. Inurnment with military honors will be held at Arlington National Cemetery at 3:00 pm, 17 March 2009. He is survived by his wife Gloria, his brother Alfred, children and grand children.

CSM Bill Waninger was known by many in our RMPO "Family." Our prayers go out to Mrs Gloria Waninger and her entire Family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Arthur (Ken_arthur) on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:52 pm:  Edit

Great Post Dick, I remember Bill in the same way as you do. Like you, I was one of the First 1SG in 2nd Region due to his & Mike Sealy's hard work & perseverance. He also gave me some great advice & counsel while he was the Community SGM in Heidelberg. A real professional, a great leader with the Troops always on his mind... He will be missed. God Bless !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Patrick (Cidsgmret) on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:17 am:  Edit

A sad day for the Army and USACIDC. I knew Bill while we were both assigned to 2nd Region and during his tour of duty at the Headquarters. Bill was instrumental in establishing the E-8 1SG positions at the Districts and Field Offices that had MSG E-8 assigned there. Mike Sealy who replaced Bill continued in this process and had them officially placed on the TDAs. While assigned as the USACIDC CSM, Bill ensured that he was on all E-8 and E-9 promotion boards to ensure that his non-commissioned officers were well represented and that the other senior NCOs on the board understood the mission and functions of the Chief, Investigative Support. Bill understood how the Army worked and ensured that he was a player in the Armyís NCO process. Many a time I was at his house for functions that had the Sergeant Major of the Army and other MACOM CSM present. Bill was instrumental in concerting the SGM E-9 positions in Korea and 3rd Region to CSM positions. I will never forget our trips to Berchesgarden for the 2nd Region Soldier of the Year event and of course our trips to the beer tent following the board. Only problem with having the board there was that the town was located at the bottom of a mountain and the hotel was located on the top of the mountain (after a few beers, it seemed like the Alps). The trail between the two was through the woods and uphill all the way. We were always dragging someone up the hill.

The Army and USACIDC were always in Billís heart and mind. He was a great teacher and leader of men. USACIDC was the recipient of many of the Soldiers he developed and now they occupy USACIDC leadership positions.

Believe that the following lines from a poem ďA Soldier Died TodayĒ by A. Lawrence Vancourt talks to Bill Wanniger.

He was getting old and paunchy,
And his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion,
Telling stories of the past.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
For ol'Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer,
For a Soldier died today.

He was just a common Soldier,
And his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us,
We may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict,
Then we find the Soldiers part,
Is to clean up all the troubles,
That the politicians start.

If we can not do him honor,
While he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage,
At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline,
In the paper that might say,
"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

Bill, save me a place at the table where you, Vic Deavers and Tom Smith are sitting and order me a beer. Hopefully the old gang from 2nd Region and the other agents and we served with in USACIDC that were known to us all will be together again when our time comes.

Your friend.

Dick Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Schmidt (Bernd_schmidt) on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:44 am:  Edit

I am sorry to hear about Bill's passing - one more of the Vietnam era originals is gone. We served together in several assignments both in Germany and at Command and he was always a professional, a great example for other enlisted agents to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brauner (Bob) on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:15 pm:  Edit

I remember SGM Waninger as if it were yesterday. I could not agree more than with CE Martin. Bill's advice to all of us in the field was always professional and on the money. He was a great soldier, leader and friend to all in USACIDC who knew him. We wish him eternal rest and the blessings of the Lord. He has risen indeed. Gloria, our prayers are with you and your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Marlow (Herbmarlow) on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:20 pm:  Edit

I was saddened when I heard of the passing of Bill Wanninger, and at such a young age of 67. He was a wonderful person and I will always remember the cookout he had at his home at the Old Soldiers Home, which Gen and Mrs. Cromartie also attended. My sincere condolences to Gloria and the family, Herb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:27 am:  Edit

Elfie and I knew Bill in Germany and can recall many happy times we spent together. I can only add to the other posts in saying what a nice person and professional soldier and CID agent he was. He was always ready to help and give sound advice. He was a good friend to have and to know. Bill will be missed. RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Allgood (Chuckoig) on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:06 am:  Edit

I am very sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I served with him at CID Command in the NASSIF Building, Falls Church. Bill was always seeking ways to improve the quality of life for the agents and support personnel assigned to the Command. I was fortunate to continue to interact with Bill after our retirements when he was the Security Officer for the Soldiers Home in D.C. While I was employed as an Assistant Director at the DoDIG Hotline, I called upon Bill for advice to resolve issues concerning the operations of the Soldiers Home and Bill was always willing to provide guidance.

Rest in Peace Bill, and thanks again for your friendship and assistance!

Chuck Allgood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HaroldHarry Hicks (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:57 am:  Edit

I just found out about Bill this morning. Bill was a good friend and mentor who helped me out in a time of need, as he did with a lot of members of the CID family. I did get a chance to spend some time with him and visit with him after retirement when he served as the Security Chief at the Soldiers Home. He was a good man and he will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:05 pm:  Edit

I served with Bill on three different assignments. I always respected his opinion and was thankful for the assistance he gave me. I'll miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:03 pm:  Edit

I first served with Bill in 1969 in Viet Nam and again in 1973-75 and with 3rd Region in 1980-81. He was a friend and we chatted often on AOL. I'll miss him and his wit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clarence E. Martin (Cemartin) on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:06 am:  Edit

I spoke with Gloria Waninger this morning. Bill was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer in November and was hospitalized a few times. He went back into the hospital for about a week around New Years, but never returned home before he passed. He wanted to keep the diagnosis as quiet as possible. Bill was cremated and will be given a full military ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery at 3:00 pm, March 17, 2009. This was the earliest possible date they could provide. Gloria would be grateful if any of Billís friends could attend. She is doing well under the circumstances and has family near-by. She appreciated the information being posted on our web site. Bill is listed in the CIDAA Gold Book should you want to call Gloria.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Clifford (Mjclifford) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:04 am:  Edit

Bill, may you rest in peace! You "did what had to be done" in supporting many of us who were challenged to do the right thing during our careers. For one of those, I thank you again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard W. Smith (Welfarecop) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:03 am:  Edit

What a loss. I was the CIS at Fort Bliss District in 1988. I was on the E-8 list, and had been on the list for about a year. I decided to retire from the army, put in my retirment papers, and received my retirement orders. Naturally, a month after I did this, my promotion to E-8 came through...which was revoked. On April 11, 1989, my daughter was involved in a serious traffic accident. While talking to the attending doctors at William Beaumont Hospital, I was told that she was going to need extensive treatment. That night, at 2200, I called my Sergeant Major, and explained the situattion to him. His words to me were..Smitty, go take care of your daughter. The next morning, SGM Waninger made a few phone calls. Not only were my retirement orders revoked, he also got my promotion to E-8 reinstated, and I got promoted a couple of months later. He was just sorry that he could not arrange the back pay for me. Bill Waninger was truly the epitomy of the CID Sergeant Major, and I always tried to emulate him in my duties as CIS. May God rest his soul. Richard W. Smith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:11 am:  Edit

I can only tell you that the information was relayed to me yesterday via a very round-about way. I received a forwarded email. I didn't print that and don't recall the original sender but it went from that member to Don Devaney to Bill Fitzpatrick and was forwarded to me by Mr Fitzpatrick. I too wish we had known sooner! I've asked over and over again that members notify me as soon as an MP/CID death is known...please do the right thing. Thanks, Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:21 am:  Edit

I found out about Bill's passing when Jan Beese called me last night. She had read the obituary in The Washington Post. When Bill retired, he moved to a nice big house on the Old Soldiers' Home campus, where he worked as the Chief of Police. I lost contact with him when he moved from the area - Easton, MD. Bill and I shared adjacent offices in the Command suite of the old CID HQ in the NASSIF building at Baileys Cross Roads, VA. Jan Beese sat right outside the door. CE's post is correct. Bill had many "firsts" in CID. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clarence E. Martin (Cemartin) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:11 am:  Edit

Bill was a great friend and mentor. Monty and I are truly saddened by his passing. Our days at Ft. Benning with Bill were some of the best of my career. For those of you who are not aware, Bill was one of the first, if not the first enlisted CID Agent allowed to retain the CID MOS after being promoted to E8. He was the first, I believe, Command Sergeant Major/CID Special Agent. Bill loved the CID and loved stirring the pot and having fun. We will miss him. CE and Monty Martin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CIDAA1 (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:35 pm:  Edit

CSM (Ret) William C Waninger passed away on 4 January 2009. Bill is survived by his wife, Gloria J Siravo Morrow Waninger, Easton, MD; a son, Dennis Waninger, Florida; step-children Sherry Farine of Kensington; James Morrow of Silver Spring; Matthew Lisowski of California; and Michael Lisowski of North Carolina. A brother, Alfred Waninger of Indiana also survives in addition to several step-grandchildren. Services will be held at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. Memorial donations may be made to a local favorite charity. Arrangements are by Fellows, Helfenbein, MD. The Newnam Funeral Home of Easton, MD, is in charge. Please go to the Washington Post to sign the guest book.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: