Daniel W. Smith - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Daniel W. Smith - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Tom Simmons (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:00 pm:  Edit

So very sorry to hear of the passing of such a good man. I first met Dan in 1977 when I trained under him at USACIL and last saw him at the USACIL reunion last year. Our prayers go out to BJ and the family. Rest in Peace Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B.J. Smith (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:48 pm:  Edit

Tanya, Daniel and I would like to thank all of you for your expressions of sympathy on the loss of Dan. Those of you who know him know that he would say rejoice for me, I am with "My Jesus." He leaves a big hole in our lives, but we have been blessed to have him for so many years. Again thank you and as he would say, Keep the Son in your eyes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Richard Coupal (Gary_coupal) on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:04 pm:  Edit

Again, another friend gone! I'm heart broken to hear of Dan's passing! First met Dan back in the late 70's when he was at the Frankfurt Lab, and then of course he was the Chaplin while I was President of the Association. God bless and rest in peace Danny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Francis J. Myers (Frank_myers) on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 05:48 pm:  Edit

First met and served with Dan in the early 70's at Ft Carson, CO. Knew then that Dan was someone special. Was not at all suprised when he became the CIDAA Chaplin. He always said to "KEEP THE SON IN YOUR EYES". Well I know now that the SON is shining on him. Amy and I send prayers and thoughts to BJ and family. Rest in Peace brother Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 04:43 pm:  Edit

Tom, you're correct about Dan having numerous back problems. He had back surgeries even while on active duty. I believe that in recent years, he had developed heart problems. In addition to being a top notch Latent Print Examiner, he was the Training Officer for the Division for several years prior to his retirement. He did NOT go to the Questioned Documents Division. Dan was a good and faithful friend to all who met him. He will, indeed, be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Presley (Tom_presley) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:51 am:  Edit

For years Dan has had various medical problems, has been in and out of the hospital and seemed to recover rapidly. Yesterday I received an e-mail that Dan was in the hospital and being the survivor that he was I assumed that he would be up and about in no time. Shortly after advising B.J. of the receipt of her e-mail and get well wishes for Dan, we were informed that Dan did not make it and had passed after extensive suffering while awaiting back surgery. I first met Dan back in 1970-1971 in the Augsburg Field Office and I learned later that he had gone to the Lab, as I recall he was in the Fingerprint Div and later went into Documents. Dan will be missed as a fellow agent, friend, and Association Chaplain. Our prayers and thoughts go out to B.J. and the children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 09:26 am:  Edit

SMITH Daniel W. Smith Jr., age 64 and resident of Hammond, LA, passed away on Tuesday, July 22, 2008, at Lakeview Regional Medical Center. He entered the U.S. Army in 1964 and proudly served our country during the Vietnam War, having received numerous honors and medals. He retired after 20 years of active duty with the rank of chief warrant officer. After his military career, he enjoyed traveling to visit family and friends, volunteering his time as a missionary and prison chaplain, and cheering for his LSU Tigers. Daniel leaves behind his wife of 37 years, B.J. Smith of Hammond; daughter, Tanya Marie Smith of Jackson , MS; son, Major Daniel W. Smith III and his wife, Amy of Niceville, Florida; 4 grandchildren, Stephen Daniel, Kendall Jane, Tatum Cullen and Hunter Charles Smith. He is also survived by a sister, Margaret Jean Smith of Humble Texas; brother, Clifford Thomas Smith and his wife Kathy of North Richland Hills, Texas; and numerous nieces, nephews and extended family members. He was preceded in death by his parents, Daniel Sr. and Mary Cullen Smith. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral services at Trinity Baptist Church, in Pumpkin Center, on Friday, July 25 at 11:00 a.m., with visitation beginning at the church at 10:00 a.m. The family requests that visiting hours also be observed from the chapel of Brandon G. Thompson Funeral Home on Thursday, July 24, 2008 from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. Rev. Randy Davis will conduct the funeral services and interment, with full military honors, will follow in Trinity Baptist Church Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Trinity Baptist Church Building Fund and sent to 42062 Pumpkin Center Rd., Hammond, LA 70403. Condolences and other information available online at www.bgthompsonfuneralhome.com. Arrangements have been entrusted to Brandon G. Thompson Funeral Home of Hammond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 08:58 am:  Edit

Wow! Gonna miss Dan! Seems we keep losing the best of the best. Can't tell you how much Dan has inspired and lifted me with his belief in God, and his own good nature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 09:35 pm:  Edit

CWO (Ret) Daniel W Smith passed away today, 22 July 2008. Dan was a long time member of the CIDAA. He served as Chaplain in the Association. Please send condolences to his wife, BJ, and family at the address on page 134 of your 2008 Gold Books. Additional information will be published soon.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: