Joe Sylivan Tafoya - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Joe Sylivan Tafoya - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C.E. Martin (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 04:54 pm:  Edit

I met Joe when I arrived at Ft Bliss after graduating from CID Basic in 1970. Joe was always ready to help this young agent. After he moved to the White Sands Resident Agency, my wife and I would visit. He was a graciouos host. He had a zest for life and enjoyed being a CID Agent. He will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Nichols (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:56 pm:  Edit

Joe was my partner at Fort Polk in 1967, and my off-post neighbor. (All housing was off-post then.) We shared an ugly pea-green Ford CID sedan. Joe was solid, mature, competent, and a good guy. I'm glad he had a good, interesting life after retirement in his native New Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 02:53 pm:  Edit

Joe Sylivan Tafoya, 77, retired chief warrant officer, died the morning of 26 July 2008, in Alamogordo, NM. He was born on 24 February 1931, in Clayton, NM to Maurice Tafoya and Virginia Hendren. After graduating Clayton High School, he entered the Air Force and served as a military policeman in Japan and Ohio. In August 1956 he became a special agent for the U S Air Force Office of Special Investigations and served in Madrid, Korea, Ohio, Texas and New Mexico. He then transferred to the Army Criminal Investigation Division in September 1966. He was chief of the American Division of CID from March 1968 to February 1969 (Chu-Lai-Run), where he was awarded the Bronze Star medal. He finally returned to serve in Washington, DC, Fort Bliss and White Sands Missile Range, where he retired in 1972. He ranched near Logan until 1978, then decided to attend school at the University of New Mexico. From 1981 to 1984 he was the chief of police in Espaņola. He then moved to Albuquerque until August 1990, when he returned to Logan. In 2005 he moved to Alamogordo to be closer to his children. He was preceded in death by his father and mother; brothers Jake and Sylvan; sisters Lucy and Linda; and son Nick. He is survived by two sons, Patrick and wife, Juli, of Austin, Texas; and Mike, of Alamogordo; two daughters, LeeAnn (Ann) Tafoya and Jackie Rizzuto and husband, David, of Tularosa; three grandsons, Joshua, Jerry Don Salazar and John Michael Dove; and two granddaughters, Madison Tafoya and Tracyann Edwards. He is also survived by one brother, Phillip Michael, of Logan; two sisters, Gertrude Chavez, of Las Cruces, and Terry Lavandowski, of Albuquerque; and numerous nieces and nephews. Rosary was recited at 7 PM 30 July 2008, at Our Lady of the Light Catholic Church in La Luz by Deacon Don Dickman. Funeral Mass was celebrated on 31 July 2008, in the church with Father Bruce Hausfeld, O.F.M., celebrant. Interment was on 1 August 2008, in Logan, NM

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: