Howard W. Bates - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Howard W. Bates - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 02:39 pm:  Edit

I mysteriously received the below e mail information from person(s) unknown about the death of Howard's wife Ikuyo Bates. "Ikuyo was born on May 7, 1935 and passed away on Wednesday, June 16, 2010.Ikuyo was a resident of San Jose, California." I have many fond memories of Howard, Ikuyo and daughter Linda. My family and they served a full tour together in Tokyo in the mid sixties. I never knew that she died almost two years after Howard passed. Linda and Amanda, if it was either of you who sent me the e mail about Ikuyo's death, please contact me. Howard and Ikuyo rest in peace. Carl Craig - Forum Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Q. Allgood (Chuckoig) on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:09 am:  Edit

I am very sorry to hear of Howard's passing. I first met Howard in the early 70s in Korea. At the time I was assigned to the MP Detachment and over time Howard encouraged me to apply for CID. He was most helpful in providing information to me about the CID program and the application process.

Howard may you Rest in Peace my friend and thanks for your encouragement and mentorship.

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 08:51 am:  Edit

Didn't really "know" Howard, but he was a Legend I got to know from what many of you told in stories during my career. But I thoroughly enjoyed the inspirational interaction with him since retirement. He could inject life and fun into this website for us, as well. Really, Really miss him, already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter A. Dedijer (Dedijer) on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 06:58 pm:  Edit

I am very, very sorry to hear of Howard's passing. He was a fine man and will be missed. My condolences to Ikuyo, Linda and Amanda. Rest in Peace old friend. Pete Dedijer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger R. Caron (Kegulee) on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 01:44 pm:  Edit

Spoke with Howard about a year ago while in CA and plans to meet up with him did not come to fruition. I worked with him at the Presidio and I just loved the guy. May he rest in peace, he deserves it. Our sincere condolences to his family. Roger and Linda Caron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William G. Charest (Bill_charest) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:44 pm:  Edit

I have known and kept in contact with Howard Bates for the past 33 years. I was very saddened to hear of his passing, though I knew that he was having a tough time with the cancer from its onset. In spite of this problem, he kept an upbeat attitude and due to his innate ability to laugh with the best of them, retained his sense of humor through it all. A great friend and CID co-worker, I will miss him. Kasee's and my condolences go out to Linda and family. Rest in Peace, brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 06:08 pm:  Edit

I am so saddened to hear of Howie's passsing. I was so fortunate to have crossed paths and work with him over the years, and was especially pleased to see him again in Sacramento. Our sincerest condolences to his family, and rest in peace, Howie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:25 pm:  Edit

I met Howard Bates in May 1966 at Camp Drake, Tokyo, Japan. We were assigned to the 521st CID, Camp Zama, with duty in Tokyo. Howard had just made an intra-theater transfer from Vietnam and I had just arrived from Ft Jackson, SC. He was truly one of a kind. A team player, hard worker and always did what had to be done. We established a professional and personal friendship that has lasted over 42 years. Although we lived on opposite coasts after CID retirement, and second retirements, we always kept in touch and visited each other a couple of times over the years. We had a grand time at the CIDAA Reunion in in Sacramento. Howard had a long and excruciating battle with prostate cancer. I talked with him several times in the past few months by phone. Sadly, he called me on the 4th of July and I regret that I wasn't home to take his call. I made numerous attempts to call him back between the 4th and 8th of July to no avail. He had his cell phone with him at the Pala Alto VA Hospice, but often times he couldn't answer while receiving treatment or resting. I learned from Linda (his daughter) that he died on 9 July 08. Howard Bates was a very devoted husband and father. My sincerest condolences go out to his wife Ikuyo, Daughter Linda and Grand Daughter Amanda. Farewell Howard; You will always be in my fondest memories as one of the very best friends I have ever had! Rest in peace my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Padre Squyres (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:40 pm:  Edit

I first met Howard Bates in Korea in 1977. He was a true gentleman, a class act. He will be missed by his many friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter L. Comras (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:19 pm:  Edit

"Howie" Bates and I served together a few times and we often ran into each other while I was on TDY. He had a great reputation as a CID Agent. He was a real gentleman and a fun guy.

Rest in Peace Howie--you earned it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul J Esposito (Pjespo) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 09:03 am:  Edit

I am very sorry to hear about your father's passing. I had the priviledge of serving with your dad at Seventh Region in Korea during the late 70's. My condolences to you and your family for your loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Bates (Omarisan) on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 09:01 pm:  Edit

With much regret, on Wednesday, July 9, 2008, my father passed away at the Palo Alto Veteran's Hospice. Dad was scheduled to return to his home, in San Jose, the very same week, however, during the 4th of July weekend he took a turn for the worse. He was doing very well the previous week and arrangements were being made to prepare for his return home. Apparently, his organs began to shut down and his nerve damage from the cancer treatments accelerated rapidly. Tuesday morning he was aware of his surroundings and could communicate somewhat with my mother and I throughout the day. Approximately 9AM, the following morning, we received notification that he had passed away in his sleep.

Dad spoke of all of you often and enjoyed staying in touch with all of you. Since we are a very small family and the majority of his friends live so far away, we will not be having a service at this time.

Sincerely,
Linda (daughter), Ikuyo (wife), and Amanda (grand daughter)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: