Don Pettit - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Don Pettit - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laura Campbell (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:02 pm:  Edit

I knew Don as a student and later as a fellow faculty member of the Polygraph Insitute. Dr. Pettit was working on his PHD at the time. Dr. Pettit was a very dear friend of mine. He was very good to me while we were at the polygraph Institute. The Army, in it's usual logic, had PCS'd us to polgraph school to save some TDY bucks. Unfortunatley that meant several weeks of no car. Dr.Pettit took me anywhere I wanted to go without complaint. He was just an all around good guy and will be sorely missed. Condolences to his wife and children.

Entry Edited and moved to this thread by Moderator 11/06/08

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Blades (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 03:22 pm:  Edit

It was such a shock to hear about Don's death. I knew him for many years and knew he was a wonderful family man. Just reading through the names of the people who have responded to this incident show what type of a man Don was. I will say a prayer for him and his family and hope they get strength through God to deal with this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reggie Ray (Cdrrjr) on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:37 am:  Edit

Don was my first rater (Bamberg 1982). We shared many laughs and I remember him performing CPR on another soldier. RIP my brother...I will miss you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay A. Reyes (Jreyes) on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 05:51 pm:  Edit

I just learned of Don's passing, and like many of you, am devistated. I've known Don since we worked for Richard Shook at the Bamberg RA in 1982. I'm sure there were days that Don wasn't smiling, but I can't remember any. We stayed in touch over the years and like many, talked about getting together and playing some golf, but life and jobs seemed to always get in the way. I will miss him...I will miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Q. Allgood (Chuckoig) on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:11 pm:  Edit

I am saddened and shocked to hear of the passing of Don. I initially met Don in 1984 while we were attending courses at FLETC and he was a true professional. Over the following years our paths crossed on various assignments and Don was always dedicated to the mission. I will always remember his warm and out going personalty.

I will keep Don and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Don may you Rest In Peace my friend.

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRELL (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:02 pm:  Edit

It makes me heavy-hearted to hear that his daughter witnessed the senseless murder. My condolences go out to his family.RIP.I contacted Howie Maxcey and briefed him about the murder. Howie and I want to contribute to the college fund for Special Agent Pettit's daughters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:38 pm:  Edit

By: Carl Craig, CIDAA Forum Moderator, Sat 9 Aug 08. (Provied by AP Wire Service)

PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (AP) -- A charitable fund has been set up to assist the family of a slain federal agent who was shot in a parking lot outside a Pembroke Pines post office.

Contributions to the family of slain 52-year-old customs agent Donald Pettit can be made to:

Pettit Family Charitable Fund
P.O. Box 14010
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33302.

This fund was set up by the Law Firm of
Broad & Cassel
100 S.E. 3rd Avenue,
Suite 2700,
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33394
(954) 764-7060 main
(954) 761-8135 fax
Validated and published by Sun Sentinel News, Ft Lauderdale, FL

You can watch Don's Funeral Service;copy/paste data below into your browser.

http://video.syndication.msn.com/v/Legacy.aspx?mk=en-ap&g=ce73ea11-c82a-4ab6-9915-d3c965bf1a5d&f=FLMIH&fg=rss&partner=en-ap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:00 am:  Edit

It's never easy for those left behind, but when you lose someone so senselessly and unexpectedly we all feel the shock. May it help Don's loving family and friends to know that I, too, share their sorrow and stand with them in their time of need along with his other law enforcement brothers and sisters. RIP, Don, as you are now in the very best of hands!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:06 pm:  Edit

Notice of Memorial Service for Customs and Border Protection Special Agent Don Pettit
All actions will take place on Friday 8 August 2008 at the Broward Community College North Campus Omni Auditorium 1000 Coconut Creek Blvd, Coconut Creek, FL 33066
10:30 am – 11:30 am Family viewing
11:30 am – 12:30 pm Public viewing
12:30 pm Service will commence
3:00 pm Private Graveside Service – Restricted to family, friends and law enforcement. At 3:00 pm there will be a private burial with full military honors at the South Florida VA National Cemetery, located at 6501 S State Road 7, Lake Worth, Florida 33449. Please note that although this states that the services at the cemetery are private, this restriction applies to the public only… NOT law enforcement. ALL law enforcement is welcome and encouraged to attend.

Broward Sheriff’s Office Chaplain Braswell is coordinating the funeral arrangements.

In lieu of flowers, a college fund for SA Pettit’s daughters will be established. Information will be forthcoming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger R. Caron (Kegulee) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 01:02 pm:  Edit

Just spoke to John Lanting in the Dakotas and he and Penney would like for Don's family to know they are praying for them and they offer their most sincere condolences. John was also at Camp Casey when Don was a young MP....Roger R Caron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ambrose (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:19 am:  Edit

When Bill Arnone notified me yesterday morning of Don's murder it was very shocking news to me. Don worked for Dick Shook in my Bamberg office back in the early 80's when I was the Ops in Nuernberg. He was an outstanding Agent and a fine fellow to be around. I hope his family is able to recover from this tragedy. I am glad they caught the individual who did this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Arnone (Warnone) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:05 am:  Edit

A guest book has been set up at: http://www.legacy.com/GB2/SunSentinel/default.aspx?PersonId=114952973

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Rick Wistner (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:09 am:  Edit

The response by local, state and federal law enforcment agencies to the needless death of Donald Pettit was a prime example of coming together for one of our own. Unfortunately, it has happened too often here in South Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 02:00 am:  Edit

There has been an Official Arrest in Don Pettit's Murder. At 10:00 PM 6 Aug 08, the Penbroke Pines, FL, PD announced the arrest of a 65 year old white male, who lives near the crime scene. Authorities praised the accuracy of the sketch by Don's youngest daughter who was in the car with him as the key factor in producing the leads that led to the arrest of the suspect. What a terrible tragedy for his daughter to witness the shooting of her father, stemming from an act of road rage between him and the man who shot him, just a few minutes earlier!

Copy/Paste Channel 7 News in your browser for continuing updates. http://www1.wsvn.com/

Carl Craig - Forum Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony McAnally (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:14 pm:  Edit

I met Don when I was assigned as the CIC at Camp Casey and he came over from the MP Co. Don was a SP4 and sharp. Tonight I will take my walk and in the solitude of that endeavor I will tell God how special Don was.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:03 pm:  Edit

Don Pettit was as good a man as whom I ever had the priviledge of serving with. Bright, meticulous, conscientious, and caring, Don was a very difficult person not to like. He was truly a credit to the CID and his colleague's lives were enhanced for having known him. This is, indeed, a sad, sad, day for all of us. My heartfelt sympathy and condolences go out to the family and friends who are left to grieve the loss of this good man. May they find some comfort in knowing that Don was highly regarded by those of us whose lives he touched.

Rest in peace, Don, you gave your all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger R. Caron (Kegulee) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 07:40 pm:  Edit

Don was at the PMO Camp Casey and we often talked about him coming into the CID family....He was one of the good guys. Someone up there will take care of him. Our sincere condolences to his wife and children. Roger R. Caron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard D. Shook (Richshook) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 05:31 pm:  Edit

Don worked for me at the Bamberg RA in Germany in the early 80s. Great SA and a good guy. Do not ever recall him raising his voice. My prayers to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gill Lazenby (Gill_lazenby) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:19 pm:  Edit

I'm really upset over this. I recruited Don into CID way back when and helped him get his application in. The next time I saw him was on a PSD mission with the SecArmy and he was a WO. I sincerely hope his family and friends weather this ordeal they are going thru. It's such a tragedy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:10 pm:  Edit

The best Up-Dates for details and video can be seen by logging on to The Sun Sentinel Newspaper
at their website: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/
All details, videos and a plea from Don's wife
are there. You can also sign a Special Guest Book
for Don.

Further TV updates can be seen at South Florida Channel 7 News at: http://www1.wsvn.com/

(You can right click on both of these URL's and save them to your favorites and you will not have to log in to the website every time you wish to view updates)

While all of us continue to express our sympathies and condolences for Don and his family, we need to be ever mindful about specific investigative data being placed on this website. This portion of the website is PUBLIC. Please refrain from discussing any particulars of this ongoing investigation in this PUBLIC forum. I didn't have the honor and privilege of serving with Don Pettit, but I know that all of you who did, are better people today from having known and served with him! My deepest condolences, and may you rest in Peace Don. Carl Craig - Forum Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary E. George (Gegeorge) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:04 am:  Edit

This terrible news hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. I’m very angry that Don’s life has been cut short by such a despicable act. Don worked for me at Washington District where I found him to be an outstanding, dependable and extremely competent investigator. He was a well respected and cheerful individual who was ready, willing and able to go above and beyond what was necessary to accomplish his duties. I considered him a good friend and I watched his career develop over the years and took pride in his many achievements. This unbelievable atrocity has robbed us all of a good man and assaulted our individual beliefs that collectively we are essentially safe despite the rise in senseless violence we see every day. How dare this assailant should do this to such a good man; how dare he rob his family of their husband and father; how dare he rob the community of one of the good guys? My condolences and prayers go out to Don, his family, friends, associates and to the Law Enforcement Community in general who have collectively suffered this loss. Rest in peace my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:42 am:  Edit

This is to inform you that this morning, 4 August 2008, in Pembroke Pines Florida, while Don Pettit was at his local neighborhood, Post Office parking lot, an argument ensued, at which time an unidentified male shot Don in the head and killed him instantly. Don's daughter was present and sitting in the car at the time of the murder. There are over 200 agents and law enforcement officers investigating the crime as we speak. Please let all those who know Don to say a prayer for him and his family. I served with Don in PSD and was his best man for his wedding and a very close friend. We spent a lot of time together. I will surely miss him. You can go onto the Sun Sentinel newspaper web site or Channel 7 South Florida television station to keep up with the current status of the investigation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Crabtree (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:54 am:  Edit

This is a sad day. Don was a good friend and a great person. I was support on several missions Don led and we became friends. I remember when I was in Italy and Don was the polygraph examiner for the District. He came down for a visit and spent some time with me and my family. He had a magical touch with my children. I am sure his children must have adored him. What a tragic loss and a senseless crime. Goodbye my friend and may god bless your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Padre Squyres (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:10 pm:  Edit

I was shocked to hear about Don Pettit's murder. We worked together at the Walter Reed CID Office. He was a good agent and a good friend. RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Clifford (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:06 pm:  Edit

I saw the news coverage on FOX earlier today and never caught the name of the federal agent killed. I was greatly shocked and saddened when I read this thread. Don and I have been friends going back to the late 1970s. With the passage of time, people that you've known for years go their separate ways, especially when they are military friends. Never in a million years do you expect to read about their passing in a manner such as this. It is especially hard for me knowing that Don's daughter witnessed her father's death in such a manner.

There has to be more to this story. This is not the Don that I knew. The description here is not in the nature of the Don who I knew for so many years.

Don, rest in peace my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:05 am:  Edit

I want to give my deepest regrets to Don's family. What a senseless act. Along with Norm, we served at Protective Services, HQ, USACIDC with Don. He was a great guy and a good friend. Don you will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert W. Busby (Robert_busby) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:20 am:  Edit

Such a senseless act of violence, my prayers go out to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norm Weisenfluh (Norm) on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:21 am:  Edit

Something senseless like this makes me realize what a dangerous place it is we live in. Don was a good friend and often my partner. He was a genuinely nice guy who was as laid back as they come. We traveled the world together and he will be missed. We talked about a month ago about his new position and his excitement was obvious. Don was happy as he always was. I didn’t know Don’s new family except through his description. But his love and pride as a father and husband was clear. I know his ex Patsy, a wonderful lady and know that they remained friends and that this has to be a terrible blow to her as well.

Don, my friend, my brother, you will be missed and you and your family will be in my prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:32 pm:  Edit

PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. -- A U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent has died after he was shot outside a Pembroke Pines post office Tuesday morning, police said.The shooting happened at the South Florida Mail Processing Center located at Dykes Road and Pines Boulevard. According to police, the victim and another man got into a fight. That's when the gunman fired a shot and fled the scene.

The victim, who has not been identified, was rushed to Memorial Regional Hospital in critical condition, according to police spokesman Brian Davis. He died a short time later. No motive has been released, but the victim's daughter was reportedly with him when the shooting occurred, so it does not appear that he was on duty at the time. Police are searching for a silver or light-colored Chrysler 300 driven by a light-skinned man in his 40s or 50s. According to witnesses, the man was wearing a plaid shirt. A command post has been set up in the parking lot of the post office. Federal agents, police officers and BSO deputies have joined in the search for the shooter and the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry H.G. Mungle (Sheepdog) on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:18 pm:  Edit

On 5 August 2008, Don Pettit (Retired CID Agent) was murdered in a shooting at the Post Office in Miami, FL. Don was employed as a SA with the US Customs and Border Protection, Office of Internal Affairs, Polygraph Division (known as Credibility Assessment Divison CAD)Please say a prayer for Don and his family.

http://www.local10.com/news/17097598/detail.html
PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. -- A U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent is in
critical condition at Memorial Regional Hospital after he was shot
outside a Pembroke Pines post office Tuesday morning, police said.The
shooting happened at the South Florida Mail Processing Center located at
Dykes Road and Pines Boulevard.According to police, the victim and
another man got into a fight. That's when the gunman fired a shot and
fled the scene.
sponsor
<http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ibs.mia.news/national;kw=news+square+170
97598;ad=true;pgtype=detail;tile=6;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Laura A. Campbell DVM, Special Agent Retired (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 03:08 pm:  Edit

I am shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Don Petit as detailed in the new CIDAA newsletter. Don was a very good friend of mine. We went to polygraph shcool together although most of the time Don was holding up the wall with his head! I also worked with him at the polygraph Insitute where he was working on his Doctorate degree. Don was always there to help with anything or anybody that needed something to be done. When I was at polygraph school before my car got there from Germany he drove me everywhere I needed to go without complaint. The CID family is going to be missing a very fine Agent because of the loss of Dr. Don Pettit. I offer my condolonces to his wife and chidren.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: