Samuel T. Campbell, Jr. - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Samuel T. Campbell, Jr. - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bidwell (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:51 pm:  Edit

Does anyone remember the look Sam got on his face as he examined his nails and said, "What's your point"? No words describe this man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger R. Caron (Kegulee) on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 03:22 pm:  Edit

I am ever so sorry to hear of his passing.I worked with him @ the Presidio and had dinner with him, Jule and Nishimura on several occasions and we played golf together every Sunday. I am sure as soon as he got to Heaven he took charge. Our most sincere condolences to the entire family. Roger and Linda Caron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Jennings (Dmjennings) on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:05 pm:  Edit

I knew of Sam Campbell but only by reputation until I had the honor of meeting him during a get-together of the Southern Nevada CIDAA. LTC Campbell’s modesty and quiet strength personified the image of “an officer and a gentleman”. I wish that I had known him years ago but I am very grateful to have met him. He will be missed. Rest in peace, Sam, we have the watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Wright (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 08:00 pm:  Edit

Sam was a great guy and he and I often had long telephone conversations when he worked at 6th Region. We had several mutual friends and had some great stories to tell. Sam and I stayed in touch through e-mail long after we had both retired. A true gentleman, outstanding professional, and great friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jess D Todd (Jess_todd) on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 02:10 pm:  Edit

I can't add much to what has already been said about SAM except that we have lost another great one. I attended the CID school at Ft Gordon in 1954 and always remembered him as one of the favorite instructors. I again met up with him in Frankfurt in 63-65 when he headed the crime lab and I was in the Frankfurt office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. White (Danwhite1176) on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:40 pm:  Edit

We have lost another true MP/CID legend and American hero. I was very fortunate to have served two tours in Sixth Region USACIDC (78-81 Ft Huachuca RA, with temp assignments/extended field TDY's, one at Ft McAurthur BO in 78 and one at Ft Carson 79-80, and a tour at Ft Ord District 85-88) and was honored to have met and been mentored, guided and "inspected" by Sam Campbell. He always had a kind word when discussing a problem or "situation" and helping find the right solution. The number of Agents he helped and mentored, the careers he helped make and save, are many!! A true MP/CID legend and American hero now put to rest. Rest in Peace "Mr" Campbell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:55 pm:  Edit

I just received an e-mail from Dan White on Sam. I am deeply saddened by Sam's loss, he was a great man and I was fortunate enough to spend half my active duty CID career in the old 6th Region and had the pleasure of working with Sam. He was a great friend and mentor. I had the honor of being present during his induction to the CID Hall of Fame, and I could not think of a more deserving man. Sam will be dearly missed by all who had known him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Bosse (Mike_bosse) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 02:08 pm:  Edit

Received from CW5 (Ret) Rickey L. Sanders:

Mike: Can you pls forward this to the CID Agent's Assn for inclusion into the next Newsletter & posting to the CIDAA chat room? I would like the word to get out about Sam's passing, as he was well known & highly thought of by all of us (and there were MANY) in CID who served with him or were touched by him in some way. Sam served at 6th CID Group @ the Presidio of San Francisco for many years where I was fortunate to have been assigned from 76-79 (Fld Ofc) and 82-84 (Rgn HQ). Everything I know about conducting Inspections of CID offices I learned from Sam - as well as a million other tidbits concerning supervision and leadership.

He was a true legend and will be missed.

Thx/Rick

The formal obituary from his son, Sam Campbell, III:

LTC Samuel T. Campbell, Jr., USA (Ret.) passed away on April 19, 2008. Born in Philadelphia, PA on June 6, 1920, the eldest child of Samuel and Florence Campbell was raised with siblings June, Patricia, Robert, who all preceded him in death, and adopted sister Vera. He was graduated from Overbrook H.S. in 1938. In early 1942, like many young men of the Greatest Generation, the attack on Pearl Harbor prompted him to enlist in the U.S. Army. After basic training he was chosen as an Officer Candidate and, following OCS, was assigned to the Army Air Corp as a pilot cadet. Following what Sam described as “an unfortunate landing incident” he was reassigned to train other cadets on the Link Trainer. In 1943 he received orders to join an infantry regiment and was subsequently sent to southern California for training in preparation for shipment to North Africa. While on leave, he and a fellow 2nd Lt. went to the Hollywood Palladium where he met a beautiful young woman, Jule Van Schaack. “When our eyes first met,” Sam would say, “it was like electricity crackling across the dance floor.” For the duration of his training, he and Jule spent as much time together as possible, but the war took precedence. Following extensive desert combat training he received, in typical military fashion, orders to join the 25th Infantry Division in the jungles of the south Pacific. As the leader of a mortar platoon, he participated in many island campaigns, including the recapture of the Philippines, earned the Combat Infantry Badge and was awarded the Bronze Star with V device for valor in combat.

In late 1945 he was being prepared, like hundreds of thousands of other American soldiers, for the invasion of Okinawa when the war abruptly ended following the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. “We knew the Japanese would defend their homeland to the death,” Sam once said, “and we knew a great many of us were going to die trying to take it. We sure were glad that the war ended when it did. A lot of lives, American and Japanese, were saved.”

In September 1945 he was reassigned to the Military Police and sent to Japan as a member of the occupation force. He remained there until he was shipped home for discharge in early 1946. On April 16, 1946 he and Jule were married and he began a brief civilian career. But Sam missed military life and following the birth of their first child in 1947, he rejoined the Army.

As an officer in the Military Police, one of his first assignments was to Vienna, Austria, at the time a hotbed of espionage and intrigue. Sam came to be involved in many of these cases, the details of which he never divulged, even to family members.

After returning to the United States he was transferred to the Criminal Investigation Detachment (CID) and was assigned as the personal bodyguard, along with an FBI agent, for Dr. Werner Von Braun, a former German scientist who led the infant American rocket program that later became NASA.

In 1954 he was sent to the Military Police School at Camp Gordon, Georgia to be trained as a polygraph examiner. His instructors were so impressed with him that they arranged for his reassignment to the school as an instructor.

For the next several years he taught polygraph, interrogation, lock picking and a number of other subjects at the Military Police School.
Sam became a well-known figure in the CID and during his Army career enjoyed many interesting assignments, including that of Commanding Officer of the U.S. Army Crime Laboratory in Frankfurt, Germany, one of only three in the world, in the early 1960’s.

In July 1966, following more than 23 years of service, Sam retired from the U.S. Army at Fort Bragg, North Carolina with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Almost immediately, he was recruited by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and was sent to Saigon, Vietnam as the senior Law Enforcement advisor to the South Vietnamese National Police, where he served from 1966 to 1968.

Following a brief period of retirement, Sam and Jule moved from North Carolina to San Francisco, where he took a job as the Director of Security for the University of San Francisco.

But the Army soon recruited him back as a senior civilian supervisor with the 6th Region CID Headquarters at the Presidio of San Francisco, where he remained until his well-deserved, and final, retirement in 1985.

During the next few years, he and Jule traveled extensively. In 1992 they bought a home in Las Vegas, Nevada, where they enjoyed their later years together, still traveling and spending time with friends.

In 1999, LTC Campbell was proud to be chosen for induction into the CID Hall of Fame. At a ceremony at Fort Belvoir, VA, he was cited for the lasting influence his leadership, mentoring, and professionalism had on the CID.

In October 2007, Sam lost his lifelong partner, best friend and the love of his life, Jule. He is survived by his sister Vera of Pennsylvania, daughter Robin Ditto and son-in-law Dr. William Ditto of Gainesville, Florida, son Samuel Campbell and daughter-in-law Beth Campbell of San Diego, California, five grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and other extended family members and friends.

Sam had a special place in his heart for the CID and the lifelong friendships he made during his CID career.

A private family ceremony will be held. Sam requested a donation to the American Lung Association or American Cancer Society in lieu of flowers.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: