Dwight C. Bishop - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Dwight C. Bishop - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Moderator (Ccraig) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 03:21 pm:  Edit

Dwight and I served on the CIDAA Board of Directors for about twenty years. His presence and positive input at all annual membership meetings were of great benefit to CIDAA and the entire membership. My first contact with Dwight was a visit to the 21st CID in Kyoto, Japan in 1949. I echo John Dubois' sentiments completely.
I feel extremely honored to have known Dwight Bishop and he will be profoundly missed at future CIDAA functions. May he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:44 pm:  Edit

I can only echo what Gary has said, Dwight was a truly great person. He and Bernice have graced the CIDAA with their personas for a long period. Dwight will be missed by all of us who knew him and his delightful wife.

RIP my Friend!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Coupal (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:22 am:  Edit

I just returned from Athens, Greece and read about the passing of Dwight. Although I had never met Dwight while on active duty, I did get to know him through our work together in the Association. What a great guy and my life is richer for having known this icon of CID. God bless Bernice and the entire Bishop family. RIP Dwight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:16 am:  Edit

Dwight Bishop was a personification of "The Greatest Generation". The meetings of the Lone Star Chapter CID Agents Assn will not be the same without him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Wright (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:33 pm:  Edit

I just returned from the funeral of Dwight. As soon as I arrived I was informed that Bernice is in Scott and White Hospital. She has fluid around her heart and was taken by 911 last night.
There was a good turn out of retired agents at the funeral. The Lone Star Chapter CIDAA had quite a showing.
I met Dwight and Bernice the first time in 1964. I was assigned to the 720th MP BN at Fort Hood. At that time the 720th had their own CID cell commanded by CW4 John Mangan. The cell worked with the 43d MP Det (CI) and Dwight was an agent in that unit and eventually became the operations officer and OIC. We had a great bunch of criminal investigators (pre-SA). Unfortunately many of them have passed away - John Mangan, George Cain, Charlie McCan, Frank Shugar, Jesse Magee, Roy Young, Bruce Barratt, Harry Rushing, Emery Austin, Lindell Bishop, and Helen Van Nest, to name a few.
Dwight was a special person. He and Bernice always had time to help anyone that needed it. He loved to tell stories and loved attending the CIDAA reunions and seeing his old cronies.He never missed a meeting of the Lone Star Chapter unless health issues hindered him, or Bernice.
I will always be thankful for his sage advice, care and concern for my family, and his loyal friendship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.B. DuBois (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:12 pm:  Edit

I have known Dwight Bishop since early 1948 when he arrived in Kyoto, Japan and joined the 21st CID. His death comes as a shock. He was an individual who seemed indestuctible and a man who I thought would be around long after I was gone. Dwight was the only CID Agent from the early years that I have keep in touch with over the years. Except for a very short period in 1967 in Saigon the only time that we served together was in Japan during the 1940s. He was always a delight to be around. A good hard worker (and a party hardy type). I consider Bernice and Dwight two of my oldest friends. Years ago, when my son was married at Fort Hood, I was unable to attend, but Bernice and Dwight attended his wedding. Bernice, words cannot express my sadness. Dwight, old friend RIP. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hubert Marlow (Herb_marlow) on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:02 pm:  Edit

It is sad that so many good friends are leaving us. Dwight was a great person and friend and a Christian, so we know where he is now, may the Lord give comfort to Bernice and the rest of the family, he will defenitely be missed at our reunions, Herb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Wright (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:00 pm:  Edit

This is the obituary in the Killeen Daily Herald, 24 Feb. 2008.

Funeral services for retired Chief Warrant Officer-4 Dwight Bishop, 85, of Temple, formerly of Killeen, will be 11:30 a.m. Monday in the Pershing Park Baptist Church in Killeen. The Rev. Joda Weston will officiate. Burial with full military honors will follow in the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery in Killeen.

Bishop died Feb. 20, 2008, at his residence in Temple.

Bishop was born Nov. 7, 1922, in Maben, Miss., to Lee Martin and Laura Lee Bishop.

He married Mary Bernice Marlett on Jan. 2, 1943, in Natchez, Miss.

They had lived in Texas since 1957. He was a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He was an ex-prisoner of war.

Among the awards he received were the Purple Heart, Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster, Combat Infantry Badge, Victory Service Medal, African Theater Service Medal and European African Middle Eastern Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars; Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, first oak leaf cluster to Bronze Star Medal (Legion of Merit), Korea Service Medal with one Bronze Star.

He was a member of the Cen-Tex Chapter No. 1 of American Prisoners of War and Pershing Park Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon. He belonged to the Hoedowner's Square Dance Club-Golden Steppers Square Dance Club and the Camping Squares Dance Club. He also received Sunday School Teacher of the Year and Outstanding Probation Officer of the Year. He also loved to volunteer at the VA Hospital.

Survivors include his wife, Mary(Bernice)Bishop of Temple; sons, Dwight Henry Lee Bishop of Kempner, James Rodney Bishop of Austin and Larry Kratzenburg of Killeen; daughter, Laura Ellen Bishop of Morgan's Point; five grandchildren; and 16 great grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Pershing Park Building Fund, 1200 Old Farm-to-Market 440, Killeen, TX 76549.

Visitation will be Sunday afternoon from 3 to 5 p.m. at Crawford-Bowers Funeral Home in Killeen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Kuhn (Hkuhn) on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:54 pm:  Edit

It was with sadness that I learned of Dwight
Bishop's passing. I served with him in Vietnam
'66-'67 and had the pleasure of seeing him through the years at CIDAA get togethers. He
enjoyed an impeccable reputation both in CID and
in CIDAA. He will be missed. RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:09 pm:  Edit

Another CID Icon gone. Really gonna miss Dwight. He remains a true inspiration and a friend to many of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Wright (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:50 pm:  Edit

This was in the Killeen Daily Herald today -

Services for Dwight C. Bishop, 85, of Killeen, are pending with Crawford-Bowers Funeral Home in Killeen.

He died Feb. 20, 2008, in Temple.

I have no further information at this time. I will post more when I get it. I have lost a dear friend, mentor, and a man I loved like a Father.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: