Richard Slisz - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Richard Slisz - RIP
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John M. Clark (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 03:28 pm:  Edit

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with Dick in Alaska, both at Fort Richardson and Fort Wainwright, during the period that I was there between 1971 and 1977. Dick was a true professional whose sound counsel was often sought and freely given. I reconnected with Dick very briefly prior to his death when I learned his contact info through CIDAA. It was a joy to "talk" to him again, but little did I know at that time that his time with us thereafter would be short-lived. I also knew Dick's beautiful family...his daughters were very young at the time. Dick has been sorely missed, and always will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Polly Slisz (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:43 pm:  Edit

On behalf of my mother, sister and myself, I would like to extend our sincere gratitude and thanks for all the support my father received as a result of the post I made on the CIDAA website last fall. As his illness progressed through the final stage he received so many phone calls, letters, cards and e-mails offering support from so many people. Every day I went to see my father not a day seemed to pass where he did not say, "Do you know who I heard from today?" This support was priceless and I could tell my father was so proud to be associated with so many great and honorable people. Everyone can take pride in knowing they helped ease the last, most difficult part of my father's journey. We will be eternally grateful to you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:55 pm:  Edit

I was sorry to hear about Dick Slisz' passing. I was at Ft Lewis when Dick was the 6th Rgn Polygraph Coordinator. He was never too busy to answer a polygraph question from a junior agent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:13 pm:  Edit

I am truely saddened to hear of Dick's passing. I too had the pleasure of serving with Dick over the years. My best wishes to his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Q. Allgood (Chuckoig) on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 02:10 pm:  Edit

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Dick Sliz. Dick was the Polygraph examiner for the Alaska Field Office when I was assigned to the Ft Wainwright RA 76-79. He would often travel to the RA and conduct exams and he was a great examiner and a very fine person. You could always learn something different from observing his interview techniques. Dick my friend rest in peace.

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Moderator (Ccraig) on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 05:49 pm:  Edit

I was honored to have known and served with Richard in the 19th CID, Uijongbu, Korea in 1964.
We were fortunate to cross paths many years later at CIDAA meetings. He has suffered immensely. May he rest in peace. My sincerest condolences to Rosemary and family. I have appended his Obituary. Carl-Forum Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard Waldemere Slisz
November 4, 1942 – January 15, 2008

Long time Alaskan Richard (Dick) Slisz died at home after a 5 1/2 year battle with cancer with his family at his side.

Dick was born on November 4, 1942 to Waldemere and Mary Ann (Szczerba) Slisz in Detroit Michigan. After graduating in 1960 from Cass Technical High School in Detroit, Dick joined the Army as a Military Policeman and 2 ½ years later became a Special Agent with the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division serving until his retirement with 20 years of active duty with the rank of CW4. Mr. Slisz was stationed in Korea, KY, MI, Okinawa, Viet Nam, CO, AK and CA. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War; his awards included the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star.

Upon retirement from the Army in 1980 Mr. Slisz brought his family to Anchorage and established a private practice as a polygraph examiner providing exams for attorneys throughout the State of Alaska. In 1989 he became an investigator for of the State of Alaska, Division of Occupational Licensing until retirement in 2002.

In February, 1964 Richard married Rosemary Musial in Birch Run, Michigan and they had two daughters, Pauline born in Detroit and Rachael born in Okinawa.

Dick enjoyed fishing on his boat the Diogenes docked in Seward and sitting around the campfire telling stories with family and friends. He also enjoyed history, his pets and watching FOX News and letting everyone know his political opinions. He was a member of CIDAA (Criminal Investigation Division Agents Association), the NRA, and the American Legion, Seward Post.

He leaves behind his wife of 43 years Rosemary Slisz and daughter Pauline (Polly) Slisz and her friend Louis Hebert, and daughter Rachael Slisz all of Anchorage. Brothers-in-law Stanley Musial (Gloria) and Richard Musial (Sue) of Michigan and nephew and nieces of Michigan, NC and LA. An uncle, Ed Sieja in Texas and cousins in Texas, California and Michigan.

Mr. Slisz was preceded in death by his parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles of Michigan and Texas and his fishing partner of 30 years Frank Gatlin.

In lieu of flowers donations are requested to the Hospice of Anchorage, 500 W. Int’l Airport Road, Suite C, Anchorage, AK 99518. Special thanks go to Jan of Hospice and friends and neighbors who supported the family during this difficult time.

A memorial service will take place at Evergreen Memorial Chapel on Friday January 18, 2008 at 11:30 am with military services at Fort Richardson National Cemetery at 1:30 pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Stein (Allans35) on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:28 pm:  Edit

I'm very sorry to hear of Dick's passing. He put up the courageous fight. I was also a classmate of Dick's at the CID school. My sympathy to his family. We all have lost a friend that will be remembered with fondness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:20 pm:  Edit

Rest in Peace Dick! We have been friends since CID School in 1963, and even traveled together to Hawaii on vacation a few years ago. One quality guy who will be missed by a lot of folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Greaves (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 05:32 pm:  Edit

We were very saddened to hear of Dick's passing, and over the years always enjoyed being in touch with him, and seeing him at some of the annual meetings. Finally got to meet his delightful wife, Rosemary when they attended at Traverse City. First met Dick in the mid '60's in Korea, and he was definitely a doer, and an excellent CID Agent, and with a great sense of humor. His notes towards the end showed his courage, and also how much he cared about others. God bless him, rest in peace, and our sympathies to Resemary and their family. Dick and Mary Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Matthews (C_matthews) on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:29 am:  Edit

My good friend Richard (Dick) W. Slisz, died about 1:35 PM, January 15, 2008. Dick was truly an honorable man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert H. Tucker (Bob_tucker) on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 05:02 pm:  Edit

When I found I was diagnosd the first person to contact me and give me encouragement was Dick. Little did I know that he is worse off than I. Good luck Dick you're a great guy.

Bob Tucker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOE VAUGHT (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 02:32 pm:  Edit

Dick, Thanks for all your help in RVN. My thoughts are with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan White (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:42 am:  Edit

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:26 am:
To: Polly Slisz:
For some reason, the above message was posted without my name and there are several "Dan's" in CID. I just wanted to properly post and let you know that I am thinking of you Dick and do wish you the very best my friend. You're a good man, a good friend to many, you've always done the right thing, mentored many and touched more in a good way. Thanks for the memories. God Bless!!
Dan White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:17 pm:  Edit

I too was in that CI Class #2, in 1963, with Dick Slisz. He and I have remained friends over these many years. My wife Betty ( a cancer patient for over 40 years) and I have kept Dick, Rosemary, and their daughters in our prayers for many years, and we will continue. Dick is a gentleman of the first order. Al Stein, you forgot PFC Larry Deatherage as being the lowest ranking man in our class. Dick was a SP3. God Bless you Dick and may he keep you pain free!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:31 am:  Edit

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:26 am: -To Polly Slisz:

For some reason my full name did not appear on that posting to Dick and his daughter.

Dick -- Thanks for the memories old friend!!

Dan White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jearl E. Ballow (Je_buck_ballow) on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:51 pm:  Edit

Dick: You were one of that great group that made the tour in Okinawa enjoyable. And, if you ever need someone to baby sit that giant Bassett hound again just let me know. Take good care Dick we are all marching along in step with you. Buck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.E. Buck Ballow (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 02:33 pm:  Edit

Dick: You and Rosemary made the tour in Okinawa very enjoyable and any time you need someone to dog sit that huge bassett hound just call on me. I also considered you one of the finest amongst that great group we had on the Rock. Buck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAN WHITE (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:05 pm:  Edit

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:26 am:
To Polly Slisz)
For some unknown reason, my name did not appear on the above date and time posting. Dick, that posting is from me -- "Danno." Thanks for the good times and memories. It has been my honor! See ya my friend! Dan White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Moderator (Ccraig) on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 05:15 pm:  Edit

On Saturday, 20 Oct 07, Dick sent many of you a personal message, inclusive of myself. Dick is now at home. Those of you who know Richard Slisz are keenly aware that you are very privileged to have been associated with a wonderful and compassionate human being and a very exceptionally talented and hard working CID Agent and Warrant Officer. I am in awe that he can muster up the courage to send us his "farewell message" in such a calm and casual manner. The following are Richard's own words, to all his CID friends. He said he was not feeling well enough to post this himself, and I am honored to do so in his behalf. Farewell my friend. Carl Craig '
See Dick's Message below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"As some of you have heard already, I spent last Wednesday night in the hospital where they unsuccessfully attempted to place some stints in the ducts in my liver. They were unable to do so because of the tumors. The final line is that I am most probably down to the last few weeks of my life. My skin has already taken on a very unhealthy yellowish hue. My main reason for writing this note is to thank each and everyone of you for being my friends over the years, before I am unable to do so. The inspirational notes, letters of support, and jokes over the past five years has definitely added to the quality of life. I have experienced many blessings in life to include having a loving wife and two wonderful dauughters. Professionally, I have also experienced rewarding careers, but none more so than my 17 1/2 years in CID, where I was able to work and walk daily amongst men whom I consider to this date to be moral giants. To be sure, we had a few bad apples over the years, but they were normally weeded out rather quickly. Again, thank you for being my friends. Until we meet again. Dick "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry McClung (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 01:39 pm:  Edit

Dick was a CID classmate of mine in 1963 and we served together with the 1st Cav CID Detachment in 1964-65. I remember Dick as a bright and agressive investigator and a fierce friend. Last time I saw Dick was when he stopped by Det D, 8th MP Group (CI) in Saigon. Was sorry to learn of his struggle with this disease but know he is facing it with dignity and faith. My prayers are with you Dick, and with your family. God bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:26 am:  Edit

To Polly Slisz: You tell your Dad that his CID Family is wishing him well with prayers, good thoughts and remembering the "fond good old days!" Dick and I had some great talks and fun times when he would "pass through" on IG inspections of my DSTs at different locations. I was always honored when he would step into my office and say "I needed this break -- inspecting your DST!!" Dick is truly one of the good guys who always did the right thing, treated everyone with respect, had a kind word to share, would lead by example, and knew the true meaning of friendship! Lets all keep Dick and his family in our thoughts, our hearts and our prayers. Wishing you well Dick -- you're a good man and a good friend!! Dan White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Stein (Allans35) on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:15 am:  Edit

Dick and I were CID basic course classmates. As I recall, he was the youngest student in the class, as well as being the lowest ranking person selected for the class. That in itself suggests something about his character, as well as his intelligence. Dick had a lot of enthusiasm and it was enjoyable having him as a classmate. For some reason, some class members must have figured he looked something like me, but everyone knows that I was, and am better looking. Maybe we shared the character and intelligence characteristics. (Is that redundant?) I and some of his other classmates have communicated with Dick via email in recent years, and his courage and good humor are an inspiration to all of us. Dick, you and your family are in my prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Youngblood (Rvyblood) on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:52 am:  Edit

Dick was my SAC at the Neu Ulm RA during the last part of my tour there in 1980. He was a friend and an excellent SAC. Good to work with and for him. It is so heart-breaking to hear of his battle with this terrible disease. Too many of the best folk this country has been blessed with have left us already. My heart and prayers are with Dick and his family at this time. God willing, Dick can rally from this. Hope so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Moderator (Ccraig) on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:09 pm:  Edit

Posted by Polly Slisz (Richard's daughter)
Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 03:01 am
I am writing this for my dad who is in the hospital tonight. It looks like his long battle with cancer may soon come to an end. We'll know more tomorrow, but in the meantime, I am sure he would love to hear from his CID friends. Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will post follow up data when available. Served with Richard, 19th CID,Korea, 1964. Please remember Richard and Rosemary and family in your prayers. Listed Page 130, current Gold Book. Carl - Moderator

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: