Marshall Thomas - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Marshall Thomas - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Frederick Sautter (Doc) on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 07:39 am:  Edit

A Mass in memory of Marshall Thomas was celebrated Monday,6 February at Our Lady of the Mountains Catholic Church in Jasper, GA. In attendance were Marshall's widow, Ms. Ann, their daughter Ms Vikki,son Stan and granchildren. Representing the CIDAA Atlanta Group were Jack Fay and Doc Sautter.

After the service, all atttended a luncheon at O'Charlies Restaurant in Canton, GA hosted by Jack Fay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Kuhn (Hkuhn) on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:04 pm:  Edit

I was indeed saddened to learn of
Marshall's passing. One could not
help but admire him. He will indeed
be missed by all who had the privilege
of knowing him. Our condolences to
Ann and the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:19 pm:  Edit

WOODSTOCK, GA - Marshall Thomas, 76, passed away Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 20, 2011, at his home in Woodstock. He was a caring husband, father, father-in-law, uncle, grandfather, a great friend and mentor, and we want to tell you about him.

He loved his family, reading, traveling, golf, gardening, BBQ-ing and, with son-in-law Ted, was on a quest for the perfect vodka. He encouraged all who knew him to never stop learning.

Marshall was born March 1, 1935 in Chicago, IL. He was in the military from 1953 to 1978, first in the U.S. Marine Corps and then in the U.S. Army, and served his country in both Korea and Vietnam.

His education included being a graduate of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Training Program, Los Angeles, CA; a graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, VA; a graduate of the Executive Development Program, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. He held a BS in Criminal Justice from the University of Nebraska at Omaha; and a Juris Doctor from Augusta Law School in Augusta, GA.

He was a member of the FBI National Academy Associates; the American Society for Industrial Security; the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and was a co-founder of the International Organization of Black Security Executives (IOBSE).

His work background was just as focused, and included being a Criminal Investigator and Polygraph Examiner for the U.S. Army, CID Command, with various assignments in the U.S., Europe and Asia; a Senior Faculty Member of the U.S. Army, Military Police School; Operations Manager, U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Command (CID); Director, Safety and Security at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL; Manager, Corporate Security Investigations at Motorola, Inc. Corp. Headquarters, Schaumberg, IL; Group Manager of Security, Motorola Government Electronics Group, Scottsdale, AZ; Director Corporate Security and Safety, The Travelers Companies, Hartford, CT; Manager of Security, Hughes Aircraft Company, El Segundo, CA.
How’s that for a Big Life? He taught his children and grandchildren by example, offered them opportunities for success, and encouraged them to be the best at all they put their hands to.

Marshall is survived by his always-and-forever wife, Ann; daughter and son-in-law Vikki and Ted Oshirak, grandchildren Stanley, Lucia and Teddy Oshirak of Canton; son and daughter-in-law Marshall D. and Stephanie Thomas, grandchildren Mackenzie and Montavious Thomas of Canton; nephew Benjamin H. Thomas III of Newnan, GA, and by many, many good friends.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Benjamin H. and Frances (Brown) Thomas, and by brothers Daniel and Arthur Thomas.

In honor of his military service to The United States, a ceremony will be held at Arlington National Cemetery, in the spring of 2012.

Any donations may be made in his memory to Toys For Tots, an organization that was dear to his heart through The United States Marine Corps. Semper Fi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph J. Blevins (Cidralph) on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:22 pm:  Edit

I am saddened to hear that Marshal passed. I met him as my Opns at Fort Sheridan FO in 1976 for a short time before I went to Germany and then returned in 1978 when he was looking for a retirement job. I got to see him at the Atlanta Meeting Dinner. God bless his loved ones. Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edwin R. Ward (Erward54) on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 01:09 pm:  Edit

I was saddened to read about Marshall's death. I met him in 1970 when he was assigned to the Ops Section, 9th MP Gp (CI) in K-town. We worked together until he was reassigned to the K-Town Det G. He was one of the most capable and effective men I have known. He and his family helped me to get through a tough period. I will always remember the great dinners cooked by Ann and listening to R&B music - Tina & Ike Turner - with Marshall. I will attend the Arlington service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:26 pm:  Edit

We are so saddened to hear of Marshall's passing. I first met Marshall when we attended the WOIC together in 1972, and it was great to meet Ann and see Marshall again at all the CIDAA gatherings over the years. An absolute solid and dedicated family man, CID Special Agent, and individual, very respected by all those who had the pleasure of knowing him. Rest in peace, and peace be with your family.
....Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Dedijer (Dedijer) on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 10:28 am:  Edit

Sadly, another of our brothers-in-arms has passed from out ranks. I, as many of us, will miss Marshall a lot. He was a fine and decent man. Hand salute old friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:06 am:  Edit

I'll miss Marshall, and I know those who were closer to him than I will miss him even more. Brilliant man. Strong personality. Strong character. Never stopped being a Marine. I really admired and respected him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Fay (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 01:47 pm:  Edit

Marshall was my partner at Saigon Port in 1966. On that day he and I became friends--a friendship that never faded. Marshall, Tom McGreevy, Allan Stein, Bill Dortch, Charlie Cooper, Doc Sautter and I met to eat lunch and tell war stories. Each year I was Marshall's guest at the Marine Corps Ball and the Marine Corps Dining In, and on the 4th of July he'd invite me to share barbecue with he and his family. (His wife, Ann, makes terrific potato salad). Marshall leaves behind Ann, his children Danny and Vikki, and too many grandchildren for me to remember their names. I miss him sorely and will remember him to the day I leave this planet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Peter_comras) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 03:42 pm:  Edit

I knew Marshall way back when. He was a great guy and Special Agent. Rest in Peace my friend,
Peter L. Comras

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 08:07 am:  Edit

3/1/1935 - 12/20/2011
Marshall Thomas,76,of of Woodstock, died December 20, 2011. Arrangements by South Care Cremation Society and Memorial Centers in Marietta, GA (770) 420-5557. No visitation service: No services. Condolences to the family at the address on page 90 of the 2011 Gold Book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles L. Ellis Jr (Chuck) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:11 pm:  Edit

I am very saddened at the passing of my long and dear friend Marshall. I first met Marshall in 1969. Marshall was the Operations Officer for Det G, 9th Mp Gp (CI) in Kaiserlautern. I was assigned to the Mainz Resident Agency. It was a very active office and Marshall was often there. As many recall those days in Europe were very challenging for CID. Marshall was a leader who could quickly sniff out any one not up to the tasks at hand. Over the years we became very close friends and we played many rounds of golf in many places. I shall miss him very much. I will be at Arlington National Cemetary to render my final salute to a man who was an absolute proven leader and friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Flanders (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:16 pm:  Edit

Never met or worked with Marshal during active duty, however, on numerous CIDAA meetings we would often talk about the Good Old Days. Always calm and mature about his approach to life, his sage advice at our CIDAA meetings will be surely missed by all who knew him. Sad news, another great individual gone but not forgotten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freeman Poole (F_poole) on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:29 pm:  Edit

I received a message from his Daughter that Marshal passed this afternoon.
He was a great supervisor and friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:10 pm:  Edit

I just received an email from Doc Sautter stating that Marshal Thomas passed away this afternoon. Can anyone verify this??

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: