Rex Andrew Smith - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Rex Andrew Smith - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Craig - Forum Moderator (Ccraig) on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:57 am:  Edit

I had the distinct pleasure of knowing LTC Smith
(Then a very young recently promoted Major), CO of the 23rd CID, and 101st CID in Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan. Both units were deactivated and redesignated the 51st CID. He came to Japan from Korea on an Intra-Theater transfer to complete his Far East tour. He loved CID with a passion and as a commander had a firm grip on all CID matters under his command. He was known and revered as a special mentor to Enlisted CID Agents; obviously reflecting on his own ventures from his years in the enlisted ranks. His mere presence and always pleasing and kind demeanor commanded the great respect that he deserved. May he ever rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 07:04 am:  Edit

What an amazing person!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 12:29 pm:  Edit

Folks, before his death, LTC Smith wanted to say goodbye to his many MPC/CID friends. I should probably have posted his message at that time. In retrospect here it is:

DEAR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS: For those of you that don’t already know, I developed cancer in September of last year, and after over 3 months of radiation treatments, I decided to enter hospice in January of this year.

How long I have is anyone's guess. It could be three months to 10 years, depending on the growth of the cancer. I have it in the right lung, 5th vertebrae in the back and in a bone in my groin. I am in no pain, as it is managed pretty well by Hospice. I am still somewhat mobile, though somewhat wobbly. My eyesight is terrible due to macular disease. In other words, I’m a “rambling wreck”.

I notified only relatives and close friends at first. Now I think it is time to notify everyone. I lost my lovely wife Jean 6 years ago to lung cancer at age 77. Now it is my time at age 89. To tell you the truth, I don’t want to live to 90 under these circumstances. If I was 60 or less, I would feel it is worth fighting for. But at this time, I honestly feel that I have lived a long and fruitful life, with no regrets. I had a wonderful marriage of 58 years and wonderful wife and son, so I can die with dignity and my head held high. If I had it to do over again, I would not change a thing. I had a great military career, and to my knowledge, I am the only person ever to enlist in the US Army at age 14, and retire as a Lt Colonel at age 40 with 26 years service. I was in Hawaii at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, landed on Utah Beach in Normandy, France at 7:30 AM on D-Day, then traveled through France, Belgium, Germany and was in Austria at war’s end. I served in Korea and Japan, and at the start up of Vietnam before retiring on 1 August 1962.

So, don’t worry about me old friends, as I am ready to go on to that other place, hopefully where my wife is. Then some day we can return to the place we left to find it in better shape than now. We will either be rich or poor, white or black, or some other color, or maybe a dog or cat that someone can kick around. Anyway, it was good to have known you, and I wish you all the best during the time you have left. Meantime, tell your wife and kids everyday that you love them, and do that something extra around the house to help out. You will never regret it. So goodbye for now my dear friends. Some day we will meet and have another drink together. Rex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louise "Mickey" Head (Cidaa1) on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 10:57 am:  Edit

LTC Rex Andrew Smith died on 27 February 2011 at his home in Belmont Country Club, Ashburn, VA of multiple (34) disorders. The final diagnosis, in September 2010, of stage four lung cancer was the last ailment he could not overcome. Rex was predeceased by his wife, Jean Elizabeth, of 57 years of marriage in March of 2004. Rex was cared for by his son, D. Jeffrey Smith, for over the last six years of his life as Jeffrey lived with him and they enjoyed the precious last years of his life together. An angel, Julia Sevilla, was Rex’s nurse and caregiver for the last 8 months of his life, and was heaven-sent truly from above. Rex passed away while under Hospice care for two months, with Julia Sevilla, his trusted nurse and Jeff by his side every step of his final journey. Survivors include his son, D. Jeffrey Smith, 61, his grandson, Ryan Thomas Smith Tomko, 33, and his wife, Susan Tomko, and their daughter Geneva Tomko.

Rex will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, VA, and will be with his wife, Jean. Service will be on Tuesday 5 July 2011 at 1: PM in the old chapel at Ft Myer, burial service to follow, with full military honors from the Old Guard, 3rd Infantry Division. Following the services, a luncheon reception will be held in the Ft Myer Officers Club from 2:30 to 4:30 PM.

MILITARY SERVICE: Rex Smith enlisted, as a private, in the United States Army on 8 October 1936 at the age of 14, with a little help from his sister, who signed the enlistment papers as his mother and said he was 18. He retired as a LTC on 31 July 1962 at Presidio of San Francisco, CA after 26 years service at age 40. LTC Smith is the youngest person to have ever joined the U S Army. He began his service as a private on 8 October 1936 and was stationed at Fort Clayton, Panama Canal Zone thru December 1938 with the 33rd Infantry; from 1939 to 1942 at the Army Air Corps, Wheeler Field, and Schofield Barracks Military Police Company, Hawaii. He was at Schofield Barracks at the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941. While assigned to the Schofield Barracks Military Police he received the Soldiers Medal, the 9th highest Army award, for heroism by going down the side of a mountain on 600 feet of rope to recover the body of a lady who fell off the mountain to her death. He was 19 years old at the time. He attended the Military Police Officers Candidate School Class #11, Fort Custer, MI, from January to March 1943, where he became an officer. He was stationed from August 1943 to June 1944 in Iceland and England to prepare and practice for the D-Day landing. He was engaged during the D-Day landing at 7: AM on Utah Beach, Normandy France 6 June 1944 with the First Engineer Amphibious Special Brigade, where his troops under his command moved millions of troops, equipment and supplies inland over a 9 month period. He continued with operations in France, Germany, and Austria through the end of the war to Victory in Europe (VE) day. He was the Chief of the first Criminal Investigation Unit in Manhattan from 1945 to 1949, Provost Marshal Office, and CO, 10th Criminal Investigation Unit, and Manhattan, New York City. He was stationed with the 3rd CID, Fort Gordon, GA 1949 to 1950; 1950 to 1952 3rd CID, and Chief CID, Provost Marshal Office, 8th US Army, Korea; 1952 to 1953 CO, 23rd CID, and 101st CID Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan; Sept to Dec 1953 Officers Associate Advanced Class, Fort Gordon, GA; 1953 to 1956 Operations Officer, and Executive Officer, 701st MP Battalion, Fort Knox, KY; 1956 to 1958 Provost Marshal, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA; 1958 to 1961 Assistant Chief CID, Provost Marshal Office, Headquarters United States Army EUROPE, Heidelberg, Germany; 1961 to July 1962 Chief CID, 6th US Army, Presidio of San Francisco, CA. The following list delineates the Army decorations he received: Soldiers Medal (9th highest award); American Defense Service Medal w/Bronze Service Star; WW II Victory Medal; American Campaign Medal; Army Occupation Medal (Germany and Japan); Humanitarian Service Medal; 8 Overseas/Service Bars; United Nations Service Medal for Korea; National Defense Service Medal; Republic Of Korea Presidential Unit Citation; Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal; Korean Service Medal; and the Armed Forces Service Medal.

CIVILIAN LAW ENFORCEMENT: September 1961 until retirement in September 1978, Inspector and Senior Inspector, District Attorney’s Office, San Mateo County, CA. He had vast experience and truly fulfilling careers in both the U S Army Military Police and Criminal Investigation in the Army and in civilian life with both criminal and civil law enforcement.

RETIREMENT: Rex and Jean, his wife, enjoyed a full and rewarding retirement for 26 years from 1978 filled with a tremendous amount of golf, travel, friends, relatives including their son, Jeff. Jean passed away 25 March 2004 after a 21 month fight also with lung cancer. She passed away at home, under Hospice care, with Rex and Jeff, their son, by her side. On 13 April 2004 Jean was buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Service was held in the old chapel at Ft Meyer, pallbearers were military soldiers from the Old Guard, 3rd Infantry Division. In 2005, Rex fell in his house and broke his hip, and after 2 months in a rehab facility his son, Jeff, decided to move in with him at his house in Belmont Country Club. Rex and Jeff lived together for 6 years, traveled extensively, played golf, and enjoyed the remaining years of Rex’s life together.

RECEPTION: Please send D. Jeffrey Smith an email at djeffrey@smith.net if you plan on attending the funeral at 1: PM and the luncheon at about 2:30 PM on 5 July 2011.

Memorials: Donations may be made to the Cancer Society, Lung Cancer support donations, at the following web site: https://www3681.ssldomain.com/cancersociety/ how_you_can_help/MemorialDonations.php

ARRANGEMENTS & GUEST BOOK: http://www.loudounfuneralchapel.com
(LTC Smith is a member listed on page 84 of your Gold Books)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: