James A. Squires - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): James A. Squires - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 08:56 pm:  Edit

James Alvin Squires was born 17 November 1931 to the union of Albert Alvin Squires and Sadie May (Clonts) Squires at Sullivan, MO. On the death of his grandfather, Eugene B Clonts, Jim resided with his grandmother, Nettie May (Blunt) Clonts at Sullivan, MO. Jim attended Sullivan High School and during his senior year, served as the student body president, graduating with the class of 1949. During high school and for almost 2 years after, Jim was first a part time employee and then a full time employee of the Forestry Division, Missouri Conservation Commission, at Sullivan, MO. Jim also served as a member of the Sullivan Volunteer Fire Department, attaining the rank of Lieutenant. In 1948, Jim joined the Missouri National Guard serving in Heavy Mortar Company, 138th Infantry Regiment, St Clair, MO. Also in 1948, Jim became a member at Sullivan Lodge 156, L.O.O.F. and remained a member until his death. Jim served the Lodge as a two term Noble Grand, for years was the Lodge Treasurer, Representative to the Grand Lodge, Representative to the Grand Encampment and Representative to the Patriarchs Militant, LO.O.F. In June 1950, Jim joined the U S Army and in October 1951, was assigned to the Military Police Corp, U S Army. Jim served in the Military Police in the U S, Korea, Japan and Germany. While stationed in Japan, on 15 March 15 1956, Jim married Chizuko (Ruby) Hanada. To this union three children were born: Eugene James, Richard Charles and Karen Deborah. In October 1962, Jim was assigned as a Special Agent, U S Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID). While in CID, Jim served in the U S, Japan, Okinawa and 2 tours in the Republic of Vietnam. Jim retired from the U S Army in November 1976, after attaining the rank of Chief Warrant Officer 4. During his years of service, Jim was awarded the Bronze Star Medal (2 awards), Joint Services Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good Conduct Medal (2 awards), National Defense Service Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster), United Nations Service Medal, Korean Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with one Silver Service Star, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm, Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal (2nd Class). After retirement from the U S Army, Jim continued on in civilian law enforcement. He was Chief of Police of Excelsior Springs, MO for nearly 4 years. Jim then came to Sullivan, MO as the first appointed Chief of Police. He retained that position for some 1 ˝ years then became a Deputy Sheriff, Crawford County, MO. Jim left that position and in December 1989 became a Deputy Sheriff in Franklin County, MO. In January 1993, Jim became Chief Deputy Sheriff, Crawford County, MO and remained in that position until his retirement in March, 1997. In March 1999, Jim returned to the Crawford County Sheriffs Department to complete an ongoing murder investigation. On completion of that investigation in 2001, Jim returned to retirement.

During retirement Jim and Ruby traveled extensively in their RV, visiting all the lower 48 states. Jim was elected to and served one term as Alderman, Ward II, City of Sullivan, MO. After retirement, Jim was elected to and served until his death, on the Board of Directors at the E911 for Crawford County, MO. Jim was a Charter Life Member of the Missouri Deputy Sheriff's Association. He was also, for many years, a member of American Legion Post 81, Bourbon MO and VFW Post 6479 of Steelville, MO. Jim was an avid fisherman and an upland game hunter. He greatly enjoyed many fishing trips with his good friend, George Dodson. A highlight of his later years was an annual pheasant hunting trip to Nebraska with his sons and good friend Charles Witt of Steelville, MO. Jim is survived by his beloved wife of 55 years, Ruby, of the home. Son Eugene and wife Lori of Atlanta, GA, son Richard and wife Petra of Tampa, FL, daughter Karen Foelsch and husband Paul Foelsch, of Iowa City, IA. Grandson Jeremy Richard Squires and wife Sarah of Independence, MO, grandson Kenneth James Squires of St Louis, MO, grandson Alexander James Squires of Atlanta, GA, granddaughter Marissa Akemi Foelsch of Iowa City, IA and great grandsons Owen and Daniel Squires of Independence, MO, other relatives and many friends.

Funeral services will be conducted at 10:00 AM. Tuesday, 9 August 2011 at the Southside Chapel of the Eaton Funeral Home, 301 Sappington Bridge Road, in Sullivan with interment following in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. Visitation for Jim Squires will be from 4:30 to 8:00 PM on Monday, 8 August 2011 at the Southside Chapel of the Eaton Funeral Home with an I.O.O.F. service at 7:00 PM and American Legion Service at 7:15 PM. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested memorials to I.O.O.F. #156, Sullivan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 09:19 am:  Edit

I am deeply saddened by the loss of a true friend of more than 45 years. I served with Jim in Tokyo, Japan from 1966 to 1969. Jim was SAC at the Camp Drake Sub Office.I served as the 521st CID Liaison Agent for the Tokyo area and maintained almost daily contact with Jim. Our families (young children then)interacted at outings and Picnics on a regular basis. We have
kept in touch since retirement at numerous CIDAA events and communicated on a regular basis by phone and E Mails. Ray Kangas describes Jim best. You were always acutely aware that Jim Squires was a very fair and just man; he said what he meant and meant what he said. I too am a better man, having walked beside him on many occasions, in our Active CID days and meeting Jim and Ruby at post retirement CIDAA gatherings. Rest in peace my friend. My sincerest condolences to Ruby, and all the Squires family. Carl Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Kangas (Cw5retray) on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 07:34 pm:  Edit

Jim was as solid as the Rock of Gibralter. You always knew where he stood and where you stood with him; and that was on the side of what is right. This world is a better place because Jim Squires was here and I am a better man for having walked beside him for awhile. My heartfelt condolences to Ruby, Lori, Eugene and Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 07:01 pm:  Edit

Jim has been a close and trusted friend for 37 years. I will miss him greatly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Jame Squires (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 04:12 pm:  Edit

Thank you for the kind posts regarding my Father CW4(Ret) SA James A. Squires...V/r
Eugene James Squires, Sgt Maj, USA Ret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 05:59 pm:  Edit

Very sorry to read of Jim's passing. He and I had crossed paths over our active duty years, and it was always a pleasure to see Jim and Ruby at the reunions we attended. He was a well respected pro, and possessed a great demeanor and sense of humor. Peace be with you. ....Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 01:17 pm:  Edit

CW4 (Ret) James A “Jim” Squires of Sullivan, MO, passed away 1 August 2011 at the age of 79. He is survived by his wife, Chizuko “Ruby”, of the family home; a daughter, Karen Squires Foelsch and husband Paul of Iowa City, IA; two sons, Gene Squires and wife Lori of McDonough, GA, and Richard Squires and wife Petra, of Tampa, FL.; four grandchildren, Jeremy, Kenneth, Alexander, and Marissa and two great-grandchildren, Owen and Daniel; a half brother, Mark Squires of WI, and a half sister, Joyce Bailey of MI; other relatives and many friends.

Funeral services will be conducted at 10:00 AM. Tuesday, 9 August 2011 at the Southside Chapel of the Eaton Funeral Home, 301 Sappington Bridge Road, in Sullivan with interment following in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. Visitation for Jim Squires will be from 4:30 to 8:00 PM on Monday, 8 August 2011 at the Southside Chapel of the Eaton Funeral Home with an I.O.O.F. service at 7:00 PM. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested memorials to I.O.O.F. #156, Sullivan, MO. Arrangements are under the care of the Eaton Funeral Home, Sullivan, MO. Jim’s memorial website is available at www.eatonfuneralhome.com where condolences may be sent to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 07:41 pm:  Edit

CWO (Ret) James A "Jim" Squires passed away on 31 July 2011. A follow up entry will be made as soon as possible. Condolences to his wife, Ruby, and family at the address on page 86 of your Gold Books.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: