Ferrell "Tom" Smith - RIP

CIDAA Forum: Deaths (Public): Ferrell "Tom" Smith - RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest A. Perry (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 03:04 am:  Edit

Tom was the CIS that helped me with my CID application, was my instructor at CID school, my CIS at Ft. Bragg, and most of all my friend. Like my old buddy John Brown said, there are lots of Tom Smith stories, most of which can only be told in the presence of other CID folk! By the way John, we need to catch up and rehash our story from the D.C. FOP lodge! RIP Tom, you earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard "Padre" Squyres (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:30 am:  Edit

I was saddened to hear about Tom Smith. He was one of our best. I will miss him. He set the standard for being an Agent and a CSM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Adams (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:34 pm:  Edit

Tom was one of a kind. I would guess that anyone who knew him could sit around and tell stories about Tom. He made me laugh until I was in tears on more than one occasion. He will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Patrick (Cidsgmret) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 07:37 am:  Edit

A sad day for the Army and USACIDC. I knew Tom while we were both assigned to 2nd Region as 1SGs. I will always remember our trips to Berchesgarden for the 2nd Region Soldier of the Year event and of course our trips to the beer tent following the board Only problem with having the board there was that the town was located at the bottom of a mountain (after a few beers, it seemed like the Alps) and the hotel on top of the mountain. The trail between the two was through the woods and uphill all the way. We were always dragging someone up the hill, one time it was the wife of a CSM we all knew and loved.

The Army and USACIDC were always in Tomís heart and mind. He was a great teacher and leader of men. USACIDC was the recipient of many of the Soldiers he developed and now they occupy USACIDC leadership positions.

Believe that the following lines from a poem ďA Soldier Died TodayĒ by A. Lawrence Vancourt talks to Tom Smith.

He was getting old and paunchy,
And his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion,
Telling stories of the past.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
For ol'Tom has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer,
For a Soldier died today.

He was just a common Soldier,
And his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us,
We may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict,
Then we find the Soldiers part,
Is to clean up all the troubles,
That the politicians start.

If we can not do him honor,
While he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage,
At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline,
In the paper that might say,
"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

Tom, save me a place at the table and order me a beer. Hopefully the old gang from 2nd Region will be together again when our time comes.

Your friend.

Dick Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Blasingame (Lee_blasingame) on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 01:41 pm:  Edit

Tom was one of the good ones! He was an Agentís Sergeant Major. It made no difference your rank, he cared for us all!! I can not recall a time when he did not have the Agentís best interest at heart. He will be sorely missed but take solace that he now has a seat at the great stamtish. Hereís to you Tommy..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruben C. Young (Rubenyoung) on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:21 pm:  Edit

Tom was the CIS at Bragg when I was the Operations Officer. We became good friends but, unfortunately, I lost track of him over the years. He was the "Best of the Best"! A real good guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Brown (John_brown) on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 03:05 pm:  Edit

For all of us who knew Tom Smith, he was a soldier's soldier. I'm sure there will be many Tom Smith stories to follow. I just spent an hour talking to John Dunaway and we laughed 'til it hurt. From his attempts at bass fishing to the Good Old Boy Roundup that's the way Tom would want it I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William C. Waninger (Waninger) on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:56 am:  Edit

From the Fayetteville Observer: Retired Command Sergeant Major and CID Special Agent, Ferrell Thomas (Tom) Smith, 65, of 4920 Walnut Drive, Fayetteville, died Saturday, November 3, 2007, in Womack Army Medical Center on Fort Bragg. Smith was an Army veteran with 31 years service. Services: Graveside with military honors, 10 am Thursday in Sandhills State Veterans Cemetary in Spring Lake. Visitation 7 to 9 tonight at Reevees Funeral Home in Hope Mills. Survived by fiancee Mae Roberson, sons Jay and Richard, sisters Anita and Martha, and 7 grandchildren. Memorials: The Fisher House, 12 Bassett Street, Fort Bragg, NC 28307

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: